Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Song in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song in the style of The Battle Of Epping Forest
    Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:12
Everything is in the title. I would like to know more songs in this style of this song by Genesis (same story telling, same musical dimension, etc...).

Thank you for your future answers.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:19
Get em out by Friday from Foxtrot (also by Genesis).
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:35
Side 2 of the awesome 1978 eponymous release by Floridian band BABYLON has that "Epping Forest" feel. Both "Dreamfish" and "Cathedral of Mary Ruin."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD67vpWaHbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQLXqIohE0

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 09:36
Harold the Barrel might fit the mold too!
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 10:34
Thanks all for your replies, I already known the Genesis stuff but not the Babylon one.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 10:53
No songs are really like Battle of Eping Forrest its unique in scope and imagery. Its erratoc pace and aim for detail.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 13:54
The Colony of Slippermen should also be mentioned, though it is just a part of a greater story.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 15:26
Fox Hill - By Camel, like nothing they’ve ever done, seemed weird to me at first but it’s clicked and it’s one of my favorite tracks
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 19:59
sometimes think Jethro Tull songs remind me of Epping---especially Thick as a Brick.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 01:31
All I can think of is other Genesis songs written by Peter Gabriel, and they've all already been listed, so here's a cool pic of Peter Gabriel instead:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 11:21
Cool pic!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 11:23
I can't understand why their weren't any band that would imitate that style... I only know a French band which was very influenced by Genesis (they do the same music but with lesser quality and its in French).
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 11:24
I've Never given much consideration to this, and the suggestions are quite intriguing, so thank you all.   
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 13:19
Marillion and Big Big Train are known for being very Genesis-inspired, maybe check out some of their stuff. I'm not too familiar with either band personally, but I'm a fan of this BBT song for its Genesis-esque vibe:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 13:44
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Marillion and Big Big Train are known for being very Genesis-inspired,
maybe check out some of their stuff. I'm not too familiar with either
band personally, but I'm a fan of this BBT song for its Genesis-esque
vibe:

I'll give it a listen!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 00:51
Big Big Train are a good shout if you are looking for very 'English traditional prog' . They write a lot of songs about the industrial age and interesting (eccentric?!) characters that are part of our history.

If its just story telling then I would like to recommend Al Stewarts album Past Present and Future . This is nothing like the Alan Parsons produced Year Of The Cat. Stewart was expanding his song writing at this point in 1975. The track Roads To Moscow is an absolute joy if you like imagery and a story. Has been considered for inclusion to prog folk before but AS never really did another album like it sadly.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 06:36
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

sometimes think Jethro Tull songs remind me of Epping---especially Thick as a Brick.

I was thinking that, too. Probably A Passion Play even more.
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 06:50
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 07:11
I'm not much interested in lyrics so these may not fit what you want in terms of storytelling, however their handling of melodies and vocals has some Epping Forest vibe at times, with some ska and punk thrown in, so if you're up for something a bit more outlandish...

This is from Cardiacs-Keyboarder William D. Drake. He is no Peter Gabriel though. Very short but quite a bit thrown in.

ColinCool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinCool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 12:22
What about Une Nuit A Paris (One Night In Paris) by 10cc? It sort of fits the bill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>