Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you stand on prog metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Where do you stand on prog metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [19.75%]
6 [7.41%]
27 [33.33%]
9 [11.11%]
3 [3.70%]
4 [4.94%]
10 [12.35%]
6 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:28
While I can get into it on occasion when the mood strikes, it all tends to sound the same to me; many of the bands are interchangeable.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's not a matter of like vs not like, but rather not including options which aren't mutually exclusive.

In any case I did indeed cast the initial vote under the first option as it seemed closest to my sentiment.

Oh for crying out loud! Confused This isn't a logic class it's a freaking prog poll. 

Obviously it is about liking vs not liking since you were complaining about it. You wouldn't complain if you liked it. Anyway, not that I really care but I changed it anyway and so I hope you are happy now. Smile If not then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not changing it again. You can start your own poll. Also, you should consider changing your user name to pedantic progger. ;)

Anyway, no the first option as of now still has zero which means you must have chosen the second option. 

I wasn't complaining, just pointing out a potential difficulty for voters. Really wasn't meant to be a biggie.  I still went ahead and picked the one that I thought most closely represented my thoughts on the subject.  It's not like I was launching some sort of boycott here.  

So you eventually chose option number one then(after I changed it)?

Yes.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:36
Voted Other, I like some, but dislike a lot, if if comes from the Avant scene then I'm much more likely to like it, Sleepytime, Unexpect, Stolen Babies, Behold The Arctopus, etc.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:55
I've found some great prog metal, but found others that should have stayed locked up in the CheezWhiz bottle.  Pretty much like all of the genres, some is good, some is not, I try to give every genre a chance, and always seem to find some good everywhere.  But if you don't try, you won't find the real treasures.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:19
I like the sound of metal.
I like the composition and musicianship of prog. 

So it only makes sense that I like progressive metal.  
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:29
It has its moments. I have to be in the mood.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:35

My recollection was that, in the original poll, I chose the first option.  (if my recollection was correct that the first option was I love it and the second was it's not my fave) Hence my point that I participated despite any concerns in logic I may have had.  

I was as yet unaware you had changed the poll until I read your response, hence I had not yet had an opportunity to revote.  

I believe you voted for the second option since when you made your initial statement there was still a zero next to the first one. Not a big deal though. I have since changed it to be more "mutually exclusive" as you put it.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 12:26
Where do you stand on prog metal?

Probably on the chest, but if you really want to stop it from moving, you'll most likely need a second person to hold its legs down.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 12:39
I had to go look at the top albums and I don't have any of them so really not my cup of tea.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 12:58
I like Dream Theater & Riverside in small doses.I haven't really check a lot of other stuff out.  I'm not always a big fan of stuff being heavy for the sake of being heavy. I like it if they back off once & a while to give in some dynamic contrast. Otherwise it get overwhelming & tedious.  

Edited by Argo2112 - July 17 2019 at 13:03
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 13:02
As a genre, I just can't fathom the appeal.  It's got too much macho aggression to be good progressive rock, and compositionally, it overthinks things too much to be good metal.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 13:26
I haven't heard much and...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 13:38
Overheard a 12-year-old singing “We’re Not Gonna Take It” today.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 13:51
I usually stand as far away as possible
Songs cast a light on you
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 14:13
Like some of it, certain bands, DT, Haken, Vanden Plaus. However, any growl vocals make me laugh so I don't indulge in that.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:08
I wonder if there's a correlation between age and those who like prog metal vs those who don't. 
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:09
If Dream Theater, Symphony X or Opeth count then it's ok - I like them all and listen them rather often (I've even used to accept Akerfeldt growling on older records :-)  ). But to say I love it or like it a lot... hmmm. Sometimes. Probably the third option is for me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:15
I had to go with the in the mood vote.  I like a lot of prog metal bands but have an aversion to "cookie monster" vocals which make me cringe.  I'm sort of surprise that noone has mentioned Heavy Devy as a favorite metal artist.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:19
not really a fan; it sounds too "put on" to me. but I like Skyclad a lot

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 15:48
It's delicious and nutritious!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>