0 [0.00%]
2 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Genres and Artists
    Posted: July 18 2019 at 08:59
This is a two part poll, so please make sure to follow instructions and avoid having spats about which genre or artist is the best of everything since it is all about your opinion.

1.  Choose your current favorite genre from the poll options.
2.  In your message, please list at least 2 bands that you have recently discovered that are from your favorite genre that help support your choice.  It doesn't matter if they are a new band or old band, as long as it is someone that you have recently discovered for yourself.  Hopefully this will help avoid having all of the Prog Metal lovers pick Dream Theater or all of the Eclectic Prog lovers from listing King Crimson (unless you truly have recently discovered them).
3. Optional:  If you want to explain why a certain genre or band is listed, go right ahead.  Let's just avoid getting into arguments if possible.  Remember, this is your opinion and everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I will go ahead and list RIO/Avant as being my current favorite genre and will mention the recently discovered artists for me in that genre are "French TV" and "Lost Crowns".

Edited by TCat - July 18 2019 at 09:01

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:07
1. Jazz Rock/Fusion

2. Casiopea, and Sun Ra (I'm new to his stuff and I love it!)

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:26
Symphonic. Always symphonic.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 09:59
Symphonic. Finally heard Anglagard. Fantastic.
Other favorite genres include Prog Folk, J/R Fusion, Proto-Prog, and Prog Related. Just acquired John Martyn's One World, a truly special album from a Prog Folk artist.

To me, Symphonic is the heart of Prog. Adventurous, but still rooted in melody. Fine musicianship required to succeed. Yes, Spock's Beard, Renaissance, ANT, Moon Safari, Kansas, Genesis, Flower Kings, The Enid, Cast, Anglagard (yes, I went down the list) are all regular listens of mine if not absolute favorites.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 11:32
Experimental/Post Metal: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and of course one of my mainstays King Crimson...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 11:52
Don't like to pick just one... but Heavy Prog. Haken and The Aristocrats

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 18 2019 at 11:53
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:46
RPI by a smidgen.   Symphonic, Crossover, and Jazz nipping at RPI's heels.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:18
RIO/Avant

Tough to say which artists I've recently discovered...I guess I'll go with Piniol, Chromb!, Ni, and The World Heritage 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:26
Symphonic just over Eclectic, Xover, Heavy and Zeuhl. 

Artists: Oaksenham, Wobbler.

I mention these bands because I was not familiar with their work and they had high rankings in my last two AotY lists (Oaksenham topped my 2018 list, Wobbler ranked #3 in my 2017 list).

Edited by someone_else - July 18 2019 at 14:32
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 14:32
Symphonic includes Yes, Genesis(70's anyway), Camel, early King Crimson and the Flower Kings so symphonic for me.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:00
This exact poll has been done before, but with new members joining our group it's worth repeating from time to time.
PROGMATIC
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:17
Symphonic, and Wobbler and Moon Safari would probably the new bands I like more, among the ones I've recently discovered. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:51
I kind of hate to say it but in my opinion(I can't stress that enough ;)) RPI is not a real subgenre. Again MY OPINION. The reason why I feel that way is because it opens up a can of worms for every country to have their own subgenre and to me that's ridiculous. Yes, I understand it was influential but it was not(and is not) the only country with a vibrant prog scene. Ok, end of rant. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

1. Jazz Rock/Fusion

2. Casiopea, and Sun Ra (I'm new to his stuff and I love it!)

Interesting that that band Casiopea is not on this website. Tons of other fusion stuff to explore though. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 18:36
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

This exact poll has been done before, but with new members joining our group it's worth repeating from time to time.

There is always that fear of repeating a past poll, but like you said, new members are always joining, plus everyone is always exploring bands that are new to them, and there are always new bands to explore, so this poll isn't really static either.  Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of what people were listening to and discovering on their own, plus it also gives me ideas of other bands to explore for myself.  So, yeah, it's a little bit selfish too. 

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:36
I really can't pick a favorite genre. I pretty much spend equal time with Symphonic Prog, Heavy Prog, Progressive Metal, and Jazz/Rock Fusion.

That favoritism is based on mostly longstanding favorite artists.  Because I keep up with those genres fairly well, I don't have any recent discoveries there.  

My favorite recent discovery comes under the Prog Folk heading; the s/t album from Agusa.  (Agusa is listed on this site as Psychedelic/Space prog, but the 2019 self titled release is much more Prog Folk).

My other recent fave discovery is Experimental/Post Metal, Soen

Another recent new love is Crossover Prog, Phideaux

For my favorite genres:
Under the Heavy Prog, my most recent discovery (about a year ago) is Haken.
Under the Symphonic Prog heading, although I've long been a Spock's Beard fan, it was much more recent that I found The Neal Morse Band. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 19:50
Symphonic

Genesis
Yes
Camel
Anglagard
Wobbler
Jordsjo
Renaissance
Neal Morse

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 18 2019 at 19:51
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 20:32
hmmm...

Krautock, Heavy, RPI, RIO-Avant, Psyche/S.R
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 21:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Symphonic. Always symphonic.

Same.

although I do like jazz fusion too.Smile

Edited by twosteves - July 18 2019 at 21:21
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:49
I'm a big fan of a lot of Crossover bands, so we'll go with that. The bands I've started listening to most recently are ELO and Big Big Train.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>