Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [64.29%]
10 [35.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen vs Elton John
    Posted: July 22 2019 at 12:18
In the aftermath of two movies being based on both acts its dumb not to create a poll. Bohemian Rapsody and Rocketman have both created a stir in both acts carear. One can not think of 1970s without these two acts, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and A Night at the Opera are legendary albums.

Two acts whom both aøhad glam and glitter but beneath that had serious artistic merits. Beneeth the billboard success and larg venues some incredible albums and songs have been made. Tumbleweed Connection and Queen II are often overlooked gems (and targets for my next poll).

So who is to you, your favourite act.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 12:22
Not a big fan of either really, but Queen gets the vote. They did do "Queen II" afterall, which is tolerably good
Songs cast a light on you
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 12:43
I'm not a super huge fan of either, either, but Elton did "CFBDC" which is just a wonderful album. And "Blue Moves" was also a gem.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:13
I haven't listened to Elton John for 30 years. So there's that.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:20
^ You might have lost out of something then, how to not sound like a smug when hearing such. From 1970 - 1975, Elton had quite the depth of songs which if listened to after 30 years would reveal elements that a listnerer might have overlooked. Elton is much more dexterious than Queen in this era . Not saying Queen lacked dexterity, but Elton was clever enough to marry power with a higher level of dexterity. Which emoted to a clearer ballance in dynamics. From Tumbleweed Connection to Honkey Chatteau that is very prominant.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

^ You might have lost out of something then, how to not sound like a smug when hearing such. From 1970 - 1975, Elton had quite the depth of songs which if listened to after 30 years would reveal elements that a listnerer might have overlooked. Elton is much more dexterious than Queen in this era . Not saying Queen lacked dexterity, but Elton was clever enough to marry power with a higher level of dexterity. Which emoted to a clearer ballance in dynamics. From Tumbleweed Connection to Honkey Chatteau that is very prominant.

Elton had some fine albums in the early/mid-70s, and then I stopped caring. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" and "Philadelphia Freedom" pretty much sealed my disinterest, and Elton became a bloated caricature of himself. I don't feel the need to revisit his catalog, since I wasn't a huge fan to begin with. 

I still listen to early Queen. Their dexterity works fine. Perhaps you shouldn't post polls if you get your panties in a twist when someone posts an opinion you don't care for. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Elton had some fine albums in the early/mid-70s, and then I stopped caring. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" and "Philadelphia Freedom" pretty much sealed my disinterest, and Elton became a bloated caricature of himself. I don't feel the need to revisit his catalog, since I wasn't a huge fan to begin with. 

I still listen to early Queen. Their dexterity works fine. Perhaps you shouldn't post polls if you get your panties in a twist when someone posts an opinion you don't care for. 
I quite like Queen and find their first 5 - 6 to be a very good run, and Innuendo is one of my first progrock songs i got into. What an amazing video it had and i always got teary eyes when, 'Show Must go On " is played in public. Couse it marks the pain and tragedy of the death of Freddy. Queen is a remarkable band and force of nature.

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2019 at 13:40
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 13:54
I like some EJ but Queen gets my vote. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:05
Funny how they both have movies out recently about them. :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:32
I think both have some very good early albums.....I can't say I like one better....but might go with Elton because I was listening to his stuff before Queen.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:35
can't say I'm a particular fan of either ... but generally like what E.J did more..  more songs that really connected than what Queen did.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:08
Elton John very easily.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:46
Oh come ahhhhhnnn.   Queen.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
viktor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 03:38
Queen of course
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 03:40
Queen all the way, although I'm finding appreciate Elton a bit more as I age. Maybe a nostalgia thing...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 04:32
Queen, though Elton John can be good now and then.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 09:55
Queen by far 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 10:08
Queen
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 10:09
I´ve just downloaded the Queen movie, Bohemian Rhapsody! I think it was as filmed in a cinema, though, as I see a little silhouetto of a man.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 10:34
I've been playing both lately so obviously I like both. Maybe Queen by a little. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>