Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Research Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 20:53
Completed.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stygian Heresy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 23:06
I enjoyed your survey, Mattone.  Best wishes on your continued education in this important department!
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 04:55
We reached 215 entries and so today I have closed the survey and started to analyze the datas (which are very interesting). I think that I will translate at least the paragraph concerning this stuff in English, and as soon as I will do it, I will post it here, somehow, so if you are interested in the results you will be able to know something at least about these specific topics.

Thank you all so much!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:02
far out man... and way to go forum. Beer Are those 215 strictly from this thread, this forum or did you cast a wider net for entries?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

far out man... and way to go forum. Beer Are those 215 strictly from this thread, this forum or did you cast a wider net for entries?
I am pretty sure that quite a lot of entries came from this forum, but I also spammed it on various Facebook groups related to prog and such, which also helped a lot.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:16
ahh.. cool. Here have a clappie Beerand a damn good American craft that will knock you on your ass if you aren't careful (an 11.0r).  Beer Though I must say.. much like the US..  Italy sure upped their game when it comes to beers. Yeah the wine is great but that is a little too high class for me. You all have some good craft beer sh*t going on there.

Anyhow.. Look forward to seeing what you came up with
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 13:35
Originally posted by Mattone Mattone wrote:

We reached 215 entries and so today I have closed the survey and started to analyze the datas (which are very interesting). I think that I will translate at least the paragraph concerning this stuff in English, and as soon as I will do it, I will post it here, somehow, so if you are interested in the results you will be able to know something at least about these specific topics.

Thank you all so much!

Looking forward to seeing the results and wishing you all the best on your thesis! 

I agree with others who mentioned enjoying the music in the survey. How did you end up choosing the samples for this?

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:51
I'd have taken part or at least written a comment but didn't have time the few days this was open. I had something to say on it but can't properly reconstruct it not being able to see the survey anymore.

Edited by Lewian - July 21 2019 at 16:53
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 18:27
^ shame you missed that. I think you would have found it interesting, considering your tastes, based upon the questions he was asking and what I suspect he was driving at in asking them.
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 05:04

ahh.. cool. Here have a clappie Beerand a damn good American craft that will knock you on your ass if you aren't careful (an 11.0r).  Beer Though I must say.. much like the US..  Italy sure upped their game when it comes to beers. Yeah the wine is great but that is a little too high class for me. You all have some good craft beer sh*t going on there.

Anyhow.. Look forward to seeing what you came up with

Thanks and yes, we do have some good beers, though I am mostly a fan of Paulaner and Guinness. But, by the way, where I live (near the border with Austria) they produce a beer that I also enjoy, which is called Forst and maybe is not so well known outside the area, but I love it (maybe there's a little bit of patriotism here). 

Originally posted by Sentient Ear Sentient Ear wrote:

Thank you all so much!

Looking forward to seeing the results and wishing you all the best on your thesis! 

I agree with others who mentioned enjoying the music in the survey. How did you end up choosing the samples for this?

Thank you and well, the samples were chosen basically because 1. I always thought Igorrr was a great example of progressiveness, though he is not part of the canon; 2. These days I am very much into Banks since she just released a great album and I needed something plausibly far from prog to mention in this survey, so she was the first one that came into my mind; 3. I saw Vampillia live recently and I was blown away. Nothing to add about Big Big Train, I guess.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd have taken part or at least written a comment but didn't have time the few days this was open. I had something to say on it but can't properly reconstruct it not being able to see the survey anymore.

That's quite a shame, man: every observation might be very useful. Yet we can still discuss those thoughts here. I am sorry about the very short life of the survey, but actually I was a bit in a hurry because this was not in my plans (it is not an ethnographic research, but I thought that such a survey could enrich the chapter about the reception of progressive music and the construction of a canon, since there is not too much bibliography on that matter) and so I had to close it as soon as a decent goal was achieved, to be able to go on with the thesis. By the way the number of entries was pretty much slowing down to the point of death, and so I thought that the results of my spamming activity were coming to an end. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:25

Thanks and yes, we do have some good beers, though I am mostly a fan of Paulaner and Guinness. But, by the way, where I live (near the border with Austria) they produce a beer that I also enjoy, which is called Forst and maybe is not so well known outside the area, but I love it (maybe there's a little bit of patriotism here). 

Guinness? Have you tried the Foreign Extra Stout or perhaps that is just a American thing marketed to the power drinkers here who think anything less than a 7.0'r is nothing more than flavored water. ehhh..

I'll keep an eye out for that... there is a great place near Ponte Milvio that I love has a killer selection of Italian beers from all over the country.  Perhaps they might have that.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:28
If you could make the survey still visible, without possibility to actually take part, I may comment on it; although whether what I say is worthwhile and interesting is up for anybody's guess... (and it may be somewhat critical).
Mattone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 12:03

Guinness? Have you tried the Foreign Extra Stout or perhaps that is just a American thing marketed to the power drinkers here who think anything less than a 7.0'r is nothing more than flavored water. ehhh..

I'll keep an eye out for that... there is a great place near Ponte Milvio that I love has a killer selection of Italian beers from all over the country.  Perhaps they might have that.

Never heard of that, unfortunately. But I am no expert, just kind of an occasional enthusiast Wink

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

If you could make the survey still visible, without possibility to actually take part, I may comment on it; although whether what I say is worthwhile and interesting is up for anybody's guess... (and it may be somewhat critical).

I have tried to do so, but the problem with that is that either I re-open the submission (which would alter the datas I am currently studying), or I have to make the results public, which is a big problem since there was an optional answer in which I asked to write down an email address if interested in getting the result of the research, once finished. Of course I can't leave those 100+ addresses there for all to see, so for now I have no choice but to copy-paste down here the original questions.

Section 1 - Introduction
How old are you?
How long have you been listening to prog on a regular basis, approximately?
If you had to list 3 to 5 active bands that you think are the most representative of the progressive scene, which ones would you choose?
If you had to list 3 to 5 distinctive features of progressive music, which ones would you mention?

Section 2 - How much do you agree with the following statements?
True progressive music has died around 1976-1977
Progressive music was mainly an English phenomenon
Progressive music is now mainly an English and American phenomenon
Progressive music has something to do with counter-culture
Progressive music is often reactionary
Progressive music has got something that puts it on a 'higher' cultural level
Neo-progressive music (i.e. Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Pendragon, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings...) is mainly derivative of symphonic progressive rock (no judgement of value intended here)
Neo-progressive music is the only true heir to the spirit of the original progressive movement
Besides neoprog and progressive metal, there are other forms of contemporary progressive music
Progressive music is not suitable for wide audiences
Only musicians can fully understand the value of prog
Progressive dance music has nothing to do with prog
Djent has nothing to do with prog
Post rock has nothing to do with prog
Fusion has nothing to do with prog

Section 3 - Features
Let's assume that the following list of features was often associated with the definition of progressive music. Which ones would you pick?
Technical complexity
Long songs
Unconventional song structures
Odd time signatures and polyrhythms
Concept album
Connections with classical andj azz music
Visionary lyrics
None of them

Section 4 - Take a listen to the following songs (I am sure some seconds here and there will be enough for you to judge) and answer to the questions about their supposed progressiveness

1. 'Cheval' by Igorr VS 'Gimme' by Banks
I know you probably hated both. But which one would you consider closer to being prog?

2. Demo song by Vampillia
Level of progressiveness from 1 to over9000

3. 'East Coast Racer' by Big Big Train
Level of progressiveness from 1 to over9000

If you would like to add whatever you could not specify before, now it is the time. Otherwise, skip this question.

If you are interested in reading the output of this study (which will actually focus on so much more stuff concerning prog) leave your email here and, once finished, I'll try to send it to you (only Italian version confirmed up to now).

YOU ARE DONE!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 06:54

Never heard of that, unfortunately. But I am no expert, just kind of an occasional enthusiast Wink

I think I did read somewhere it was something they might have brewed just for export here to the States. Marketed perhaps not to occasional enthusiast but good old fashioned American power drinkers who see anything that comes in a 4 pack as like many to a broad in a low cut red dress and black heels...woo hoo.. bring it on. Looks and taste are optional at that point LOL
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 12:20
Hi. Thank you for publishing the questions! Very interesting.

Just saw this and was disappointed that the survey was closed.

Also, I like Igorrr a lot and actually think it is prog LOL -

Edited by Lewa - July 27 2019 at 12:21
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 17:11
Thanks for posting the questions. I'll write something but you'll need some patience.

Edited by Lewian - July 27 2019 at 17:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12