Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Beautiful Book of Bass - Geddy Lee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Beautiful Book of Bass - Geddy Lee
    Posted: July 16 2019 at 13:09
Apologize if this book has been discussed previously.
If you are a musician, in particular a bassist , this book is a reference quality, 9 lbs behemoth filled with 1000 photos of Geddys' extensive bass guitar collection. Interviews and great stories too.
More fun is to put on R-40 and follow along with his instrument changes.
I can't say enough about it. Worth every penny. Even better if you get to one of his meet and greet book signings.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 15:42
Agreed. Incredible pictures, superb book. Can you believe Geddy has that many basses in his collection? Where does he store them?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 16 2019 at 15:43
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 01:36
Incredible pictures and quality but the book is limited in terms of bass guitar information. It sticks to mostly Fender (which is understood), but it's most certainly not a be-all-end-all bass resource like many make it out to be.

Definitely worth snagging and owning regardless!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:05
Not mostly Fender. He does have a sizable Fender collection, but there is a ton of other stuff.
Gibson and Epiphone, Rickenbacker, Hofner, Hagstrom, and more.
The attention to detail is superb for those who fall down that rabbit hole and are fans of the instruments.
the interviews are excellent too. I didn't know Bill Wyman made his first electric bass and played it extensively on The Stones records.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 13:16
So Geddy's an angler (yuk, yuk).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:52
Sounds great.  Thanks for the recommendation!
 Post Reply Post Reply