Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roundabout (first-time Yes reaction)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roundabout (first-time Yes reaction)
    Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:04
This is actually a heartfelt first-time reaction to Yes.
You can't help but enjoy watching people discover prog rock.

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:40
Love these guys! Great reaction.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:42
I've seen them do Rush reviews but it's about time they got to Yes. 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:55
I'm a little lost here.  How have a couple of (I'm assuming seasoned) music reviewers not heard an almost 50 year old song which was one of the top played songs in its genre?  BTW 'Fragile' is certified "double Platinum".  I mean I'm not that big on country western but I've heard 'Hey Good Lookin'.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I'm a little lost here.  How have a couple of (I'm assuming seasoned) music reviewers not heard an almost 50 year old song which was one of the top played songs in its genre?  BTW 'Fragile' is certified "double Platinum".  I mean I'm not that big on country western but I've heard 'Hey Good Lookin'.

Well, for one thing they are African american so it's likely they didn't grow up exposed to classic rock let alone prog. Number two they are a bit younger(probably early 30's or so). That might not be the politically correct answer you want to hear but it's my opinion. While I do know of a few black men(very few)who were or are into rock and or prog they seem to be few and far between.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2019 at 19:56
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:19
^
Agree. There is a big thing on YT right now with reaction videos of just about everything, and people are getting around to prog and comedians like Bill Burr. One subset is many AA folks who really have little to no experience with stuff like prog rock or southern rock or metal, and so they get lots of people enjoying their first-time reaction to such songs. Some of these videos are very sincere, and some can be a bit contrived I think. Some can be entertaining and others pretty boring.

The Bill Burr ones can be hilarious because he does quite a bit of humor around race, and AA folks are sometimes raising their eyebrows but just as often laughing hard because his observations are funny and (I suspect) well intentioned. 

I posted this Yes one because it struck me as not only very sincere, but they are also particularly blown away by it, which is really fun to see.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:30
Hey I like Bill Burr. I would like to see them react to George Carlin too. I might have to look for that. 

There seems to be far fewer white guys reacting to rap/hip hop but that's probably out there too if you look for it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2019 at 20:30
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:31
Mike, I see you're from Philly. Have you seen Bill Burr's famous meltdown in Philly where he attacks the crowd for 15 minutes?  BrutalLOL

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 21:08
Not surprising--Roundabout is timeless genius--it swings and has an amazing groove---and sounds like nothing else---I know many black guys, mostly into music -- who love Yes and certain Genesis Gabriel and Phil songs---
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 21:22
They're not very seasoned in rock music. The point of their reaction channel is to make them more experienced in genres they haven't been exposed to and to open people's minds to listening to other genres.

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - July 22 2019 at 21:23
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:10
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Mike, I see you're from Philly. Have you seen Bill Burr's famous meltdown in Philly where he attacks the crowd for 15 minutes?  BrutalLOL

No, but I'll have to look for it on youtube. Wink
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've seen them do Rush reviews but it's about time they got to Yes. 
Yes, it is time they get to some other great prog bands.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 22:41
Actual good reaction video
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 23:34
Roundabout have that Sly n the Family Stone thing about it, Squire being asked who hes influences are, often praises Larry Graham and that Sly were one of hes favourite bands in early 70s. That bouncy bass on Roundabout is very Larry Graham esque.

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2019 at 23:34
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 23:52
"That bass, man!" "This is on a different level." I love the way they pick up on the grooves of the song. I also like the way they distinguish Prog Metal, which they know, from Prog Rock, which they don't. Transitions? "Seamless." Wakeman is blowing their minds. In the end, all they can do is nod their heads and rock out. Ultimately, I appreciate the racial and generational stereotypes this breaks through. Thanks for posting!
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:37
Further proof of the magic of Prog (and YES) being timeless, transcendental art!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 07:31
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

that bouncy bass on Roundabout is very Larry Graham esque.
Oh man, that makes a lot of sense.
I remember first hearing Larry Graham's bass playing (I think it was on the song 'Pow' by Graham Central Station) and I was blown away by the sheer power and energy of it all. 

Not surprised at all that Squire admired the guy.

Edited by Spacegod87 - September 24 2019 at 07:31
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 21:47
The Lost in Vegas guys are the best, they have set the bar and others simply copy. They are not too fond of DT, they did a Symphony X reaction and that also gave them a bad taste for prog. They are really not into the genre of progressive rock 'cept for Rush and Yes that they have done. They like Rush because of the musicianship, they recognize what those 3 guys have done. 
They also reacted to Anesthetize and if I remember right they thought it had its moments. If they add to their  "playlist" then they really like it.

What they really enjoy is metal and hard rock, they had a great reaction to Boston and a couple Black Sabbath songs.....You can tell they are very genuine. I like that they identify how prog can be wonky, playing just for playing with too many tempo changes.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 10:44
I liked it when he said something like 'just one thing... could any of you help me out with what 'Roundabout' means?'  Apart from LMAO it actually made me consider that Roundabout probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as great - nor would virtually any classic era Yes tracks - if you knew what the hell Anderson's lyrics meant. A lot of prog could be didactic or have way too much exposition (if it were a concept album) and it would get very clunky. But just pick a few key phrases that work on a non-specific but universal level (I get up i get down, close to the edge, soon o soon, lost in the city) and the rest can and probably should be be purple flying wolfhounds.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 18:52
I felt like I enjoyed it for the first time watching these guys discover it and their reaction.  Fun stuff!

I wonder if they have heard 21rst Century Schizoid Man, I would like to see their reaction to that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>