Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Research Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Research Survey
    Posted: July 18 2019 at 05:49
Hi guys,
I am currently working on my master thesis on basically the contemporary conception of progressive music (it is a bit more complicated than that, but it is better to leave it on a vague level, for now). A section of my work will be dedicated on how progressive music fans contribute in the construction of a canon, and the questions in the survey I am linking to you will be of great help for me. Up to now I have received a decent number of surveys back, but it is still not enough to prove anything, so I need your help.

If you want to help, I beg you to answer at least to the mandatory questions of the survey (they are just 4-5), and please send the document to whoever you think might be interested in it.

Thank you so much!
Enjoy

Edited by Mattone - July 18 2019 at 05:49
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:18
I just completed the survey. Fun.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:51
What degree are you working towards?
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:11
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Master of Musicology. It that exists at all, I think it is the foreign equivalent of the degree I am about to get in Italy, after two years of master course in musicology and, previously, three of bachelor course in philosophy. I hope this is an appropriate answer.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:17
I did the survey too.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:29
I did it. Personally if it was my survey I would include things like "how did you get into prog?", 
"what bands first turned you onto prog?" and "when did you first discover prog?"(what decade) But then again I have a degree in sociology so these kinds of more social aspects interest me. :)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 18 2019 at 14:30
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I did it. Personally if it was my survey I would include things like "how did you get into prog?", 
"what bands first turned you onto prog?" and "when did you first discover prog?"(what decade) But then again I have a degree in sociology so these kinds of more social aspects interest me. :)
Well, those aspects could be of some interest for me as well, but since I am more interested about the perception that fans have of prog, I focused more on questions about the music and less on questions that could bring the research close to the formation of a kind of "average progressive guy" profile. Since I am convinced that genres are created by audiences (and industry, and press and so on), I am interested in discovering which bands are considered to be the most representative of the genre by its audience, and on the base of which features. Then I will figure out a "provisory canon" of progressive music (based on these and other datas) and then analyze some tracks by a selection of those artists, to show how different those examples are. So what makes prog "prog", if the musical matter varies so much? Of course it is a choice made by the social agents mentioned above, but maybe there is something more, because up to now almost everyone of the 120 people that answered the survey agree that Igorrr is "closer to prog" than Banks (which of course I kind of expected). So there must be something about the music, as well. My task is to understand how this thing works, which is possibly the same as it works in other genres, but maybe in prog it is more evident because it is an extreme example. So I hope I will be able to say something interesting about the formation and negotiation of musical genres in general... or at least to say something that can show how unstable, variable and rich is the contemporary progressive situation.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:56
Submitted.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:31
Done!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 04:43
Originally posted by Mattone Mattone wrote:

Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Master of Musicology. It that exists at all, I think it is the foreign equivalent of the degree I am about to get in Italy, after two years of master course in musicology and, previously, three of bachelor course in philosophy. I hope this is an appropriate answer.
very interesting!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 09:35
Sorted. That was fun, and I rather enjoyed that Vampillia vid.....
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
RandomChange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandomChange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:16
Done!
Facebook.com/randomchangeband
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:21
Enjoyable exercise! Some interesting new music, too.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:43
Done that. Bit busy at the moment or I'd fill it in several times with contradictory answers representing my views on the subject on Monday morning, Thursday afternoon and Sunday evening after a fortifying glass of turps.

p.s. Some of us actually think Igorr is pretty good. I know I'm not the only one...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:54
I did it too. I think I would have asked different question had I done such a survey, but that's normal. I even learned something; I had not heard of "djent" yet, and to be honest the specific feature of it goes on my nerves after a while

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 11:38
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Me too, thought they were a lot of fun!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 12:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Done that. Bit busy at the moment or I'd fill it in several times with contradictory answers representing my views on the subject on Monday morning, Thursday afternoon and Sunday evening after a fortifying glass of turps.

p.s. Some of us actually think Igorr is pretty good. I know I'm not the only one...

Ahah yeah, things are quite unstable for everyone I guess. That's the main reason I am doing this.

I actually love Igorrr, that's for sure ;) (and Banks and Vampillia too, by the way).

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I did it too. I think I would have asked different question had I done such a survey, but that's normal. I even learned something; I had not heard of "djent" yet, and to be honest the specific feature of it goes on my nerves after a while

I am glad you were able to discover some new music, though apparently you won't take much advantage of that, at least for now. I can understand the point, though I am pretty much into that kind of music as well.
And yes, of course everyone would have asked different questions, it also depends on the specific things you are doing research on. In facts, every single "how much do you agree" question is about a topic that I have discussed earlier in the thesis ('earlier' compared to where I am going to comment the results of this survey).

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Me too, thought they were a lot of fun!

Looks like many people listened to the videos from start to finish or something like that, which makes me feel almost guilty since I randomly chose long tracks... but at least if someone finds those videos fun, I can chill out a bit. 

Actually Vampillia are totally out of this world. I saw them live with Alcest last year and they were unbelievable. Don't miss them if they'll ever come to your city!

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 12:28
Completed. I had to change my answer when it came to most canonical bands after I reread and saw that it was asking for “active” bands. I went with King Crimson, Henry Kaiser, and Daniel Crommie & Glyn Havard. The last was a real stretch when it comes to active. I didn’t even think of Steven Wilson or IQ. I figured Anglagard to be inactive. Jade Warrior has promised a new album for far too long to be active.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 19:06
submitted.. and yeah..  you'll find my take likely the exception than the rule. 

you really do need to hammer home the difference.. and brother it is a vast one. between prog and progressive. Two very difference musical worlds.. and with two sets of fans with some overlap but as I've seen over the years on sites like this. Not as much overlap as one might think.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 20:36
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

submitted.. and yeah..  you'll find my take likely the exception than the rule. 

you really do need to hammer home the difference.. and brother it is a vast one. between prog and progressive. Two very difference musical worlds.. and with two sets of fans with some overlap but as I've seen over the years on sites like this. Not as much overlap as one might think.

As an example at my last few years at Progday I saw very few people wearing Rosfest shirts there and Rosfest had been well established by then. For me Progday is a progressive or progressive rock festival while Rosfest was(and is)a prog rock festival(and at times prog metal). I don't think many prog metal bands have played at progday. There are certainly fans like myself who like both but many seem to feel the need to take sides. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 19 2019 at 20:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>