Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Do you think music today is better than when you grew up?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [14.00%]
43 [86.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 08:29
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The music industry in not what it was when I was growing up. The days or the rich rock star, started by Elvis, is now gone, and the artists of today simply do it for the love of music, so it's very hard to compare. Before, they could make a living off it, so they would put all their time and energy into it. Now, most artists, specially music which doesn't fit the popular trend, have to have a 9 to 5 job and write and perform their music on their spare time. With sites like Spotify, where you can just pay a small yearly fee and listen to everything you want, hardly anybody buys music anymore, and the artist gets paid next to nothing for their music. Of course there's still some people who buy the music, but is a very small percentage of those who listen to it, making music sales very insignificant to what they used to be. That doesn't mean the artists of today are not as talented as the ones of previous decades, but the circumstances are so different, that indeed affect the quality and nature of their music.   

And the fact that some of today's artists do it part time, and create music that rivals say Close to the Edge, is amazing.  
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 08:36
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The music industry in not what it was when I was growing up. The days or the rich rock star, started by Elvis, is now gone, and the artists of today simply do it for the love of music, so it's very hard to compare. Before, they could make a living off it, so they would put all their time and energy into it. Now, most artists, specially music which doesn't fit the popular trend, have to have a 9 to 5 job and write and perform their music on their spare time. With sites like Spotify, where you can just pay a small yearly fee and listen to everything you want, hardly anybody buys music anymore, and the artist gets paid next to nothing for their music. Of course there's still some people who buy the music, but is a very small percentage of those who listen to it, making music sales very insignificant to what they used to be. That doesn't mean the artists of today are not as talented as the ones of previous decades, but the circumstances are so different, that indeed affect the quality and nature of their music.   

True, but sadly there were also artists around in the 60s and 70s who didn't make a living from their music due to unscrupulous agents and managers (Badfinger being one example).
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 09:04
There are some great comments and arguments here.  I still believe that there are great artists today and yesterday, so I find music I like in all eras.  Now, I am referring more to progressive of course, because pop music and radio music has always been mostly bad, but  I feel that music on the radio was much better and included more styles during the 60s and 70s.  I grew up not knowing what progressive music was, but I still had exposure to it on the radio, and that is what got me interested in the complexities of it all.  I look back now and find that almost all of the music I purchased on vinyl, 8-track and cassette was progressive and I didn't even know it.  I loved and owned most of the albums from Pink Floyd, Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, UK, Steely Dan, Genesis, Yes, and so on, and it wasn't until 1980 when I was asked what groups I liked and named these off, the person responded by saying "Oh so you like progressive rock."  Pretending I knew what she was talking about I said, "Ehrmmm.... Sure!"  So what I am saying is, at least where I grew up, that I got my knowledge of progressive rock from the radio, however, I didn't realize it then.  I don't think this would happen nowadays, at least on commercial radio.  Now all that music sounds the same.  And let's not even start about how God-awful country music has become lately.  It was bad before, but now it is just automated drivel where all of the crap sounds the same and people gobble it up like candy.

Edited by TCat - July 22 2019 at 09:06

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 09:27
I'm still curious of good music, from today or from the past. so both.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 10:22
Music overall: better in the past

Prog music: about the same level of quality, past and present (maybe the 1980s being an exception)
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I always hear... the music today is so bad. It was so much better when I was growing up.

I think music today is much better than when I grew up. More choices and more talent. What do you think?

I find music today to be pretty good.  Of course, you have to look for the good stuff, but it is there.   

But there are periods I think were relative down periods for music in general or prog in particular.

I'd be interesting to know when you "grew up" (meaning when you first began taking a serious interest in, and absorbing music).  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:31
I voted music from the past. One reason is that to some degree at least most of the good ideas and melodies have already been done. Along those lines does anyone really think there will be a band in the next few years(or even from the past few years)as good as the Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd just to name a few? I don't. Even if we limit ourselves to prog I don't think there are many(if any)current bands even approaching the greatness of Yes, Genesis, PF, ELP, Camel, KC, JT, etc. Sure, there's some good music out there but I think the best(even in prog)is way in the past. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2019 at 13:34
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:11
It's all been downhill since Beethoven's 3rd Symphony.

Seriously, I think it's often difficult to contemplate this question and separate those contemplations from some fairly deep matters of psychology. Something happens to us when we're in our early teens through our early twenties and we encounter certain music. That music could be the latest stuff, or it could be something older, but developmentally that music, heard then, does something to us, imprints upon us, and makes us--to some extent--who we are. As we get older, it's harder for newer music to make as the same kind of impact. Post-adolescence, it's probably harder for new music to shape us and hit us in the same way. Obviously, some of us are more music obsessed than others. I keep reaching out for new music, and I keep finding amazing new stuff I love. But a good majority of my peers probably stopped really listening to anything new after their twenties.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think that when a good many people say, "music today's not as good as it was when I was a kid," they may not really be talking about the music. 

I have certainly had my moments when I've been nostalgic about how great 1980s post-punk albums were, and think how pale the latest indie band sounds in comparison, but then I think of my brother (who was 15 years older than me) and how he thought all of that stuff in the 1980s sounded like sh*te and only paled to what he listened to when he was younger.

It's probably also much harder to be startled by something new the longer you've listened to music and the more music you've listened to. When I first heard the White Stripes, my first thought was, "Didn't the Flat Duo Jets already do this?" Jack White is a phenomenal musician, who I respect immensely, but I don't think I was ever going to be able to hear him the way my students did when he first came on the scene because that was all new to them.

That said, I like old stuff, I like new stuff. The pop charts blow today (dear god do they blow), but take a look at the pop charts from the 1960s (and you'll find a whole lotta dross).

The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:19
Despite being born in the 80s, 99% of what I listen to and love was made BEFORE I was born.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:46
Well, I might be one of the very few people on here born in the early 70's(70 to be exact)so for me growing up in the eighties I was mostly into seventies stuff even then. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:03
If we're talking about my past (I'll be 65 in December) then there is no way that music today is better.  NO WAY. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:33
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

It's all been downhill since Beethoven's 3rd Symphony.

HA! Maybe since the tribal beats.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:32
When I started to get interested in music, and even more when I found prog, I paid very little attention to the "modern" music of the time. Well, first I used to put MTV a good deal of time (in the 90's), and so I got to know many very nice (pop) songs of the time, but from 00's up to a few years ago, I really dismissed the music that was being released at the time (I had to make up for the older music that I was discovering). However, I wouldn't even say that I think the music when I was growing up was best (90's), but rather the music from the 70's. Now that I have been paying more attention to modern music, and a bit of what I missed a little earlier on, I still think the same... well, of course 90's music would be better than today's too. However, I do have found some nice stuff around, specially on prog (of course), but still, even knowing these great bands and music being done today, I can't help but return to the classics, and not easily will I want to hear something modern instead (except for a few albums). Even for prog metal, I would rather listen to what was done in the 90's / 00's to what is being released today. And for me that's the most important factor, I can try to understand and explain any number of qualities in the music, but in the end it's all about what I feel like listening and what I don't really want to listen on a common basis.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:20
It's not as if there isn't some great music today as good as anything in the past. Radiohead is proof of that. It's just that there is not as consistently great music today, than there was from a period in the mid sixties with the Beatles to a period around the mid seventies, with bands such as King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer and others. Prog bands like Spock's Beard, Marillion, BBT, Moon Safari and Dream Theater are brilliant in my view, but they fight a prevailing view in society today that mostly past musical tastes are dead and that popular music today is a combination of dance, electronic and punk bands. The exception is Blues music, classic rock and Metal which is as popular as ever. Steven Wilson seems to be the only Prog artist who can extract something out of present day popular music and turn it into something decent.

Edited by iluvmarillion - July 22 2019 at 22:23
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:33
There's a lot of great music coming out today, as far as the popular stuff, yeah not a fan. But Steven Wilson, Wobbler, Dear Hunter, King Gizzard, Neal Morse are all doing great stuff. That said most my favorite albums are from the 70s. I'm gonna chose not to vote though.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 23:28
I stopped paying attention to the pop charts more than 20 years ago. 40 years ago, most of what was at the top of the charts did not interest me either, but there was music that charted that I did like. There is excellence and dross in every decade. Good music is easier to find now, but not much of that makes the charts. I voted that music was better in the past even though there are good new artists around now, but most of what I listen to and discover is still from the 60s and 70s.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:41
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Despite being born in the 80s, 99% of what I listen to and love was made BEFORE I was born.

Same!

TONS of great replies in this thread (perfect for morning coffee).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:44
^ It has been a good'n.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 03:59
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

It's not as if there isn't some great music today as good as anything in the past. Radiohead is proof of that. 

Radiohead now is older than Yes and PF were when I got into music around 1980, and they were seen as dinosaurs by many at that time already.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 04:25
Counting the last weeks before 60 these days, I grew up in the heyday of prog, so those immortalized 70s classics had a great impact on me. Outside the prog niche, the music was, in general, better before disco and punk/new wave took over, even though crap has been of all times. I vote for the past, but with the remark that the 2010s have been a great decade for prog.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>