Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Least appreciated team-ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Least appreciated team-ups
    Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:17
Which collaborations between prog artists do you feel get least appreciated generally?

I was thinking about Dave Stewart's work on Bruford's band - I feel like his increasing experimentation with keyboard timbre (as Bruford suggested) really gelled well with Bruford's style at the time, and that of the rest of the band.

Also I think that Steve Miller (the brother of Phil Miller, not that other Steve) was the best keyboardist Caravan ever had, though he was only on the one album.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:27
As you mentioned Caravan, I'll bring up Richard Sinclair's very underappreciated tenure in Camel. He barely got any room to display his considerable talents on Rain Dances, and Breathless was definitely not on a par with the band's previous albums, but his performance on A Live Album shows what a great addition he was to the band.

Edited by Raff - August 03 2019 at 14:27
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 16:59
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As you mentioned Caravan, I'll bring up Richard Sinclair's very underappreciated tenure in Camel. He barely got any room to display his considerable talents on Rain Dances, and Breathless was definitely not on a par with the band's previous albums, but his performance on A Live Album shows what a great addition he was to the band.

Yeah - also (aside from his time in Hatfield of course) the Caravan of Dreams band he formed in the 90s had some good live versions of songs from his previous bands. I also kind of like his Genesis cover (For Absent Friends).
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 19:30
Ian Anderson plays flute on the Men Without Hats song "On Tuesday" from their album Pop Goes the World (1987). The song is fine if the singer just shut the hell up...and perhaps the lyricist was shot. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 21:03
The singer from 'Til Tuesday (remember Voices Carry? ... great song), Aimee Mann, sings on Rush's Time Stand Still.

Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons (remember Words and Destination Unknown? … also very nice) sang for Frank Zappa.

Les Claypool of Primus did some kind of technical work on one of Yngwie J. Malmsteen's early albums.

And Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin are collaborating on another album … called Onion 2.

Edited by Jaketejas - August 03 2019 at 21:08
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 21:22
My vote goes to the two Summers and Fripp albums.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 21:25
I have them both.  Huge Andy Summers fan!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 22:14
What do you think of Synaesthesia? It's the only solo album by him I have heard(or have). I like it except for that one track which is nothing but him banging on the piano or something. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 22:59
Hmmm ... I have Charming Snakes and it's very good, the ones with Fripp, and everything he did with The Police. I don't think I have that particular solo album. I'll have to hunt for it.

Edited by Jaketejas - August 03 2019 at 23:02
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 23:01
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Ian Anderson plays flute on the Men Without Hats song "On Tuesday" from their album Pop Goes the World (1987). The song is fine if the singer just shut the hell up...and perhaps the lyricist was shot. 
Ian also guests on Native American artist Mary Youngblood's album Feed the Fire.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 23:01
Jethro Tull would have hardly be what it was without Martin Barre. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 23:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What do you think of Synaesthesia? It's the only solo album by him I have heard(or have). I like it except for that one track which is nothing but him banging on the piano or something. 

The "Alex Lifeson chord" is often mentioned which is essentially an F# major adding the open strings at the top but how about the "Andy Summers Wobbly Chord" in the middle of Message in a Bottle. Brilliant! I love how he drew from jazz chords and applied them in rock, such as the maj 7 chords in Roxanne. He also used a lot of nice suspended chords and was a master of effects. After The Police he toured the talk shows and they were always trying to get him to do fast solos but that was not really his style. More of a chord maestro, and some intricate arpeggiated riffs like Secret Journey. That was such a great era for music. I miss it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 02:10
Kate Bush and Andrew Powell for her first couple of albums ( I could include Alan Parsons Project accepting AP himself as it had most of his band!)

Kate certainly surrounded herself with some great musicians. All these people have played or contributed something on her albums
Morris Pert
Francis Monkman
Richard Harvey
Larry Fast
Roy Harper
Geoff Downes
Dave Lawson
John Williams
Dave Gilmour
Nigel Kennedy
Michael Nyman
Mick Karn
Gary Brooker
Michael Kamen
Eric Clapton
Prince 
Jeff Beck
Lol Creme
Steve Gadd
Elton John
Andy Fairweather Low

that's just scratching the surface!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

The "Alex Lifeson chord" is often mentioned which is essentially an F# major adding the open strings at the top but how about the "Andy Summers Wobbly Chord" in the middle of Message in a Bottle. Brilliant! I love how he drew from jazz chords and applied them in rock, such as the maj 7 chords in Roxanne. He also used a lot of nice suspended chords and was a master of effects. After The Police he toured the talk shows and they were always trying to get him to do fast solos but that was not really his style. More of a chord maestro, and some intricate arpeggiated riffs like Secret Journey. That was such a great era for music. I miss it.

I think it's no secret that Alex borrowed heavily from Summers style. You can especially hear it on Grace Under Pressure(not so much before that). I think it's interesting that he went in a more jazzy direction after the Police. I think Sting did too to some degree actually. Not sure what happened with Stewart Copeland other than he was in Oysterhead and maybe some other projects.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 21:23
And Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin are collaborating on another album … called Onion 2.

Funny LOL--one Onion was enough---plus Howe doesn't need to work with Rabin he needs to work with Anderson .
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 01:03
Robert Fripp and Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates).
Bigger on the inside.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 05:13

My vote goes to the two Summers and Fripp albums.

THIS!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 05:14
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Funny LOL--one Onion was enough---plus Howe doesn't need to work with Rabin he needs to work with Anderson .

So very, very true . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 07:12
… and their act will be called "A Night With a Third Band Playing Yes Music"
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 07:46

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I think it's no secret that Alex borrowed heavily from Summers style. You can especially hear it on Grace Under Pressure(not so much before that). I think it's interesting that he went in a more jazzy direction after the Police. I think Sting did too to some degree actually. Not sure what happened with Stewart Copeland other than he was in Oysterhead and maybe some other projects.

They definitely both liked to use Sus2 chords of various forms (Da Doo Doo Doo Da Dah Dah Dah, Every Breath You Take, Message in a Bottle, etc. etc.  …. and Distant Early Warning, Mystic Rhythms, etc.).  I love those various rich chords, but Andy was probably better at stretching his fingers.  :-)   In contrast, Andy Summers uses some interesting but simpler chords with short stretches in Bring on the Night, Walking On the Moon, as well as Ms. Gradenko.  I love their B side songs, too, like the trance-like Voices Inside My Head.  I remember being mesmerized by his performance with Fripp on I Advance Masked.

I know that, like many of our beloved prog and prog-related musicians (Jimmy Page, Trevor Rabin, Andy Summers, etc.), SC worked on a number of movie soundtracks (mid-80s onwards) like Highlander 2 and Me, Myself, and Irene.  Andy Summers was on the Down and Out in Beverly Hills soundtrack, which I always thought sounded interesting.  Jimmy Page shows up on a Death Wish soundtrack.  Even Rik Emmett of Triumph gave it a go, and was on the Problem Child 2 soundtrack.  Trevor Rabin, like, SC, has been prolific in that area, really getting going in the mid-1990s.

In the early to mid-1990s, I saw SC provide percussion to a ballet performance where the dancers mimicked predator/prey relationships, and it was aptly entitled "Prey".  My bandmate and I didn't know who to watch, the dancers or Stewart Copeland, so I remember ending up with a sore neck afterwards (it was like watching tennis).  SC flew in on a helicopter and had a bottle of some alcoholic beverage.  He gave his amazing backing performance, and no sooner had he arrived then he was off again.

I was being silly, but if Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin could put their differences aside, I always wondered what such an album might sound like.  Face it.  We'll never know!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>