Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you stand on prog metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Where do you stand on prog metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [19.75%]
6 [7.41%]
27 [33.33%]
9 [11.11%]
3 [3.70%]
4 [4.94%]
10 [12.35%]
6 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 17:46
I Like some of it but not all. Third choice. I listen expecially to DT and Tool. They are Great but they tend to excess and so, before the end of the album they become tedious. Then I like some of Riverside and Opeth. Anywayit's not easy to me to reach five stars with Progressive Metal.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 19:20
The more I try to like it, the less I do. Many bands I've tried, highly rated by prog metal fans, but it doesn't do it for me. I respect the bands that work very hard recording this type of music though, but I guess it's not my cup of tea. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 19:45
Torn between "I like it a lot" and "I like some of it but not all/ have to be in the mood."

The prog-metal bands I love — Fates Warning, Savatage, Queensryche, (early) Eternity X, Dream Theater, and most Threshold — are the ones I love. I'll never part with their albums. 

But after a sorta-kinda burnout some years ago, I stopped actively seeking out prog-metal because those bands (and some I forgot to mention) really cover all the necessary ground with respect to a fusion of heavy melodic metal and symph prog. Unless I stumble on something that blows me away, those bands cover it. And yes, I used to listen to the likes of PoS, Ayreon and Symphony X, but it didn't last. I'm not counting King's X as "prog-metal" because to me they're not. They're just an awesome heavy rock band. Rush isn't prog-metal, either (though they likely spawned it). 
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 07:21
There are a couple of bands that exhibit some characteristics of metal that I enjoy. But if it gets TOO heavy -- especially if they start the gruff vocals -- it turns me off.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 07:54
I like Nightwish a lot but some would argue they are really symphonic metal more than prog
I like Mago de Oz but they are more folk metal than prog
etc

Edited by kenethlevine - July 18 2019 at 07:55
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I like Nightwish a lot but some would argue they are really symphonic metal more than prog
etc

That reminds me of the Peruvian band Flor De Loto who are considered folk prog but when I saw them live they were very metallish. Just because a band has a flute player it doesn't make them folk prog. LOL Good band though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 18 2019 at 09:22
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:24
Not a fan.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

etc

That reminds me of the Peruvian band Flor De Loto who are considered folk prog but when I saw them live they were very metallish. Just because a band has a flute player it doesn't make them folk prog. LOL Good band though.

Great band!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Not a fan.

So which option did you chose then? I admit my choices weren't the best. I probably made it too complicated.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 10:32
Not much of a fan...I own one true prog metal album and that's Awake by Dream Theater....and I don't think I have played that for well over a year.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 12:24
I very rarely listen to it, the enjoyment just isn't there anymore.

Iron Maiden is the sole metal band I listen on a regular basis.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:36
love me some Metal..  like me some prog...

but pretty much hate prog metal minus a select few bands...  oil and water really..  and the vast quantity of piss, sh*t, vomit and vaginal discharge hat one can find filed under 'prog metal' goes to show just how difficult it really is to mix them and do it well.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 21:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

etc

I've got a pair of Flor de Loto albums. I do think they have some nice folk elements, and even though they go near metal territory, I don't think it's right to call them prog metal... it would be more like prog that is heavy... there seems to be a good deal of it nowdays.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 23:22
^You might change your mind if you saw them live. I'm not necessarily calling them metal anyway though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 19:57
^ One of those albums I have is a live album, with DVD included. And indeed they can be heavy, I'm not discussing that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 21:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ One of those albums I have is a live album, with DVD included. And indeed they can be heavy, I'm not discussing that.

Ok, let's not discuss it. LOL
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 14:56
Other,

It used to be great, yet for a long time it has been sucking big djent sh*t, generally...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 16:04
The results have been very interesting so far to say the least. I seriously think everyone should at least give prog metal a chance. There are many different styles and sounds and to just write it all off as crap without hearing much would be a big mistake imo.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 21:23
Metal / heavy guitars seem to have gotten into most modern prog bands anyway (even if the bands don't go full metal)... almost as much the rock element was part of prog in the 70's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 22:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Metal / heavy guitars seem to have gotten into most modern prog bands anyway (even if the bands don't go full metal)... almost as much the rock element was part of prog in the 70's.

While I don't really agree with that analogy I do agree with the fact that metal and or heavy guitars have infiltrated modern prog to a great degree. I think it would be hard to pinpoint which band or bands started that trend but Magic Pie's first album in 2005 had it as did Porcupine Tree's "in absentia" and 2000's "immortal?" by Arena. Even before that you had the bands Mastermind and Par Lindh Project in the 90's with metallish guitars and even some of the Flower Kings sort of leaned in that direction a bit. So while it is really nothing new it has become very common place. Maybe even to the point where it is hard to avoid it if you are buying modern prog albums. So yeah, there can definitely be a thin line between prog metal and heavy prog. That's for sure. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 20 2019 at 22:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>