Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson a hater?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson a hater?
    Posted: July 29 2019 at 23:05
I just found this quite funny LOL, some of you probably already know this, but i was on Steven Wilsons' website and looking at a massive PDF someone created of every album he has ever worked on, produced, or had anything to do with and i found this...

Dream Theater – Systematic Chaos June 2007 CD: EU Roadrunner Records – RR 7992-2 EU Roadrunner Records – RR 7992-8 (Special Edition CD/DVD) Vinyl: DE Cargo Records – RRCAR 7992-1 (2LP) Steven Wilson appears on "Repentance", a track about regrets for the things you've done that maybe hurt others, and the need to apologize for those things. And although Dream Theater are very good friends of Steven Wilson, he is not a very big fan of their music. So he contributed an apology to the track for being negative in the press about their music.

Embarrassed so i suppose i'm not the only one that gives Dream Theater a hard time, and feels bad about it.. i recently gave StarStar only 2 stars to Scenes from a Memory Metropolis Part II, and when i first listened to it a decade and a half ago i thought it was the greatest thing my ears had ever heard... but i was a child then so...

Anyway, funny enough, when i found Porcupine Tree is about the same time i stopped listening to Dream Theater so this makes a lot of sense. Now Steven Wilson is my favorite artist to obsess over, and his philosophy for music structure is what i believe in - quite opposite of Dream Theater LOLWink
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 23:06
By the way, if anyone wants to check out this awesome PDF of Steven Wilson discography it can be found here

And the little quip i found is on page 527

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 23:22
Originally posted by SoundsofSeasons SoundsofSeasons wrote:

By the way, if anyone wants to check out this awesome PDF of Steven Wilson discography it can be found here

And the little quip i found is on page 527

OMG

Whoever put that together has serious amounts of time on their hands. Insane.

Wilson certainly believes in hard work. ( is that the understatement of the century)

Being down on DT is not new of course. They are well up there with ELP , Marillion and a few others for being hated even by prog fans (perhaps more so!).

Wilson can be a bit of an ass. It took me about 5 years to appreciate what he does only because I thought he was too much of a pain in the bum to be taken seriously. He does a good 'imitation' of Bob Fripp in that respect ( his hidden mentor??!)

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 23:38
I agree it seems from what i'm reading about SW from his own words he knows he's an ass, and a control freak haha.. my guess he's one of those people that is so smart he knows full well what he is doing socially and just says 'Well yeah true, i am that person' but isn't going to change that about himself or even try. Like, say, Apple's late CEO 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 06:02
I didn’t know that about Steven Wilson. I admit that, though I like a lot of his music, I don’t know much about him as a person, so this is news to me.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:20
Then there is the fact that Wilson excluded Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann from the gold status awards of his records The Raven... and Hand.Cannot.Erase while others on the album were present. Now maybe this is just me, but I don't think those albums would have been as stellar without Guthrie and Marco. And why was Wilson being an ass about this?

So, in case you missed it, The Raven That Refused to Sing and Hand Cannot Erase went gold recently and Marco Minnemann went on a brief rant on social media (that he later deleted) about how Steven never contacted him about it and he only learned of it from his fans telling him. Then today he had this to day:

Just flew by Mount Everest on our way from Nepal to Bangkok. Pretty amazing I have to say. Now on a different quick note, I received a few questions about the gold awards for 'The Raven' and 'Hand.Cannot.Erase'. I'll try to keep it brief: Yes, some of the people involved in these productions had to learn through social media that these albums went gold. I seriously had no idea, so thanks for letting me know 😊. Well and what can I say, also at the end of the day they're SW's albums and he decides whom to share the success with. From what I've heard, some gold awards were given to one half of the band and the other half was excluded and not notified (very likely because of our decision for other band and touring commitments). But nevermind, we were all involved and played in the studio and live as a band and I'd like to believe that our musical contributions somehow at least to a certain degree shaped the vibe and style of these albums. Most important thing is that YOU appreciate and value the playing and contributions. So, thank you very much. Happily moving on, come to see the Aristocrats 'Tres Caballeros' world tour. We're in the middle of our Asian/ Australia leg and wow, India and Nepal were surely new and amazing places for us to explore and play and I can't thank everyone enough for making this tour such a huge success. Love you all :-), M.

and then this:

Well, to be honest, Raven and HCE are the only gold awards in that catalogue, aren't they... And excluding us, just because we cherish our own band The Aristocrats and refuse to ass crawl, is kind of a dick move.... Take your gold records and shove it.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:52
You tell him, Marco!!!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 07:55
think he suffers from some form of depression--he's very talented but not as great as he thinks 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 08:02
After his To the Bone release, which I would rate 2 stars tops. I am done with Mr. Wilson. I shall continue listening to his output that I like, but will no longer purchase any new releases from him or his side projects. There are too many great newer bands that deserve my time.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 30 2019 at 08:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 09:26
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

After his To the Bone release, which I would rate 2 stars tops. I am done with Mr. Wilson. I shall continue listening to his output that I like, but will no longer purchase any new releases from him or his side projects. There are too many great newer bands that deserve my time.

There are some very good things, and in his recent tour with Nick Beggs, there were some outstanding things, and it might show that SW has mellowed out a wee bit, and become more musician friendly, otherwise he might not get some of the folks that he has had a chance to be with ... but all in all, in his music, the drums and keyboards are always 2nd rate to the music, and it suggests that they are both just filled in later.

There are moments here and there that his words annoy me, but in general, an artist has his own voice and what not, and he has the right to say it ... and us not to give a damn about it. 

All in all, HCE is a very nice album, but in all likely hood, my preference would have been for a new PT album, as the other PT band, with the ... THAT ... drummer, is not sounding very good at all, since the music is not as well defined trip wise ... the atmospheric keyboards that Richard provides are too special, and no one else, really, can add to some music as much ... and the regular keyboards just don't sound that good, and the new PT sounds like a 2nd rate band, although you can tell that their studio equipment obviously had an improvement, and now the band sounds better ... (and I say ... ) than what?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 09:59
Damn. Turns out Steven Wilson is a flawed human.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 13:22
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

There it is! LOL! The essence of it all! 

Thank you, Patrick!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... but all in all, in his music, the drums and keyboards are always 2nd rate to the music, and it suggests that they are both just filled in later.

It's difficult for me to think of either Marco Minnemann or Adam Holzman as "2nd rate." Further, given that on at least the Raven and HCE both were provided significant room to create and improvise (at least that's what it looks like from the making of videos and from interviews) I don't really understand your overall comment. 

[QUOTE=moshkito][QUOTE=Grumpyprogfan]
There are moments here and there that his words annoy me, but in general, an artist has his own voice and what not, and he has the right to say it ... and us not to give a damn about it. 

This one I definitely have come to agree with. I found myself cringing more than a few times at some of the stage commentary Steven made during this last tour than in the other tours I have seen.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:28

I will probably carry on buying his stuff ( it takes a lot to put me off completely when I like an artist) but generally he has had his run of great albums. He now wants to be paid well for what he does rather than focus on creating something interesting but he is entitled to that I suppose and is not the first to go that way.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Yes....as we all are.

I like most of PT's stuff as well as most of Wilson's solo stuff.....so can someone enlighten me as to the point of this thread..?
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 17:43
Talk to any musician/music fan and they're bound to have some quirky negative opinions; Steven Wilson's not special in that regard. The only difference is that everyone (in the prog community) pays attention when he has an opinion.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 18:26
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Talk to any musician/music fan and they're bound to have some quirky negative opinions; Steven Wilson's not special in that regard. The only difference is that everyone (in the prog community) pays attention when he has an opinion.

My sentiments exactly.  If I only liked the music of artists that didn't do anything stupid or say something I didn't agree with, I wouldn't be a fan of anyone.   That goes for any artist/author/director/etc. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 22:28
lmao i didn't mean for this to become a sh*tpost SW thread hahaha.. oh well. SW is my favorite artist right now Big smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 00:07
Well he doesn't exactly come across a warm fuzzy human being and he certainly is not shy on giving his opinions about other bands and artists (usually quite negative) . He has always been the self styled saviour of progressive rock from very early days of PT . He knows what 'progressive' is and what it isn't (apparently). He comes off as quite arrogant but perhaps now is realising that. As for the music , well he works damn hard and he sensibly surrounds himself with excellent musicians who can fill in the gaps. I am a fan … but only of the music. I don't know him and as previously said he is just a human being with flaws. However most of us try to recognise our flaws. There are certain types that plough on regardless and maybe not recognising their flaws is probably an advantage to getting on!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 05:20
SW is one of the few artists that could release an album of fart noises and his fans would call it a masterpiece.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>