Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Midi (band)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Midi (band)
    Posted: August 01 2019 at 21:31
Have you heard of the new band Black Midi? Their debut is crushing and totally innovative. Check it out if you haven't.

If you have heard them, how would you consider them in relation to prog? I think they're certainly progressive, but not in the classic (Yes, Genesis, etc.) sense, though their song "953" gives me major Schizoid vibes.

Here's a link: https://youtu.be/WsBhNRITtdk

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - August 01 2019 at 21:33
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 02:16
Good 1! I think i had listened to 1 track before. Well, math rock is a suitable label for them. Btw, I think u'll like this video: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2reuQyLoZM
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 08:52
Great album!!!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 23:36
Holy shoot, that was insane! Thanks for the video!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 10:44
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Their debut is...totally innovative

It is if you're not familiar with This Heat and Slint This band is basically one plus another (minus hooks)
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 12:07
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Their debut is...totally innovative

It is if you're not familiar with This Heat and Slint This band is basically one plus another (minus hooks)
Eh, maybe Tweez era Slint, but definitely not Spiderland, and I also don't think This Heat is a great comparison either, nor do I think any of these bands really have a whole lot of hooks in the traditional sense. I think they most sound like this specific Tera Melos live session:

Edited by Polymorphia - September 13 2019 at 12:10
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 15:07
No idea what song, and not sure they've won the Hyundai Mercury Music Prize I am watching but wow!
That was actually quite impressive so looking forward to getting into the album!
 Post Reply Post Reply