Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Least appreciated team-ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:06
These are not exactly collaborations "between prog artists" but several ex Can-members teamed up with more modern (techno etc.) musicians on their later solo projects with generally awesome results, be it Holger Czukay & Dr. Walker, Irmin Schmidt & Kumo, Jaki Liebezeit & Burn Friedman, there are more. Also Irmin Schmidt did a charming progressive electronic album (Toy Planet) with Bruno Spoerri. The work of Holger Czukay with David Sylvian is somewhat better known in these quarters but probably still fits the "underappreciated" category, as does Holger's early 80s work with Conny Planck. Also Czukay and Liebezeit have some great stuff with The Edge from U2 and PIL's Jah Wobble.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:26
Brian Eno: The startup sound used on Windows 95 (but not later versions of Windows) LOL Yes, it's true !
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:33
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Brian Eno: The startup sound used on Windows 95 (but not later versions of Windows) LOL Yes, it's true !

Though that was probably meant for the other thread on weird projects!?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 10:06
Phil Collins with Brand X.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 13:26
Andy Tillison and Boff Whalley
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Phil Collins with Brand X.

or Phil Collins with Genesis (post Hackett and Gabriel)

Wink
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 03:46

Don't forget Robert Fripp and Windows Vista's startup sound, although that OS was forgettable by itself LOL
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 04:07
Right-on !LOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:44
The title of this post made me think immediately of the touring band with David Sylvian around 1989--Mark Isham, David Torn, and, of course, Richard Barbieri and brother Steve Jansen.

but also Hall and Oates with Todd Rundgren and his Utopia band for the entire War Babies album:

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 01:39

This was bad enough, isn't it?

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:46
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Don't forget Robert Fripp and Windows Vista's startup sound, although that OS was forgettable by itself LOL
Now we just need them to get together and do a Fripp & Eno startup sound for the next crappy version of Windows MS comes out with. Preferably an ambient one that lasts for fifteen minutes.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:56
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Now we just need them to get together and do a Fripp & Eno startup sound for the next crappy version of Windows MS comes out with. Preferably an ambient one that lasts for fifteen minutes.
Are you sure that 15 minutes are enough for the booting time?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 04:13
^ I wouldn't mind a nice ambient tune for those endless updates.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 04:28
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Are you sure that 15 minutes are enough for the booting time?
With the sh*tty Lenovo laptop I am currently using, it'd be about right.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 21:00
I enjoyed Bob Fripp's collaboration with David Sylvian a great deal!  I'm not sure they ever got the appreciation they deserved, Bob's solo work was outstanding.  This may be my favorite....

Edited by cstack3 - August 16 2019 at 21:07
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I have them both.  Huge Andy Summers fan!

Heck ... you need to get TRANCEFORMATION by Eberhard Schoenner ... all the members of THE POLICE play/song with him, more than once! And "Tranceformation" is a massively GREAT album, that will turn your head inside out about a few Gregorian Chants!

I like to joke ... in the opening of that album ... here comes the screaming preacher!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 00:11
What about "Mike and the Mechanics? 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 12:25
I've never read that Fripp producing Gabriel (P.G. 2) was a good idea. Have seen a few articles where Gabriel is said to have been generally unhappy with the album. IMO, 2 gets ignored for the most part.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 14:18
Tony Levin has had a few good ones. Bozzio, Levin, Stevens & Levin, Minnemann, Rudess are two that come to mind.  Liquid Tension Experiment is another.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 12:12
I love the Jon and Vangelis team-up, and I always thought they were well appreciated. But the ratings here indicate a more lukewarm reception than I would have expected. Curious!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>