Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Ridiculous Hype Written About A Musician?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Ridiculous Hype Written About A Musician?
    Posted: July 20 2019 at 18:30
Just for early clarification, I do consider a singer to be a musician.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 19:47
I thought the expectations placed on Julian Lennon were ridiculous. “Valotte” was a great song, but he turned out to “only” be a good musician. But I’m not sure this is what you mean.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 20:13
Maybe give an example.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 20:22
Klaatu is actually the Beatles in disguise.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 21:08
"Clapton is God". I mean, come on. Demi-god, tops.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 06:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"Clapton is God". I mean, come on. Demi-god, tops.

I think Eric did that himself :)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 10:53
^ word.....

*Micky bows down and genflects*

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:26
anyhow back to this Mort I 2nd the question.. seems like you had someone in mind when you dreamed up  this topic.

hype?  One more suited to groups rather than individuals whose limitations or shortcomings are often plainly evident. And we touched on Clapton who perhaps over the many years and coke addled years became of shell of what he was and is forgotten by many.

the closest I could think of one would be Neil Peart.  A fine drummer no doubt but.. there is a reason he came from England with his tail between his legs and took a job with a band with no name or whatever..  much like Geddy.  His legend is much to do about the legion of fanatical fans and their hype but really.. he was merely a good drummer in a genre filled them .... and more than a few who were fantastically good and could and did play circles around Peart.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 12:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

anyhow back to this Mort I 2nd the question.. seems like you had someone in mind when you dreamed up  this topic.

hype?  One more suited to groups rather than individuals whose limitations or shortcomings are often plainly evident. And we touched on Clapton who perhaps over the many years and coke addled years became of shell of what he was and is forgotten by many.

the closest I could think of one would be Neil Peart.  A fine drummer no doubt but.. there is a reason he came from England with his tail between his legs and took a job with a band with no name or whatever..  much like Geddy.  His legend is much to do about the legion of fanatical fans and their hype but really.. he was merely a good drummer in a genre filled them .... and more than a few who were fantastically good and could and did play circles around Peart.

Not at all.. I used this for a movie forum, and thought why not music... I used to like Neil Peart, but he's kinda robotic. I guess I like the jazzier guys more. Neil is stiff.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 12:09
Beer 

and yeah..  I sort of have always seen him as a one trick pony... very good at what he is good at.. but very limited overall and that works for rock drummers.. it is a not a good characteristic for a prog drummer.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 05:12
I remember a lot of hype around this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Forbert - being the new Dylan, which he wasn't and he pretty much disappeared.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:19
"Paul is dead"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:44
^ There you go, or worse those stories about how the Beatles' songs were secretly written by a pair of Scottish remote viewers or whatever.

I remember Oasis being highly oversold in their time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 08:57
Only classic rock bands are great.

I highly doubt this senseless statement because are many great modern rock and metal bands
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

"Paul is dead"

interesting...  hype? or what is generally considered greatest (even topping all the Kennedy sh*t) conspiracy theory of all time.  Really interesting to read of how that came about.. some radio station in the midwest (how good the drugs must have been then) ....and it just took off from there. Even when he showed himself. did interviews and pictures to show he was still alive there were those that claimed he was indeed a fake because.. I kid you not..  there were scientists doing cranial measures of pictures of pre death Paul and post death and said they differed. LOL

Wild sh*t man.. but hype?   Nah....

Edited by micky - July 25 2019 at 09:03
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 11:47
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 11:49
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Mark.. you just won the thread brother...
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 12:03
^Just stirring the pot... shaking the bees nest. Bracing for an onslaught of hatred. Pinch
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 12:06
ohhh. missed it by a day or so hahah. I'm now in a new chill period of my life.. so no onslaught of hate, anger and vitriol from me I'm sorry to say.  I've reached my peace with SWILSON fan... Genesis bobblehead.. and perhaps the hardest to forgive.. f'ing f**kING Camel fan.

today.. a new page is turned.. whatever man.. it's your brain.. rot it out if you want to .
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 12:18
Not sure if counted as hype, yet until the mp3 and especially internet age, Metallica for metal and Pink Floyd for prog were acknowledged as mandatory for the genres' listeners, and bashing them was almost like blasphemy -while you could hype as extravagantly as you like without any drawbacks, with full support actually- in Turkey. When the internet and forum age began, it shattered with intense debates and gradually proven obsolete. Also thanks to Prog Archives and all, I (we) understood that Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc. are at least as important.

One of the good results internet brought was those debates and their fruitful outcomes.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - July 25 2019 at 12:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>