Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weirdest Albums Proggers Appear On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weirdest Albums Proggers Appear On
    Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:21
What are some of the most random album appearances you've discovered?

I was surprised to find Bruford randomly appeared on a partially narrated album based on "Peter and the Wolf" with a number of other proggers, but only contributed a few snare hits to one track.

Also Robert Fripp randomly produced two albums by Irish vocal trio "The Roches" (I have one and it's pretty good - he adds a few nice guitar parts to several tracks).
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:24
Steve Howe on the title-track of  Frankie Goes to Hollywood's album Welcome to the Pleasuredome. The 13-minute-plus version is pure prog!

Edited by Raff - August 03 2019 at 14:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:53
wasn't Robert Fripp session musician on a Blondie song?(I forgot the name) Embarrassed
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 14:57
^ Fade Away and Radiate (not you, I mean the name of the song from the Blondie album Parallel Lines...)
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 15:20
Keith Emerson played on a Rod Stewart album, forget the name.

"E.H. in the UK" features jazz man Eddie Harris backed by an all-star group of Brits including most of early Yes, Ian Paice and others.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 15:35
Magma bassist Jannick Top appeared as the bassist, arranger and musical director on a few Céline Dion releases.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 16:32
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Keith Emerson played on a Rod Stewart album, forget the name.

"E.H. in the UK" features jazz man Eddie Harris backed by an all-star group of Brits including most of early Yes, Ian Paice and others.

The Rod Stewart album was An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down from 1969

Edited by ExittheLemming - August 03 2019 at 16:38
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 17:26
Fripp produced and performed on Sacred Songs, the first Daryl Hall solo LP. May have co-written some of it too. Pretty good album, btw.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 18:25
for a couple of concerts Peter Hammill teamed up with the Kronos Quartet, they would play their composition "The Music of Erich Zann" (the composer was actually John Geist) based on the story of the same name by famous horror writer H. P. Lovecraft. Peter Hammill narrated the story (the words remained unchanged) and the Kronos Quartet played along. they performed this three times. this recording is from July 22nd 1994 at the Barbican Centre in London:

the event starts at 01:47:32

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 18:39
Do you really mean "weirdest album" or rather "uncharacteristic of?"

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 23:06
Tony Levin played with Paul MacCartney.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 01:12
Jon Anderson did some vocals on a Toto song on their 1988 album The Seventh One.

Edited by Cristi - August 28 2019 at 15:38
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 01:45
When I had a vinyl collection I had a number of albums by Contempory Christian Artists, one such was Only Visiting This Planet by Larry Norman. I was reading the liner notes whilst listening and I noticed that the bass guitarist on it was John Wetton.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 01:52
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Steve Howe on the title-track of  Frankie Goes to Hollywood's album Welcome to the Pleasuredome. The 13-minute-plus version is pure prog!

Steve Howe also played on Propaganda's A Secret Wish ( Trevor Horn connection again)
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

When I had a vinyl collection I had a number of albums by Contempory Christian Artists, one such was Only Visiting This Planet by Larry Norman. I was reading the liner notes whilst listening and I noticed that the bass guitarist on it was John Wetton.

Only Visiting This Planet by Larry Norman is great album.  Kind of cross between Neil Young and Dylan.  Excellent song writing.  

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Is there anyone he never played with; he seems to be ubiquitous? He played with Family, Uriah Heep, Roxy Music, King Crimson, U.K., Wishbone Ash, Atoll, Quango, Renaissance, Phenomena, Brian Eno, Steve Hackett, Phil Manzanera, Eddie Jobson, Roger Chapman and more.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 07:33
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

The whole first LP on both sides is all prog ... specially when played non-stop.

It's totally a beaut! Needs to be put on the stage with lots of dances and insanity, though!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 21:12
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

What are some of the most random album appearances you've discovered?

I was surprised to find Bruford randomly appeared on a partially narrated album based on "Peter and the Wolf" with a number of other proggers, but only contributed a few snare hits to one track.

Also Robert Fripp randomly produced two albums by Irish vocal trio "The Roches" (I have one and it's pretty good - he adds a few nice guitar parts to several tracks).

The Roaches are an American group--specifcially I think New Jersey not Ireland. I know some of them.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 06:17
Not a really a weird Album itself but the Folk/Singer Songerwriter debut Album by
"Colin Scot" was backed by a whole army of prominent Proggies:

Members of Genesis, Yes, VdGG, King Crimson, Rare Bird, Affinity, Lindisfarne, Brinsley Schwarz,
Renaissance and Spinal Tap (!) are singing and playing on this '71 Album.
Colin Scot - Guitar, Vocals
David Jackson - Saxophone
Ian Thornton - Trumpet
Brinsley Schwarz - Guitar
Robert Fripp - Guitar
Davey Johnstone - Guitar
David Kaffinetti- Keyboards
Rick Wakeman - Keyboards
Bob Andrews - Keyboards
Nic Potter - Bass
Rod Clements - Bass
Guy Evans - Drums
Billy Rankin - Drums
Peter Hammill - Vocals
Steve Gould - Vocals
Peter Gabriel - Vocals
Phil Collins - Vocals
Anne Stuart - Vocals
Jane Relf - Vocals
Jon Anderson - Vocals
Linda Hoyle - Vocals
Alan Hull - Vocals

Edited by TheH - August 05 2019 at 06:23
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 06:36
Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics to "Land of Make Believe" by Bucks Fizz.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>