0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:58
Symphonic & Crossover I guess.

There's something good in all proggy subgenres.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 05:26
Definitely Symphonic.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 07:55
For me it rotates between Prog Electronic, Psych/Space and RPI. I'm on a PE mood lately so it gets my vote, although I only discovered anything new from the artist evaluations. From these I particularly liked Michel Moulinie and Jean-Michel Desbouis, Zadri & Mo and Ose.

Edited by Meltdowner - July 19 2019 at 07:55
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 08:49
Canterbury, Eccletic, RIO/Avant and Zeuhl

Hard to narrow it down further than these 4.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I'm a big fan of a lot of Crossover bands, so we'll go with that. The bands I've started listening to most recently are ELO and Big Big Train.

In my opinion many if not most crossover bands are really art rock bands and that is not(again imo)true prog. 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 12:01
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I'm a big fan of a lot of Crossover bands, so we'll go with that. The bands I've started listening to most recently are ELO and Big Big Train.

In my opinion many if not most crossover bands are really art rock bands and that is not(again imo)true prog. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by tempest_77 - July 19 2019 at 12:01
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 21:05
prog folk of course.
Hexvessel and Sangre de Muerdago are both relatively recent discoveries
winterwizard1987 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote winterwizard1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 22:33
Neo-prog and Crossover for me. Symphonic is certainly up there, but I find myself returning to those two subgenres the most frequently. Lately I've been enjoying Gazpacho and Mystery quite a bit.

Edited by winterwizard1987 - July 19 2019 at 22:37
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 06:04
Most definitely Krautrock. But I can't really say that I recently discovered anything; I have an excellent knowledge of that genre.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 08:03
I cast the first vote for Psychedelic/Space Rock, although I could equally have jumped on the Symphonic bandwagon. Why? Most of my reviews posted on PA fall into that genre.

A recent discovery of mine was OHEAD (a Dave Hendry project). If you like Ozric Tentacles, Tangerine Dream, or even Shpongle, check 'em out here:  https://www.ohead.co.uk/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Don't like to pick just one... but Heavy Prog. Haken and The Aristocrats

In my opinion Haken should be under prog metal and Riverside should be under heavy prog. The Aristocrats are jazz rock fusion on here or maybe should be.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 10:09
Agree.
Ani I love Haken and Riverside. Need to spend more time with Aristocrats.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:00
Symphonic, Neo prog beeing a close second.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 16:57
Voted RIO, bands Aranis and A.P.A.T.T., although I don't constrain myself much by genre and several genres are represented in the recently discovered bands (and/or bands that fit nowhere and anywhere have been classified somewhat randomly).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:16
I'm always curious if there is someone out there who is big into both neo prog and RIO(the two most diametrically opposed prog subgenres). :D My guess would be that most neo fans have very little if any RIO and most RIO fans have very little if any neo. That's just how it seems like it would be but I could be wrong.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 21 2019 at 17:17
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

In my opinion Haken should be under prog metal and Riverside should be under heavy prog. The Aristocrats are jazz rock fusion on here or maybe should be.

I agree. The Aristocrats are classified as heavy prog on this site. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 08:41
Hi,

I can't vote on this ... 

1. I don't listen to "genres". 

2. There are times when something from the 16th century attracts me, and I might go after some of the better known composers, or I can put on something like the Third Ear Band, or some Gryphon, to get some notions, and ideas or thoughts about some of the feelings in that music, and how it comes out.

3. Symphonic is not a "genre". The history of "music", is almost EXCLUSIVELY about it all being "symphonic" going far back and then some. My main concern is that we are calling something "symphonic" simply because it has keyboards, and while it is a "string section" to be sure, there are times when a lot of music is "symphonic" but it is not considered that ... best example is CARAVAN AND THE NEW SINFONIA, and how well their music fits a classic symphony of folks, and how well versed and intelligent musicians ) more than likely musically well educated!!!!), in order to create what they did ... and it goes back to their second album (did I get it right? For Richard) ... and the like.

"Symphonic" has evolved, since in the 16th century, orchestras did not have 100 folks ... and now they have more than that more often than not. Thus, 19th century composers were, by far the most "symphonic" in composing things for a complete orchestra, that kind of ended, or at least changed, when Stravinsky came around, even though he also used a full orchestra.

4. Jazz is not properly considered or determined, and in fact, in this poll some variations on the "jazz" theme are the only options ... a more straight away "jazz" option would make better sense to me.

5. The 1950's and 1960's black jazz pioneers were quite "symphonic" even though their main appeal was within a jazz context. I think that this, along with its melodic content, was what brought many more folks to the music.

6. There were very tough musical elements that were trying to break out of the "symphonic/orchestral" concepts in music ... and some of them are mentioned above. In almost all cases, you will find that the folks playing it, are highly educated musically and they know what they are doing. In that respect they are very "classical", although we might consider the music ... something else.

It is, however, a very interesting poll ... but I'm not sure that a good/proper conclusion can be made out of it, that would help us learn more about each and everyone of those "genres'. Yes, I know they are there to represent a style at the time and place (baroque, romantic, modern, etc) but sadly, some of the descriptions for the listings are almost secondary to another group, at least in the way I see it.

I look at all music when I see something like this ... not just a few things I listen to because I'm tired of Pink Floyd and Albinoni, all of a sudden sounds so much better as done by Thijs Van Leer. 

And things like that have a way to rip apart these polls for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:37
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Experimental/Post Metal: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and of course one of my mainstays King Crimson...

King Crimson are listed here as eclectic prog not Exp/post metal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I can't vote on this ... 

1. I don't listen to "genres". 

2. There are times when something from the 16th century attracts me, and I might go after some of the better known composers, or I can put on something like the Third Ear Band, or some Gryphon, to get some notions, and ideas or thoughts about some of the feelings in that music, and how it comes out.

3. Symphonic is not a "genre". The history of "music", is almost EXCLUSIVELY about it all being "symphonic" going far back and then some. My main concern is that we are calling something "symphonic" simply because it has keyboards, and while it is a "string section" to be sure, there are times when a lot of music is "symphonic" but it is not considered that ... best example is CARAVAN AND THE NEW SINFONIA, and how well their music fits a classic symphony of folks, and how well versed and intelligent musicians ) more than likely musically well educated!!!!), in order to create what they did ... and it goes back to their second album (did I get it right? For Richard) ... and the like.

"Symphonic" has evolved, since in the 16th century, orchestras did not have 100 folks ... and now they have more than that more often than not. Thus, 19th century composers were, by far the most "symphonic" in composing things for a complete orchestra, that kind of ended, or at least changed, when Stravinsky came around, even though he also used a full orchestra.

4. Jazz is not properly considered or determined, and in fact, in this poll some variations on the "jazz" theme are the only options ... a more straight away "jazz" option would make better sense to me.

5. The 1950's and 1960's black jazz pioneers were quite "symphonic" even though their main appeal was within a jazz context. I think that this, along with its melodic content, was what brought many more folks to the music.

6. There were very tough musical elements that were trying to break out of the "symphonic/orchestral" concepts in music ... and some of them are mentioned above. In almost all cases, you will find that the folks playing it, are highly educated musically and they know what they are doing. In that respect they are very "classical", although we might consider the music ... something else.

It is, however, a very interesting poll ... but I'm not sure that a good/proper conclusion can be made out of it, that would help us learn more about each and everyone of those "genres'. Yes, I know they are there to represent a style at the time and place (baroque, romantic, modern, etc) but sadly, some of the descriptions for the listings are almost secondary to another group, at least in the way I see it.

I look at all music when I see something like this ... not just a few things I listen to because I'm tired of Pink Floyd and Albinoni, all of a sudden sounds so much better as done by Thijs Van Leer. 

And things like that have a way to rip apart these polls for me!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 14:48
Mosh, my man, you're unique and totally irreplaceable - long may you live !

(go easy with the smokes, though)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>