Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Top 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Top 10
    Posted: July 15 2019 at 09:53
Top 10 artists(more lists may come later)
1.) Mangala vallis - terranova. This song is a masterpiece. Very prog/italian prog that reminds me of pavorotti and andrea bocelli style music. 

2.) Arena pins and needles, mea culpa, the visitor, Elea, friday’s dream…
Arena is a band that remains unbeaten when it comes to me.  I loved the way how Arena can portray concepts in s way that is depressing but that one can really relate to almost in very serious tone where Mea Culpa takes the torch - you have done something unforgivable and now has to pay the price. I do not like depressing music, but music tha tcan speak to a depressed person. Arena does this magnificently. I really admire how it “syncs” with your depressive mood in a way of saying that we are a lll f**ked and can really talk to you and to your soul. Which is what divides the wheat from the chaff.

3.) Cairo - Seasons of the heart - This is song should actually be number 1 on my list for any prog album. I fyou do not know this song, listen to it NOW. Cairo is easily a band as large as ELP and any othe rprog rock band. They deserve a medal for fame. The whole songs tells a deep story and the trasitioning is magnificent. 

4.) Illusion of Control - Jeremias. There is something that reminded me of Shrek 2 and Ratchet and Clank 1, as well as James Bond, Rogue Spear, and No one Lives Forever 1.

Because I am a 90s guy, I love the feeling of 90s pop in general and there was something reminiscing my childhood and fantasy driven dreams in the is album. I really admire fantasy driven albums like this.

5.)Frost, Lonely Robot, albums, Kino. I love these albums from John Mitchell. 

6.) Aimee Mann - Wake up. Again a song with extremely nice etherealness that makes one sad almost and is so beautiful at the same time.

7.) Hangover Paradise - wake me up. The last part of wake me up was the most beautiful think in the world I ever heard. The lyrics are also well crafted."Dont wake me up, dont wake me up again, dont wake me up again(Awesome end piece in the music)". Definitely reminds me of my early University days, very union like.

8.) Emerson Lake and Powell - love blind. I truly love th e80s vibe to this where it is reminiscing of we laundry and sunlight soap, as well as sunshine and good vibes in the air. ELP is the best. 

9.) Legend of Zelda, Sims 4 pets, etc were also very nice music I listen to and reminds me of my childhood and just is amazing to listen to.

10.). I and thou - Speak. Rock Opera. I love the Dream Theater Octavarium feel. It is extremely nostalgic, almost like being at the top of a watchtower at night like that Casper movie scene(Saw it long time ago), but almost the feel of something hidden you discovered and you sneak out at night to re-announce an exiting time that is almost abandoned by others.

I dont know what my music tastes fall into but I find most prog rock too bombastic and bores me to death. I tend to like deeper music with more intense story lines, especially melancholic traces.
I dont like mainstream prog rock. Something in the vein of Iamthemorning is much more appearling to me in general although I do not know specific songs I enjoy about them.

Edited by Lydianlover - July 15 2019 at 10:44
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 10:05
So how many albums are in your top 10?
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 10:33
You tell me, bud.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 13:29
I never did understand numbers on this site - whenever people start discussing “The Big Five” there are usually at least six groups mentioned, sometimes seven .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 13:51
OP meant top ten artists, not albums, right?
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 14:13
fwiw

My ten favorite musical artists (6.-10. unranked)

1. Yes
2. They Might Be Giants
=============
3. Fela Kuti
4. Klaus Schulze
=============
5. The Beatles
=============
* Chuck Berry
* Daryl Hall & John Oates
* Paul McCartney / Wings
* Prince
* Stevie Wonder

I’m on the right site, right?

My next ten faves, unranked

* Herb Alpert / Tijuana Brass
* The Beach Boys
* Wendy Carlos
* Electric Light Orchestra
* Ben Folds / Ben Folds Five
* The Four Seasons / Frankie Valli
* Genesis
* Joan Jett / Blackhearts
* The Pointer Sisters
* Donna Summer

Edited by patrickq - July 15 2019 at 14:15
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 14:19
There is more than one band called Cairo so not sure which one the OP is talking about. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 15:21
Google cairo seasons of the heart. Listen to it, pretty much my grand slam prog rock song as good as any other ELP or Genesis song. Just too bad it never got recognision. I keep listening to this song and it gets better over time. I love the dramatics.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 15:27
Lyrics to this beautiful touching song:

The wind is telling me it's time

Rain beating on my head
Calling out, calling out my name
Is this the coming of the storm
Are we at the point of no returning again
Could it really be the end

Change in you, I see it in me
Season of the Heart
Everything turns & comes around
Season of the Heart

A million suns light the night
The echo of a deeper sound
Turning me, turning me around
And though it calls us to come
Look how little we have really even begun
How much good we have done

Change in you, I see it in me
Season of the Heart
Hope and love start within
Season of the Heart

All things, all people wait for the time
Seasons keep changing, only to find
All in the past will repeat again
Is this the season of your heart?

And when it's time for me to go
I pray that I will know - love will carry me
Out of this darkened world ... into the light

Within the sands of reason there runs a spring eternally
Below the waves of sorrow there burns a flame that never falters
To understand intention, to close your eyes and see your way

Within the sands of reason there runs a spring eternally
Beyond the cloud of question, a silver line that holds the key
The journey lies awaiting, this your time
Your time
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 15:37
The Cairo album I have is a monster so it reminds me to dig it out. One the best keyboard driven albums since the seventies.

Please to see some praise for John Mitchell. That guy is an immense talent.

Emerson ,Lake and Powell - Love Blind. Actually one of my favourite songs from that albums along with Touch and go and Learning to Fly. The shorter tracks work best for me while the longer tracks just sound a bit clumsy to my ears. I also like Vacant Possession although that was not included on the original release but only later made available on a later re-issue.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 15:55
I agree, I find most prog to be very boring and just try to be overly complicated. I do not like mainstream prog, and much of the older stuff I do not find any quality in. John Mitchell is my favourite, I think the genre we would be more into is opera rock/symphonic rock, 

Also, do you like this song as much as I do? Reminds me of dream theater octavarium:
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 17:37
There was a band on Magna Carta at least 15 years ago called Cairo. I heard their first two but would not put them on the level of ELP or even close. Not bad but not head and shoulders above any of the other albums on that label. They were compared to ELP though so maybe that is them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 15 2019 at 17:39
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 19:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There was a band on Magna Carta at least 15 years ago called Cairo. I heard their first two but would not put them on the level of ELP or even close. Not bad but not head and shoulders above any of the other albums on that label. They were compared to ELP though so maybe that is them.
They were a neo-prog/symphonic group out of San Francisco. I agree, their first two were meh, though I liked Time of Legends (2001).

Edited by patrickq - July 15 2019 at 19:52
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 23:52
^ yep its their debut album (1994) I have and surprisingly only getting 3.36 rating on PA. That seems very low to me but I need to dig it out again and have a good listen. 
I'm interested that they have two other albums so I may try and track those down.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 02:14
Had a listen to all 3 Cairo albums. The debut is very strong on the latter part of the album. The second one is a powerful album indeed and I also like the third. I would put them ahead of a lot of ELP influenced bands as they pack a real punch and there is nothing 'weedy' about their music!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:41
I honestly can't stop listening to seasons of the heart. Every bit of that song is easily as good as Emerson Lake and Palmer and send chills down my spine. The lyrics are so spiritual as well and really give you a sense of unity with the universe. The cover gives me a sense of what the music is about - spirituality as symbolised by the Egyptian pyramids.
 Post Reply Post Reply