Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Making prog with the music notation software...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making prog with the music notation software...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making prog with the music notation software...
    Posted: July 21 2019 at 05:05
Doesn't it sound like middle Crimson somewhere in the middle? Also, isn't the triller perfect? Embarrassed

Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 11:00
The sequel is longer and probably no less intriguing...
MagicScore Maestro 8, I thank you from the bottom of my mind! To make a composer out of a man that do not play anything but people's nerves is simply priceless!

Edited by Woon Deadn - July 21 2019 at 11:01
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 07:49
Interesting, not that bad at all. 
Archie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 09:50
Ben Levin's recently been doing a great series wherein he writes music in Musescore that'd be impractical if not impossible for humans to play. Skip ahead to part 4 if you want to hear what he has after a few iterations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7HGailRMSk
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 06:12
I tend not to use notation editors: if I do use MIDI, then I'll play a phrase in, edit, quantise and then take the original MIDI, done on a close sounding VST instrument, then send the MIDI out to the modular synth and then record it that way.

I can read tadpoles but don't tend to think in terms of notation any more. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 15:34
The journey lingers on. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 07:47
Hi,

Not sure I am on the right path in commenting here, but ... you do realize that almost all of the far out and loved "progressive" and "prog" music was done ... without a DAW?

It means, to me, that it was about a feel and touch ... not just thinking about a few notes ... of course, you can twist them later, and everyone has done that ... but I'm not sure that the "original" should even be considered on a DAW, although I am pretty sure that there are composers that are very versatile on their DAW skills and can do this.

Weird consideration ... for me! It's like me as a writer, trying to do this by mouth and microphone ... and not realizing that the completeness is missing, because the stream of consciousness is not capable of sustaining a complete story/concept ... it simply flows without a care in the world, and while I love to do that, a very surrealistic thing to do, it all makes for stuff that too many people (specially here) would consider jibberish!

No surprise there for me, though, Dave thinks only jibberish comes out of me ... and I, at least, appreciate some of his music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 06:16
Good Lord, I actually agree with Mosh here. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 06:18
Incidentally, Mosh and I would probably not disagree on anything if we were in a bar together, having a drink. Although I don't drink. I think we'd have a really good night. ;-)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 13:37
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Incidentally, Mosh and I would probably not disagree on anything if we were in a bar together, having a drink. Although I don't drink. I think we'd have a really good night. ;-)

I don't drink ... just water ... and maybe a touch of Diet Coke on my glass full of ice.

I've never been a drinker ... surprisingly enough ... and although the bar thing is sometimes appealing, it would be the "French" stories of the literary and artistic folks getting together that would be a dream for me ... I could, easily, create exercises for Peter Brook, for example ... (experimental director for theater, and sometimes film director) ... catch THE TIGHTROPE ... and notice that it also has a musician in it!

There is a side of "experimentation" that has some freedom and individuality ... and while I won't criticize a DAW, its folks in various places (Sonar, Ableton and others) that really show how they do not specifically understand the "inside" of music as you and I might suggest.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 13:58
How can I dare argue with senior members, anyhow? 

Sure, progressive rock is all about artistic freedom, irony, humor, playing the fool, expressing something very distant from what you've been taught at music schools. 

There's one BUT, though: if you can play music, if you know the theory and implement it in practice. I don't play anything, any musical instrument. So, in my case, what I am doing is just conveying my almost stream of almost consciousness onto the paper on screen. I've even broken my mouse, since I put all those notes chaotically in a fast (writing) tempo. The fact that the melodies sometimes sound great only means that there's nothing spontaneous, nothing truly chaotic in our life...

My stream of consciousness (plus some feeling of what it might be) create things like this one below: 

Yet, of course, if you are a talented skillful player, a composer - then writing prog note-by-note would probably produce a very unfree music. In case of me, such programs give me freedom to express myself. For example, at the end of this tune you can also hear my own voice (well, not my everyday voice, for sure - I am a 36 y.o. male, after all). Unmodified by sound editors voice. But it's all parts of my artistic will, artistic freedom and I thank (this time) MuseScore 3 for such a privilege to be a composer not knowing theory nor practice. 

P.S. Yadu Zloby means "To The Poison Of Anger" in Russian.

Edited by Woon Deadn - September 24 2019 at 14:06
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 08:55
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

How can I dare argue with senior members, anyhow? 

Sure, progressive rock is all about artistic freedom, irony, humor, playing the fool, expressing something very distant from what you've been taught at music schools. 

I sincerely doubt that many folks were actually "taught" in school, since at the age of 18/19 and 20, not many of us would have had enough music orientation to even be considered or mentioned in that vein when it came to a sentence that would make sense in that discussion.

In many ways, and in the case of a lot of the German music in the late 60's and early 70's, it was not so much about the school, as it was about the freedoms that the schools allowed and perhaps even EXPECTED, when you consider that at least one school actually paid a band to go to various countries to study and learn to play some of its music and even combine it to what they had!

Thus, a lot of this early music, was less about the music schools, although there was a huge one that had many famous composers in it (The Berlin School) and it also ended up bringing up some of the biggest names in electronics and a lot of music ... which is anti-idea ... completely different from the majority of other electronic/keyboard players around, most of which tend to show off their classical music skills and not their ability and composing skills! There is a huge difference there, and I tend to not enjoy the "classic" side of RW, as opposed to the new styled "classic" experience that Edgar Froese and Klaus Schulze came up with ... that most of us can not even wrap our heads around it for 5 minutes, because it is so deep and so far developed that all we can do is listen and feel ... alienated ... because it is so different!

Imagine a huge music school, that even had Ravi Shankar teaching there ... teaching you something that would go completely against "music theory", which in some ways makes sense, since music history has been almost about the breaking of the theory and coming up with a new one ... which does not exactly get defined for 50 more years, of course ... 

The DAW is as good a music composing artifice as any instrument ... with one possible interesting note ... it's been hundreds of years, and what brought us to the music was the sound that it could be created by the human hands, or mouth ... and all of a sudden, it is done by neither of them (directly) and the feel is likely to come up a bit lacking on the soul side of things compared to someone playing an instrument, even incorrectly ... at least you can feel a person trying.

I think the DAW is too new right now, but you and I can not deny some of these DJ's that are creating new music and coming up with nice things, even though, its truth can only be ascertained when it is played on stage by a real band, or an orchestra, and I think that we are still about 75 years from that ... we don't consider DJ's, musicians at all and some of them are way better than many well known "progressive" bullsheepdip guy out there ... and have a better sense of composition and music design, than many bands out there that are just showing off little riffs here and there to make sure you see how good and clever they are!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 07:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

I sincerely doubt that many folks were actually "taught" in school, since at the age of 18/19 and 20, not many of us would have had enough music orientation to even be considered or mentioned in that vein when it came to a sentence that would make sense in that discussion.

I definitely never learnt music theory nor practice anywhere. Kind of evident in this piece of mine below LOL : 

I've listened to too much dungeon synth and this was my pervert rendition of that subgenre awhole. Perverted piano dungeon synth. Smile Alas, none of the piano parts were made in the DAW, it was just some smartphone synth keyboard program. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 15:30
Me and my colleague MuseScore 3 did a decent job on this take of dungeon synth meets ambient: 

Wink
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:09
The whole fourth album by my one-man music project The NO has been posted on YouTube, by me: 

The NO. Dark Soup [ hint intended, pun intended Wink LOL Clap Shocked ]

1. Weird Streets Full Of Weird Doors. 9:21
2. Dare Scream. 0:45
3. Overture Of Fractured Throne. 4:57
4. Para Void. 3:25
5. Machine Speaking (With Its Tongue Dipped In Filth). 0:53
6. Symphony Of Broken Throne. 7:51
7. Cantata Radiata. 1:36
8. The Gradual Decomposition Of What Was Once Heaven. 7:26
9. Yadu Zloby. 4:53
10. Empty Fortress Empty Entrance Empty Room. 14:57
11. Laes Long Voyage To The Unspeakable And Back. 3:48
12. Nocturne, Wise. 5:03
13. Wrong Street - Wrong Home - Wrong Door - The Twisted Every A Thing. 7:21
14. The Fear Had Long Gone - Had It Though_. 4:20

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 07:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Not sure I am on the right path in commenting here, but ... you do realize that almost all of the far out and loved "progressive" and "prog" music was done ... without a DAW?

Most of that far out and loved music was done in large, expensive recording studios of major record companies. They did multi-track recordings, multiple takes, punch-ins, edits, mixing, envelopes, effects, etc., but it was all done with an AAW (analog audio workstation) -- i.e. the recording studio. Now the same capability is available for a couple hundred bucks to do it digitally on a lap top.  Watch the videos of Wobbler recording, producing, editing, and mixing their Rites of Dawn album with a lap-top. I've not heard anyone complain that the result was inferior to analog. In fact, I'll bet most people didn't even know.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 15:45
This time played on a smartphone (except tracks 1 and 2). Playing the fool, experimentation and very-lo-fi weirdness continue.

1. ditto. 0:00:10

2. Three Pace Prologue. 0:01:25

3. The Ruthless Bazaar. 0:06:45

3.1. Pay A Visit. 0:06:45

3.2. The Birth Of The Moth. 0:19:00

3.3. You May Never Leave. 0:26:00

3.4. Ill. 0:26:54

3.5. The Nth Chapiteau Of The Sea Tsar. 0:28:26

3.6. When I Told You Baby That I Love You Madly. 0:30:15

4. A Fairy-Tale Is Just Being Told. 0:33:18

5. Your Climax Ticks. 0:38:35

6. The Grand Scare (As Found In The Archives). 0:39:42

7. The Town Of Unspeakable Awe. 0:46:30

8. The Death Of The Moth. 1:01:08

9. Prepare To Worry - The Bonus Track. 1:17:42

Edited by Woon Deadn - February 18 2020 at 17:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 11:41

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 11:50
MuseScore, my friend!.. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:33
Just think, all the time you spent doing that could have been spent in actually learning music. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>