Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wish You Were Here has overtaken Thick As A Brick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wish You Were Here has overtaken Thick As A Brick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 01:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

WHO CARES ????

Dudes,
Stop looking at these PA top whatever lists (they're rigged, skewed, fixed and cheated anywaysClown), it ruins your brains and waste your life

amen
even a dog stops chasing its tale eventually

But then what will there be for content to post about? You mean people might actually have to find a real hobby for once?! Wink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 09:08
This last page is full of wisdom. The charts are, to me at least, a wonderful way of introducing newbies to the genre...but once you’ve been here for a while you realise just how much brilliance and zing the alleyways of prog have to offer.
I vastly prefer the Punk Flute offering to Jethro’s most acclaimed pork album yet I am completely indifferent to how they place in ‘the chart’.
If and when folks feel the urge to pump up the rating of X album, then they should write a review. A review says infinitely more than a couple of stars.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 15 2019 at 09:08
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 09:15
^ great to see you back here, David :)

I wonder if anyone has ever committed a mass shooting over this subject. Ugh. I'm a bad dog for even thinking such things Ouch

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:30
I gave 'only' 4 stars to both albums so I didn't contribute to tipping one past the other at any rate. Wink  And my numero uno would be Red, so Not My President, sorry folks!  Wish I could add a Trump meme to that for effect but nevermind.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:37
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If we don't discuss these "lists" and "rankings" then there is nothing to discuss.....shut down PA.

Oh, no, there's plenty that we could discuss instead.  Here's a sampling and which is merely the tip of the iceberg. 

Here, Beato breaks down why this Genesis track works, in a fair amount of detail.  I remember Hackettfan posted it here as well.  

And this is just one track.  We could potentially do this for the entire prog universe.  That is, it would be far more interesting to discuss what makes TAAB work or what makes Shine One work than compare ratings of one with the other.  But for whatever reason, there's always been only limited appetite for the former category of discussions on here.

When people say who cares, what they mean is we all know TAAB and WYWH are classics of the genre irrespective of where we may rank them in our personal lists.  They are also both 45 years old or more at this point.  Think about that.  When Starostin launched his original website, he was talking about jazz's heyday being a half a decade in the past.  That's the point at which prog is now.  Does it really matter if, temporarily, one album gets a smidgen ahead of the other in the ratings?  No, the answer, as much as you dislike it, is it.does.not.matter.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:17
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That is, it would be far more interesting to discuss what makes TAAB work or what makes Shine One work than compare ratings of one with the other.  But for whatever reason, there's always been only limited appetite for the former category of discussions on here.

I maybe a bit over critical of this, but this is where a lot of "ADMINS" could really help some of these discussions. A lot of the material I post is about the the appetite for a lot of these discussions ... and then all I get left with is ... you like this song, because it is ranked number 3 ... and there are no words for anything else, and the comments from many, are all a continuation of the like/dislike and not anything else ... and this is where things get nebulous for me, and the work of "progressive music" becomes less and less valuable and important ... and I would wish to see PA help that element a bit more.

Likewise, the information and the attitude towards the band's information and SPECIALLY the listing of albums, that also includes the single releases from Patagonia and the double side EP from Mars. This is just like THE DOORS ... so we're going to include a review of "Light My Fire" simply because it was a single ... ? That's bass ackwards for me ... and a bit on the scary side, because all of a sudden we allow too much garbage into the system ... and nothing will dilute the content of the site, than the gibberish and the garbage.

At the very least I do not discuss number one or 2. My mom is the corporate accountant ... and I do help some with data entry ... but I do not do numbers when away from the office ... PERIOD!

It's just scary to me that a post about one of this overtaking that ... becomes a more important discussion, that what the music is about, and how it has survived and lived for almost 50 years ... I guess no one gives a darn ... and that is F0R ME a really bad/poor reflection of the mentality on the board ... I certainly do not see DAMO and some of the best ADMINS on this board feeding that monster!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

That is, it would be far more interesting to discuss what makes TAAB work or what makes Shine One work than compare ratings of one with the other.  But for whatever reason, there's always been only limited appetite for the former category of discussions on here.

I maybe a bit over critical of this, but this is where a lot of "ADMINS" could really help some of these discussions. A lot of the material I post is about the the appetite for a lot of these discussions ... and then all I get left with is ... you like this song, because it is ranked number 3 ... and there are no words for anything else, and the comments from many, are all a continuation of the like/dislike and not anything else ... and this is where things get nebulous for me, and the work of "progressive music" becomes less and less valuable and important ... and I would wish to see PA help that element a bit more.

Likewise, the information and the attitude towards the band's information and SPECIALLY the listing of albums, that also includes the single releases from Patagonia and the double side EP from Mars. This is just like THE DOORS ... so we're going to include a review of "Light My Fire" simply because it was a single ... ? That's bass ackwards for me ... and a bit on the scary side, because all of a sudden we allow too much garbage into the system ... and nothing will dilute the content of the site, than the gibberish and the garbage.

At the very least I do not discuss number one or 2. My mom is the corporate accountant ... and I do help some with data entry ... but I do not do numbers when away from the office ... PERIOD!

It's just scary to me that a post about one of this overtaking that ... becomes a more important discussion, that what the music is about, and how it has survived and lived for almost 50 years ... I guess no one gives a darn ... and that is F0R ME a really bad/poor reflection of the mentality on the board ... I certainly do not see DAMO and some of the best ADMINS on this board feeding that monster!

I would agree with you except I don't see you prompting those discussions.  Mosh, it would help a lot if you didn't turn your every post into a rant on this topic.  Even if you have a point, you don't seem to appreciate that it becomes a turn off and people simply tune out of reading further.  Just get with it, discuss deeper about songs like say another poster TODDLER used to.  Don't bother with the revolution.  Remember the top 10 and other features are of the site owner and not created by the mods.  So even if mods sympathise, nothing much they can do about it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:24
On RYM Wish You Were Here is at #4 for ALL albums of ALL time
while Thick As A Brick is way down the list at #170 so this development is more in line with the masses

Wish You Were Here 
ArtistPink Floyd 
TypeAlbum
Released12 September 1975
Recorded6 January 1975 - July 1975 
RYM Rating4.28 5.0 from 35,984 ratings
Friends4.26 from 335 ratings
Ranked#1 for 1975, #4 overall
Genresvote on genres
Descriptors

Thick as a Brick 
ArtistJethro Tull 
TypeAlbum
Released10 March 1972
RecordedDecember 1971
RYM Rating4.02 5.0 from 9,402 ratings
Friends4.13 from 191 ratings
Ranked#7 for 1972, #170 overall
Genresvote on genres

Edited by siLLy puPPy - August 16 2019 at 08:24

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ great to see you back here, David :)

I wonder if anyone has ever committed a mass shooting over this subject. Ugh. I'm a bad dog for even thinking such things Ouch

Hi Mike
Lots of bad dogs about...just remember to pee outside
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

On RYM Wish You Were Here is at #4 for ALL albums of ALL time
while Thick As A Brick is way down the list at #170 so this development is more in line with the masses

Wish You Were Here 
ArtistPink Floyd 
TypeAlbum
Released12 September 1975
Recorded6 January 1975 - July 1975 
RYM Rating4.28 5.0 from 35,984 ratings
Friends4.26 from 335 ratings
Ranked#1 for 1975, #4 overall
Genresvote on genres
Descriptors

Thick as a Brick 
ArtistJethro Tull 
TypeAlbum
Released10 March 1972
RecordedDecember 1971
RYM Rating4.02 5.0 from 9,402 ratings
Friends4.13 from 191 ratings
Ranked#7 for 1972, #170 overall
Genresvote on genres

Hardly surprising as WYWH (as also DSOTM) is more popular with the general rock audience.  The Wall seems to have undergone a revision at least going by RYM.  When I was getting into rock, Wall was insanely popular among PF fans.  Probably second most (first being DSOTM).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:01

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If we don't discuss these "lists" and "rankings" then there is nothing to discuss.....shut down PA.

Oh, no, there's plenty that we could discuss instead.  Here's a sampling and which is merely the tip of the iceberg. 

Here, Beato breaks down why this Genesis track works, in a fair amount of detail.  I remember Hackettfan posted it here as well.  

And this is just one track.  We could potentially do this for the entire prog universe.  That is, it would be far more interesting to discuss what makes TAAB work or what makes Shine One work than compare ratings of one with the other.  But for whatever reason, there's always been only limited appetite for the former category of discussions on here.

When people say who cares, what they mean is we all know TAAB and WYWH are classics of the genre irrespective of where we may rank them in our personal lists.  They are also both 45 years old or more at this point.  Think about that.  When Starostin launched his original website, he was talking about jazz's heyday being a half a decade in the past.  That's the point at which prog is now.  Does it really matter if, temporarily, one album gets a smidgen ahead of the other in the ratings?  No, the answer, as much as you dislike it, is it.does.not.matter.

the other part of the "who cares" movement, speaking for myself, is there are a lot of other albums out there we could discuss that maybe some people haven't heard, that might not even be in the "top 1000" yet are near and dear to us.  As a prog fan, I feel generally unimpressed by the idea of hit charts, even hit album charts.  So I don't get this trading of one type of chart for another;  it's still a popularity contest that says nothing in and of itself about the value of an album to ME.  Reject the charts!  Long live prog folk!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:17

the other part of the "who cares" movement, speaking for myself, is there are a lot of other albums out there we could discuss that maybe some people haven't heard, that might not even be in the "top 1000" yet are near and dear to us.  As a prog fan, I feel generally unimpressed by the idea of hit charts, even hit album charts.  So I don't get this trading of one type of chart for another;  it's still a popularity contest that says nothing in and of itself about the value of an album to ME.  Reject the charts!  Long live prog folk!

Yeah, in short, there's plenty to do on this website without having to discuss movements in the top 5 all time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:24
So why do so many of those who don't care post in this thread then?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Same reason that anybody posts in any thread on the internet.  It snowballs and you're like, ok what's going on here.  If I have spent the time to read through these messages, might as well say what I think.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:34
Wish you were thick as a brick here. Tongue

Who cares? You might be dead
Who cares? You stayed in bed
Who cares? You wrote the note
Who cares? You might have spoke
Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 16 2019 at 09:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 16:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

So we can derail the topic at hand and steer the conversation of how Jane Fonda keeps her breasts so perky at the age of 81 LOL

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 18:52

....  So I don't get this trading of one type of chart for another;  it's still a popularity contest that says nothing in and of itself about the value of an album to ME.  Reject the charts!  Long live prog folk!

Or one can look at the story of Branson and Virgin ... when you can't sell, you create your own Top Ten, and all of a sudden, become a major player!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 00:30
Personally I think albums are overrated anyway. Most of the highest rated albums reflect consistency rather than inspiration. Tarkus was the most inspired prog track of the early seventies imo and gets a lot of praise on this forum. Where is this album on the charts? Nowhere because side 2 is a mix of 'ordinary' rock tracks and a bit of experimentation that didn't quite work. This is not a rant about ELP not being higher rated, I don't care that much (ok a little bit maybe but not enough to get upset about it).
I would like a rating system for tracks ideally. That would be much more interesting and makes more sense to me.
nb. Mosh will now tell me I'm only conditioned to accept 'songs' and I don't respect the artists choices.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 05:27
Well we had this...
...with Tarkus on 5. I tend to be with Mosh on this one though, albums seem to me the far more natural unit for prog than songs.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tarkus was the most inspired prog track of the early seventies imo and gets a lot of praise on this forum. Where is this album on the charts? 

You already know that is, for me, one of the best piano concerto's done in the 20th century ... just close your eyes and listen to Rachel Flowers do it!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Mosh will now tell me I'm only conditioned to accept 'songs' and I don't respect the artists choices.

Enough pudding on the floor ... you and I grew up after our diapers! Embarrassed
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>