Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 20:40
I love classical music, and especially the rich history (including spies!) of lute, vihuela, and classical guitar.  
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:32
Could the database not be backed up somehow? A Phoenix rises from ashes should that be needed. I have had a love hate relationship with the site for years but if it were simply lost I think that all of us would lose something that over the years has been a valuable source of information and entertainment - it would be a sad day.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:47
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

Could the database not be backed up somehow? A Phoenix rises from ashes should that be needed. I have had a love hate relationship with the site for years but if it were simply lost I think that all of us would lose something that over the years has been a valuable source of information and entertainment - it would be a sad day.

I would be extremely surprised (and worried) if there was no backup policy in place for the PA database.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 09:31
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 09:39
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I love classical music, and especially the rich history (including spies!) of lute, vihuela, and classical guitar.  

I'm not as keen on some of the more recent developments of the instrument.

Edited by Jaketejas - August 05 2019 at 09:40
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 14:41
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 15:19
 “He who controls the pastcontrols the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.” George Orwell.

“He who controls the spice controls the universe.”― Frank Herbert

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 15:49
*ahem* I might be a bit of an odd duck here, but I enjoy the chemistry of the PA participants nearly as much as I enjoy the banter about prog, past, present and future!  

Many of my favorite folks are on this thread...Lazland (hello, Steve!), Slartibartfast, Moshkito etc.  Dunno where Presdoug is, if someone mentions "Triumvirate" he'll show up!  

I come to PA as an "old guy" who went to many historic shows, including CTTE (Sept 22, 1972), TAAB (Oct 10, 1972) and so forth.  As a part-time prog musician (bass, guitar, and keyboards, badly) I know how bloody much time and work is involved in writing, creating, arranging, recording and performing this music, and it can be exhausting!!  

Therefore, I find the community of PA as much fun as the talk of music....I "listen" to TFTO frequently, not so much for enjoyment, as to study its composition and deeply analyze what Yes were doing (Squire imitates an orchestra tympani by using a Guild fretless bass & plectrum, and I "borrowed" that technique in my playing!)

In summation, I learn from all of you, and it is a pleasure to participate!!  Who knows how long PA will survive, it really doesn't matter.  We are here today, so let us embrace the experience.  Cheers, Charles

Edited by cstack3 - August 22 2019 at 20:03
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 19:21
^
Yep, good post. Smile

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 21:41
^ Agreed   Clap

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 01:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

*ahem* I might be a bit of an odd duck here, but I enjoy the chemistry of the PA participants nearly as much as I enjoy the banter about prog, past, present and future!  

Many of my favorite folks are on this thread...Lazland (hello, Steve!), Slartibartfast, Moshkito etc.  Dunno where Presdoug is, if someone mentions "Triumvirate" he'll show up!  

I come to PA as an "old guy" who went to many historic shows, including CTTE (Sept 22, 1972), TAAB (Oct 10, 1972) and so forth.  As a part-time prog musician (bass, guitar, and keyboards, badly) I know how bloody much time and work is involved in writing, creating, arranging, recording and performing this music, and it can be exhausting!!  

Therefore, I find the community of PA as much fun as the talk of music....I "listen" to TFTO frequently, not so much for enjoyment, as to study its composition and deeply analyze what Yes were doing (Squire imitates an orchestra tympani by using a Guild fretless bass & plectrum, and I "borrowed" that technique in my playing!)

In summation, I learn from all of you, and it is a pleasure to participate!!  Who knows how long PA will survive, it really doesn't matter.  We are here today, so let us embrace the experience.  Cheers, Charles

This guy, right here! Clap

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 03:22
Interesting thread. I can only speak for myself really, but as someone who used to be a regular poster and contributor and then walked away for a long time (though evidently I am starting to poke my head round the door again every so often), it was a combination of factors.

Firstly, back then (somewhere in that 06-08 zone I'd guess) the site was going through a bit of an identity crisis and the endless cyclical arguments about how (or indeed if) to categorise certain bands on the site became tedious in the extreme. There was also an element of boredom as my tastes expanded and I wanted to discuss in depth music that falls outside prog's sacred canon. I was also at a period in my life (early twenties) when I had a lot of real life stuff to figure out which left rather less time for the site, especially the work (and my goodness it really does feel like work!) of being a collaborator. It all added up to a sense that it was time for me to move on, so I did. Evidently I was not alone.

Now, there's really two separate entities to consider here - the database and the community. The database remains an invaluable resource, though it increasingly feels like a product of its time. As the community pushed more and more to (rightly, IMO) widen the definition of prog to be as inclusive as possible of small-p "progressive" music in addition to capital P "Prog Rock", issues of semantics and gatekeeping arose and became rather poisonous at times. But that was unavoidable when we are contributing to a database built around a pre-Wiki framework - one where an artist's entire discography must, by nature of the site's very infrastructure, be crammed into a single (sometimes awkwardly fabricated) sub-genre. How much simpler would it be to tag artists, and individual albums, in as many genres and subgenres as are deemed to be relevant? But that can't be done. It's too late. So whilst the site contains an extraordinary amount of useful information and often brings to light wonderful obscure artists that might otherwise remain totally overlooked, the system feels rather flawed and dated, and that feeling will only increase with time. Older forum members may remember with fondness the "Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock" - one of the earliest online prog resources, which now appears to have gone the way of the dodo. It was a fine resource, but had its own quirks and flaws and was, in time, usurped by this very site. I think this site is already being usurped, not by one resource, but many - Wikipedia, Discogs, RYM, Reddit, Facebook, Spotify - all of them slowly chipping away at its relevancy.

So what of the community? I'm delighted to see that it still exists, though I must admit it is rare when I come a-lurkin' that I find a topic that I feel like responding to. Does anyone really need to know how much I like Gentle Giant at this point? But discussion forums in general are a dying breed - again, a product of a simpler time, before social media seemingly enveloped the entire web. These days I largely confine myself to Reddit where I can at least sometimes have interesting in-depth discussions about niche topics. But what Reddit lacks, and what I miss most about this forum, is that sense of getting to know individuals, even if all they are is an avatar, a username and a set of opinions. Maybe I should lead by example and try to be more active on here again?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 22:42
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

So what of the community? I'm delighted to see that it still exists, though I must admit it is rare when I come a-lurkin' that I find a topic that I feel like responding to. Does anyone really need to know how much I like Gentle Giant at this point? But discussion forums in general are a dying breed - again, a product of a simpler time, before social media seemingly enveloped the entire web. These days I largely confine myself to Reddit where I can at least sometimes have interesting in-depth discussions about niche topics. But what Reddit lacks, and what I miss most about this forum, is that sense of getting to know individuals, even if all they are is an avatar, a username and a set of opinions. Maybe I should lead by example and try to be more active on here again?

And this is one of my points and ideas ... when we see a lot of folks, like the majority of it, think that a one word response is a good enough "editorial" about what they think and ... in this sense ... yeah, forums like this one, will suffer in the end, because some folks are not interested in saying something ... in favor of a one word comment/judgement, that is so much ... against the very idea that helped spring up what became known as "Progressive Music" ... the shortness of a lot of music, and its pop content, rather than its value as a music composition and work.

I get complaints that a lot of folks don't like long responses, and will not read them ... tell you what ... YOU'RE SUGGESTING THAT ALL THE LONG CUTS WE LOVE ARE TOO LONG AND YOU WON'T LISTEN TO THEM? ... something is missing in that equation! The fact that hypocrisy is more apparent than music understanding and appreciation? Or comments explaining what they are saying? Like the music didn't do the same thing?

The future, is ... WHAT WE MAKE OF IT. The real issue is ... are we respecting the music, or just fluffing at the seams?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 22:58
Mosh , it's not the long responses that are the issue but more the looking down attitude towards forum members who have more pressing needs than spending hours and hours on a music forum. I come here because it's relaxing and I do not want the 'tension' that you seem to want to cultivate at times.

Yes I do often go for short responses often unless its about ELP then I can happily bore he pants off anyone given half a chance! But at the end of the day this should just be fun, Live and let live and hopefully pick up the occasional recommendation about bands I would never of heard of otherwise ( Bent Knee is a great example of that).
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:25
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Well stated. With the Amazon and Siberia burning and impending doom and gloom around every corner and monsters lurking under your bed, then we should savor the existence of this site while we can because it seems that all of existence will soon cease to be and we are only left with longing for the days when we had such resources at our disposal like PA. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I get complaints that a lot of folks don't like long responses, and will not read them ... tell you what ... YOU'RE SUGGESTING THAT ALL THE LONG CUTS WE LOVE ARE TOO LONG AND YOU WON'T LISTEN TO THEM? ... something is missing in that equation! The fact that hypocrisy is more apparent than music understanding and appreciation? Or comments explaining what they are saying? Like the music didn't do the same thing?

If you were in a prog rock band, it would be called "Palaverous Drivel", and your one and only failed album would be entitled:

This Album Has No Hits Because We As Artists Have Gone Out Of Our Way To Totally Alienate Whatever Fan-base We Thought We Had By Composing A Mind-Numbing And Endless Stream-of-Consciousness Reiteration -- A Recapitulation, As It Were -- Of The Same Bloated, Opinionated Blather, Accompanied By An Ensemble of Kleenex-Over-Comb, Kitchen Pots And Pans, And Rubber Bands.... But This Is Not a Parody, We are Totally Serious In Our Pompous And Overblown Opinions As We Have Repeatedly Stated, Over And Over, Like The Tide On A 1969 California Seaside Evening, With the Faint Scent of Patchouli Oil Caressing The Breeze -- And Like An Ingmar Bergman Film, I Am Playing Chess On The Beach With The Grim Reaper, Who I Am Boring To Death

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 24 2019 at 10:03
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 02:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

If you were in a prog rock band, it would be called "Palaverous Drivel", and your one and only failed album would be entitled:

This Album Has No Hits Because We As Artists Have Gone Out Of Our Way To Totally Alienate Whatever Fan-base We Thought We Had By Composing A Mind-Numbing And Endless Stream-of-Consciousness Reiteration -- A Recapitulation, As It Were -- Of The Same Bloated, Opinionated Blather, Accompanied By An Ensemble of Kleenex-Over-Comb, Kitchen Pots And Pans, And Rubber Bands.... But This Is Not a Parody, We are Totally Serious In Our Pompous And Overblown Opinions As We Have Repeatedly Stated, Over And Over, Like The Tide On A 1969 California Seaside Evening, With the Faint Scent of Patchouli Oil Caressing The Breeze -- And Like An Ingmar Bergman Film, I Am Playing Chess On The Beach With The Grim Reaper, Who I Am Boring To Death

I suggested that for Symphonic five years ago, but Ivan turned it down. Mind you, it was cleared within 24 hours...
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:04
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:23
Forums naturally die, nothing goes on forever. Instead of there being just a few locations for prog rock fans on the internet, there are countless numbers of Facebook pages. You meet new people there, new ideas, you don't get irritated by the same people posting much the same stuff in the same manner. Social media has changed internet forums. 

Also, it's not about "a group of old stick in the muds" discussing music from the 60's and 70's, there's a lot of modern content on here. But few ideas, and people seem to be posting for the sake of it. "Is Katy Perry Prog / What mollusc does prog remind you of ? / Led Zeppelin versus Madonna" etc etc. There are quite a few new ideas which could be introduced, but basically PA is stuck in the weeds. 

Even if you come up with new ideas, it requires user input and users are going elsewhere. So yes, it'll die. Everything dies. Eventually. 

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:25
As a PS, long, tedious posts which make no sense whatsoever are the main factor in why I rarely visit PA now. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>