Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some releases of 1967

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which of thes 1967 albums do you like?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [8.60%]
8 [8.60%]
5 [5.38%]
1 [1.08%]
1 [1.08%]
4 [4.30%]
3 [3.23%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
6 [6.45%]
4 [4.30%]
5 [5.38%]
7 [7.53%]
2 [2.15%]
14 [15.05%]
3 [3.23%]
1 [1.08%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.30%]
2 [2.15%]
1 [1.08%]
2 [2.15%]
3 [3.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some releases of 1967
    Posted: July 21 2019 at 07:32
1967 was of course the year The Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", one of the most important albums ever. but a lot of other great and important albums were published that year. which ones do you like?

I like them all, by the way. 1967 was a great year. there is a lot of other rock music besides prog that I like.

that Rolling Stones album is the only one I like of them, by the way, though there is the occasional song by them that I like too ("Angie" for example)

Edited by BaldJean - July 21 2019 at 08:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 08:08
Beefheart.

Amazing year for music in general! Clap

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 08:17
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Beefheart.

Amazing year for music in general! Clap

as I said: multiple votes are possible

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 08:37
Tough choice. The Doors, Incredible String Band, Pink Floyd and Hendrix are all top dogs but Zappa wins by a slight margin because THAT was totally out of the box. Definately a great year for music.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 10:58
great albums.. but Baxters by a lightyear...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 14:35
VU
Floyd
Stones (also for me their only album I really like)
Traffic
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:26
January 1967
The Doors - The Doors
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:34
What a year '67 was. It's funny in that with all of these classic timeless albums being released, the biggest selling album of 1967 (in the US at least) wound up being More of the Monkees.

I'll pick two San Fran albums. As much as Baxters is awesome, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it, whereas I can put on Pillow anytime: driving, cookouts, chillin' out, whenever. I'll give it some love. Also that Greatful Dead debut is by far my favorite album of theirs. Lots of upbeat fun numbers, although these days playing "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" could probably clear a room.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 15:56
Hi,

Now you can see why I think that the late 60's and early 70's were so important artistically, specially in America, a place that actually had at least 3 VERY DIFFERENT scenes in it .. NY, LA, SF ... that are so well remembered and loved, even 50 years later!

If that is not the ultimate compliment to an artistic scene, and we have not even started on anyone like writers, film makers, painters and other arts ... to give you an idea of how huge that time and place was.

It's impossible for me, to choose one ... too many of them mean a lot more than just an album of music, or some rock band from Chinkapoo, Venus! I can not say that the NY scene is better than LA, or SF, though I have my heart in SF as the music lived until it died (a lot of it of Aids much later!), or in NY, that is not always discussed favorably, but so many folks come back to the Velvet Underground, and specially the undiscussed artistic scene in NY, of which Andy Warhol is the GOD, but there were many others that were far better and should be given some credit. Andy was simply the first one to make it big financially, and it brought the attention to the NY artists. They had been there the whole time, is the only issue!

SF's scene is the one that is not always looked at properly, and it took an outsider to help make it look like the scene in SF had totally died in Altamont! But on a rainy day somewhere in San Jose, you could hear Hot Tuna and Boz Scaggs and others in one night ... and learn that the SF scene was not just 3 or 4 bands ... and quickly!

This whole listing, is what my generation is all about ... and I will always cherish and love those arts ... and speak golden words of them!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

SF's scene is the one that is not always looked at properly, and it took an outsider to help make it look like the scene in SF had totally died in Altamont! But on a rainy day somewhere in San Jose, you could hear Hot Tuna and Boz Scaggs and others in one night ... and learn that the SF scene was not just 3 or 4 bands ... and quickly!

This whole listing, is what my generation is all about ... and I will always cherish and love those arts ... and speak golden words of them!

SF was also important for stand-up comedy, especially the "hungry i"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 18:16
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

What a year '67 was. It's funny in that with all of these classic timeless albums being released, the biggest selling album of 1967 (in the US at least) wound up being More of the Monkees.

I'll pick two San Fran albums. As much as Baxters is awesome, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it, whereas I can put on Pillow anytime: driving, cookouts, chillin' out, whenever. I'll give it some love. Also that Greatful Dead debut is by far my favorite album of theirs. Lots of upbeat fun numbers, although these days playing "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" could probably clear a room.

Clap and here have one of these..  a great craft beer from Philly.. Beer

Next to G.G's Knots..  I probably get the most looks from blasting that from the death machines sound system at stop lights.  Love that song..  probably my favorite of the many versions done of that song.

Yeah of course I love the Pillow... but the artistic and experimental slant to Baxters gives it the edge to me. Not mention the serious amount of ass being kicked on that album by Jorma and Jack.  And though not quite as experimental as the next was, due to the obvious Zappa input, I thought it a better and stronger overall album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 18:19
two glaring omissions though..  one I"m a bit surprised about. Figured you might have put in there Jean and it perhaps might have stolen the Baxter's vote. Really the only album of that time that might have taken the vote.

Buffalo Springfield Again

and the other omission.. perhaps the single best album to come out of west coast '67 IMO. The debut album by Moby Grape.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 18:50
Strange Days, Days of Future Passed, and Are You Experienced (which is like a greatest hits album).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 05:10
I've gone for Velvet Underground and the Moody Blues, although there are a lot of great albums here.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 05:24
Matthew & Son by Cat Stevens is also quite good.

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2019 at 08:57
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 08:29
the Who Sell Out is a really good and strong album. Plenty of fun, rock, rebellion and spirit.

Plenty of strong albus listed in this poll, i need to listen to those i havent heard on before voting.

i hope Procol Harum gets some love cause its importance is is easy to forgett.

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2019 at 08:58
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 09:48
Guess The Doors is my fave.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 15:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yeah of course I love the Pillow... but the artistic and experimental slant to Baxters gives it the edge to me. Not mention the serious amount of ass being kicked on that album by Jorma and Jack.  And though not quite as experimental as the next was, due to the obvious Zappa input, I thought it a better and stronger overall album.
I admit that Baxters is the cooler album with more wild acid rock stuff going on. Honestly though, I've only really delved into Airplanes non-Pillow albums once I had the internet.Embarrassed
Pillow has all kinds of nostalgia value for me, especially outdoor parties for some reason. Hell, even last summer, at the one party my friends and I got absolutely ripping drunk, late at night outside we were all singing along as loud as possible..."You know I love you baby, YES I DO!!" It took me around three to four days to fully recover. I don't party much like I used to...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 16:29
hahahah.. that is awesome man.  The Airplane is good for that.  Funny the last similar experience I had with was a damn RIO group from Kentucky..  dude..  I have legendary stamina for that kind of stuff.. but I went down hard for the count and stayed on the canvas for some days  The hell with metal groups..  you have to watch parties with or to RIO-Avant..  it can hurt. 
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 18:28
Super amazing year, possibly the best ever, especially when taking into account that some of the biggest entries are really some of the most overrated ever (esp. VU&N)

Love the entries from Jimi, Airplane, Who, Doors, Cream, Floyd, Mothers, Big Bro, Traffic (down year for the Stones and I'll take Between the Buttons before Satanic Majesty's), but even with all that greatness, I still find it an easy vote for Days of Future Passed.

Other worthy rock selections not included:
The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
Love - Forever Changes

Other notable greats from the world of Jazz:
Pat Martino - El Hombre, Strings
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy
Gary Burton - Duster (considered by some to be the first fusion album) 
Steve Kuhn - The October Suite
Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator
Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser
Miles Davis - Sorcerer, Miles Smiles
Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple, Schizophrenia
Don Ellis Orchestra - Electric Bath

And from the world of Blues:
Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign
Buddy Guy - I Left My Blues in San Francisco
John Mayall and the Blue Breakers - A Hard Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>