Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Been on a 70s Uriah Heep binge & noticed something
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Been on a 70s Uriah Heep binge & noticed something

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote souio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Been on a 70s Uriah Heep binge & noticed something
    Posted: August 02 2019 at 20:46
Outside of their proggy/hard rock stuff, a lot of their poppier songs/slower songs seem really country/southern rock based. Even one of their proggiest songs (Magician's Birthday) has a main riff that sounds like an abridged version of Sweet Home Alabama (but was actually released a year before.. Skynyrd were Heep fans?! lol). But yeah, I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed the country-vibes in UH's music
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 08:03
I came to Heep late, but Damn!  Heep- a- lotta fun. 
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 13:21
as a bass player growing up in cover bands , I found that most of the bands from this era that had a couple guitar players trended towards this sound. Throw Heep and Kansas and Skynrd and 38 Special and UFO and Styx and into a pile .... the layers get a certain density. Add a keyboard and usually one or more of these players also sings so now you have another layer. As a bassist I find it pretty confining, but for radio play you can see how people latch onto these big arrangements. many of the prog stuff we like actually has more space to allow individual instruments to have more elbow room to explore. Not that they all sound alike, but these guitar based bands only have so much framework inside that riff based song. Just my experience.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 21:23
Originally posted by souio souio wrote:

Outside of their proggy/hard rock stuff, a lot of their poppier songs/slower songs seem really country/southern rock based. Even one of their proggiest songs (Magician's Birthday) has a main riff that sounds like an abridged version of Sweet Home Alabama (but was actually released a year before.. Skynyrd were Heep fans?! lol). But yeah, I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed the country-vibes in UH's music

Now that you mention it; yep some similarities with Magician's Birthday and Sweet Home Alabama.

There's always the talk of similarities between Blowin' Free by Wishbone Ash and Reeling In The Years by Steely Dan. Blowin' Free's release preceded Reeling In The Years by ~7 months. But who knows?!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 11:14
Never heard the country influence..........maybe revisiting the Heep might be in order.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply