Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you stand on prog metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Where do you stand on prog metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [19.75%]
6 [7.41%]
27 [33.33%]
9 [11.11%]
3 [3.70%]
4 [4.94%]
10 [12.35%]
6 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 06:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I rarely see any posts or polls about prog metal so was just wondering what most on here think of it.

If I remember rightly, this forum had shed loads of Prog Metal posts and fans about a decade ago.
Then they must have gone elsewhere or shut up.

I'm not a fan of it myself, but then I stopped being a teenager before Dream Theatre started
rotten hound of the burnie crew
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 09:36
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I rarely see any posts or polls about prog metal so was just wondering what most on here think of it.

If I remember rightly, this forum had shed loads of Prog Metal posts and fans about a decade ago.

I'm not a fan of it myself, but then I stopped being a teenager before Dream Theatre started

What does being a teen have to do with liking prog metal? LOL
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:51

I wonder if there's a correlation between age and those who like prog metal vs those who don't. 

Potentially, but not in my case, I don't think. 

I'm of that age where my first beloved bands were KISS, AC/DC, and Judas Priest. Rush led me away from metal toward prog (going backward toward Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc.), while I was also absorbing punk and post-punk. I pretty much ignored most of what was going on in metal during the hey day of hair and thrash. 

In the last ten years, though, I'd say the music that has thrilled me the most has been in various forms of metal (from Gojira, Alcest, Opeth, Sleep and Zeal + Ardor, and on and on). 

In terms of what this site has specifically labeled as progressive metal, I can say I adore Riverside (seen them twice live now) but Dream Theater have never clicked for me.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 12:05

oh you remember correctly. This forum crawled with those acne scarred blue balled scum haha. They were tolerated for some time but I remember well...the tipping point.. it was the poll I saw one day.. 'Petrucci's favorite breakfast cereal'. On top of nearly every single prog poll on the first page.. being DT related.

needless to say .. I lost my sh*t LOL.. and mustered the AR thugs and Symphonic horsemen and let slip the dogs of war.... and we ran down every single f**king DT fan we saw..the innocent and weak of convinction were easily displosed of... the fun ones were those mouthy enough to resist.. and they were shot down in cold blood.

as you say.. good luck finding that stuff.  The admins blasted those and the bloodbath that resulted in the forum during that time.. and purged the forum of those thread just as efficiently and we did of their fans. Zapped into atomic dust man.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:02
I'm about to turn 55 and I love prog metal. I was well past teenhood when DT dropped Images and Words and all I could say was "Where have you been all my life?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:41
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I'm about to turn 55 and I love prog metal. I was well past teenhood when DT dropped Images and Words and all I could say was "Where have you been all my life?"

Before you heard I&W were you already a fan of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Queensryche? I won't include Metallica because they were thrash but basically I'm just curious if you were already a bit of a metal head when you first got into Dream Theater.

Anyway, I don't like metal or prog metal all the time but sometimes it definitely hits the spot. I can imagine it being good music for when you are in a bad mood and need something a bit aggressive to listen to to calm your nerves maybe.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 21 2019 at 15:44
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:58
Difficult for me to find a great prog metal masterpiece. I like it, but love symphonic or neo prog.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:25
The whole "metal is for teenagers" deal has pretty much lost its luster through the decades. At a metal gig I went to recently, featuring black and death metal bands like Dark Funeral and Incantation, there was a fair amount of gray hair in the crowd. Hell, some of these bands consist of dudes in their fifties. 

As for young metal fans, the scuzzy weed-scented long-hair types of the 80's have gradually been being replaced by a much nerdier crowd, at least it seems that way.

Also, if you are physically fit, don't buy a metal shirt at a gig. It's like the shirt gets wider towards the lower half. I guess it makes sense given that the average metal fan is either too chubby or scrawny for well-formed shirts. In fact, the best bet is getting an XL girls shirt. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 03:15
none of this options suits my take on this genre. 
I like it generally but I've heard some godawful stuff as well (but then again I can say this about any genre LOL)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 03:53
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

The whole "metal is for teenagers" deal has pretty much lost its luster through the decades. At a metal gig I went to recently, featuring black and death metal bands like Dark Funeral and Incantation, there was a fair amount of gray hair in the crowd. Hell, some of these bands consist of dudes in their fifties. 

As for young metal fans, the scuzzy weed-scented long-hair types of the 80's have gradually been being replaced by a much nerdier crowd, at least it seems that way.

Also, if you are physically fit, don't buy a metal shirt at a gig. It's like the shirt gets wider towards the lower half. I guess it makes sense given that the average metal fan is either too chubby or scrawny for well-formed shirts. In fact, the best bet is getting an XL girls shirt. 

I'm laughing because you're spot on LOLClap.

I played in the scene for years in and around Boston/Manchester, and you described it to a T. Most band shirts suck now because they use those dense, heavy AAA cotton T's that are like wearing an egg carton. I got to meet Incantation a couple years back at MDF, great guys!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 08:41
I personally I am not so much in metal except Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth and Alice in Chains. I am a rock music lover. Symphonic prog, eclectic prog and heavy prog are my cup of tea on prog side
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 11:07
Originally posted by Arnulf Floyd Arnulf Floyd wrote:

I personally I am not so much in metal except Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth and Alice in Chains. I am a rock music lover. Symphonic prog, eclectic prog and heavy prog are my cup of tea on prog side

None of those bands are typically considered prog metal although imo IM and Metallica have had prog elements and moments at times. I can't really speak to JP but apparently they have as well(but maybe not to the same extent). 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 03:16
I chose the second option, "I like it a lot but it's not one of my top 2 or 3 subgenres". My two favourite Progressive Metal artists are Ayreon & Dream Theater. I like every album I've ever heard by those two technically proficient Metal artists. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 11 2019 at 03:20
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 03:29
I like some/Have to be in the mood.

It's not something I listen to with much enthusiasm, although I've seen Dream Theater and Opeth a few times and they're always good live.

To be honest I prefer straight metal over prog metal, notably classic metal and not modern stuff where the drums all sound hyper processed and the playing seemingly computer programmed flawless. I like it rough around the edges; old Sabbath, Priest, Motorhead etc.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:14
Still cant vote but for me it a mix of 

"I like it a lot" and "have to be in the mood" love a lot of metal  - prog and not prog - but have to be in a special mood. 

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:20
"I like it a lot but it's not one of my top 2 or 3 subgenres" definitely fits my stance. I listen to Prog Metal quite often actually.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 06:25

I guess it is also that there was a peak of very good new and interesting "harder" Prog around 15-20 years ago, with a lot of Love for bands like DreamT - Tool - Opeth - Riverside - Mars Volta - Pain of Salvation and many more.

Some of them have changes, some are gone and if the still exist they are not ground breaking anymore.

NB: The age thing is overrated - many young people listen to old music, and many old people like myself listen to loads of young bands.      

Edited by tamijo_II - October 11 2019 at 06:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234