10 [21.28%]
3 [6.38%]
20 [42.55%]
8 [17.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 23:21
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The debut flows really well and they were trying really hard to be a 'real' prog band. By Leftoverture they had evolved into a 'crossover' band!  I'm never sure why that album gets so much love.

Because it's freaking brilliant from end to end. 

Look, I'll take prog over pop any day, but having elements of crossover doesn't automatically invalidate music, even prog.  That that album could crossover and still be so excellent is just extra testament to its greatness.  

Probably a third of my prog collection is 'crossover' so I can't really disagree and I never said it was invalid I just don't get why its the automatic pick. Admittedly I've never liked Magnum Opus at all although there are some decent songs. Kansas are one of the best bands I've ever seen live but that album just feels a bit flat to me and has no real dynamics. IMO of course.

Edited by richardh - July 17 2019 at 23:22
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 01:07
I've always preferred their first album the most.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 08:29

The debut flows really well and they were trying really hard to be a 'real' prog band. By Leftoverture they had evolved into a 'crossover' band!  I'm never sure why that album gets so much love.

Because it's freaking brilliant from end to end. 

Look, I'll take prog over pop any day, but having elements of crossover doesn't automatically invalidate music, even prog.  That that album could crossover and still be so excellent is just extra testament to its greatness.  

Probably a third of my prog collection is 'crossover' so I can't really disagree and I never said it was invalid I just don't get why its the automatic pick. Admittedly I've never liked Magnum Opus at all although there are some decent songs. Kansas are one of the best bands I've ever seen live but that album just feels a bit flat to me and has no real dynamics. IMO of course.

Interesting.  I find it to be the liveliest of their albums. It's not quite as intense as Point of No Return and it doesn't have the epics of Song for America, but it has tremendous variety; every song has something that makes it entirely unique and special, thus holding my interest from end to end.  I love each individual song, all for different reasons, and yet they somehow all come together for a most satisfying listening experience in toto.  You've got power and you've got laments, you've got big guitars and swirling keyboards and truly grand symphonic prog, you've got soaring vocals and plaintive balladry.  And where else in the music world (including classical) can you find such fantastic 4 part  counterpoint as centers Miracles out of Nowhere?  

Sorry, I could gush about this one for hours.  I loved it when it came out, but unlike most such albums where burnout becomes a factor, this one has actually continued to grow even further on me over time.  
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:24
It's close but that debut is perfection!!! (Leftoverture is a very close second but those first six Kansas albums were awesome.)
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 17:34
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

It's close but that debut is perfection!!! (Leftoverture is a very close second but those first six Kansas albums were awesome.)

Yes! Monolith is badly overlooked by most. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:25
I voted for Song for America, because Leftoverture has a big lead, but I love ALL these albums. Every one of them is indispensable. It's a magnificent five-album run. Kansas is awesome!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:00
As good as song for america is I still think leftoverture is their best. The only song on there I'm not that crazy about is "what's on my mind." The rest is mostly mind blowing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:30

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:03

Yes! Monolith is badly overlooked by most. 

I LOVE MONOLITH!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 02:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I guess your such a great fan you just couldn't find the words to express your appreciation Smile
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 02:27
Left
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 03:19
Leftoverture
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 05:21
all 5 are legendary albums and particulary their best albums in their career. For me Song For America tops anything by them
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 07:50
Gotta go with the majority here...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 07:54
It seems I already voted here and posts cannot be deleted on the phone. Ignore this

Edited by Cristi - August 23 2019 at 08:00
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 08:13
(Monolith should be included here.)

The debut is one of my all time favorite LP's with Leftoverture close behind.

Great, great band.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 15:18

(Monolith should be included here.)

The debut is one of my all time favorite LP's with Leftoverture close behind.

Great, great band.

Not a fan of monolith, very uninspired and downright cringe worthy at times (stay out of trouble)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12