Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is prog opposed to the idea of hit songs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 14:15
It's always so hard to tell what he means amongst all the bilious gas. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 17:39
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

And too many of the folks here don't care and try to shoot blanks into a fart!

That's admittedly something I've never tried before. With the naked eye or the telescope, usually they appear invisible making it difficult to shoot them. If the pants are baggy enough, they might puff out upon the release of a fart. You could time your shot this way, but how would you be certain you actually hit the fart? If the anus is pivoted in a different direction, that fart might not have travelled from the fartee on a 90 degree angle. It may have been more oblique. And let's not forget that there is a human on the other end of that fart and if your aim is off, a derrière might be in a lot of pain.

One of the better solutions for shooting a fart might be to use infrared vision and a scope. This should alleviate the inaccuracy of an oblique fart.

Just a thought.

Once in minus 18 degree Celsius weather I was waiting outside for a train and saw an attractive woman wearing black tights and a short fluffy jacket talking to some bloke. Her butt was facing at an angle toward me (and yes I was occasionally glancing at it), then suddenly, due to the black background of her tights, I saw a grey puff cloud appear that looked like she suddenly sprouted what looked like a grey fox tail, then it immediately dispersed. This happened while she kept cheerfully talking to the guy, and of course he couldn't see that quick burst of gaseous release. Super cold weather can bring out the truth!

So technically I could have fired a blank from a pistol at the fox tail (and gotten arrested afterwards), though the pistol would've needed to be within the actual fox tail next to her butt when fired for the blank to be shot "into" the fart.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:06
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

And too many of the folks here don't care and try to shoot blanks into a fart!

That's admittedly something I've never tried before. With the naked eye or the telescope, usually they appear invisible making it difficult to shoot them. If the pants are baggy enough, they might puff out upon the release of a fart. You could time your shot this way, but how would you be certain you actually hit the fart? If the anus is pivoted in a different direction, that fart might not have travelled from the fartee on a 90 degree angle. It may have been more oblique. And let's not forget that there is a human on the other end of that fart and if your aim is off, a derrière might be in a lot of pain.

One of the better solutions for shooting a fart might be to use infrared vision and a scope. This should alleviate the inaccuracy of an oblique fart.

Just a thought.

Once in minus 18 degree Celsius weather I was waiting outside for a train and saw an attractive woman wearing black tights and a short fluffy jacket talking to some bloke. Her butt was facing at an angle toward me (and yes I was occasionally glancing at it), then suddenly, due to the black background of her tights, I saw a grey puff cloud appear that looked like she suddenly sprouted what looked like a grey fox tail, then it immediately dispersed. This happened while she kept cheerfully talking to the guy, and of course he couldn't see that quick burst of gaseous release. Super cold weather can bring out the truth!

So technically I could have fired a blank from a pistol at the fox tail (and gotten arrested afterwards), though the pistol would've needed to be within the actual fox tail next to her butt when fired for the blank to be shot "into" the fart.

You may have just inspired a new Peter Gabriel track; "Fox Pop"! LOL

"Twas a night by the tracks, and the girl with the ass, so sexy and fast, most certainly did pass gas!"

Also, nothing like a slim , trim yoga booty for the win. For real though. My weakness lol.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It's always so hard to tell what he means amongst all the bilious gas. 

Even though I usually vehemently disagree with what Mosh says, I'd be lying if I said I also didn't understand his position most of the time. I've argued that he comes across almost schizo/bipolar in his posts; almost on the spectrum (not in a judgmental way based on his choice of lengthy prose and articulated positions). I actually think he provides great context and balance for some of the more complacent attitudes here; a sh*t-stirrer in a good way. I have respect for Moshkito because he withstands our barrage of questioning, and he keeps plugging along, for better or worse. I can't disrespect that, even if he's a bit bonkers (which, again, I think is a net positive in the long run).

I got into a little tiff with Moshkito in another thread, and yes, he can be difficult; waxing and waning (admittedly very, vert interesting) perspectives on art, etc. I think where he loses us is, where we all get lost, attempting to debate or argue the intention of the artist. This is where sh*t gets very subjective, and I think that's where this thread is unfortunately trending; infinitely reducible arguments with no closure.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:26
Not the days when it was possible to have prog music in the top 40...  Alas I fear pop music will just continue to become more boring and unadventurous.  And I as I always Genesis Misunderstanding was some kind of mistake... WinkTongueWink  

To answer paganinio's question - the top 40 cannot help but take a song out of context.  That is the nature of the beast.  What is can do is lead the smarter people to want to check out the whole album and then we can lure people to our silly cult. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 10 2019 at 13:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:36

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Prog is music
Music is art
Art is subjective
There is no right and wrong. 

But, but, what of site admins destroying the prog?? What of it????

I'm not totally sure that ALL music is "art". It's like saying that every book makes "literature" and and so on, just because it told you a story about a dog licking some water in the gutter by your house!

Art is only SUBJECTIVE, from the artist's perception, because there is no right or wrong when he/she is doing it ... in many cases, it is what you see, and you might not like it, and this is there you decision is a problem ... your choice is not (usually) objective ... it is more often then not perceived through the lens that make up your constitution. And that makes it subjective, however, in of itself, and has little to do with the piece of art ... this has more to do with your own vision and understanding, and you are confusing the two ... they are NOT the same thing.

Right or Wrong, is one of the worst ideas used everywhere ... there is no right or wrong, except one's choices, of course, when they will immediately stand up for their GOD and deny anyone else's ... even if it were the same feeling and idea ... in different words, just to give you an idea of a right/wrong gone totally berserk and out of order!

A piece of art, has no life of its own, thus is can not be objective or subjective ... what comes out of it, is what we animate to make it objective or subjective ... and that has to do with our own way of seeing things and representing them. You could have learned a lot about this in the 60's when Andy Warhol was giving you some pictures, that challenged your idea of what "art" was and if it was either subjective or objective ... again, that result had to do with your perception ... and nothing to do with a can of soup, or a picture of dearest Marilyn ... well, I suppose that we could fantasize some but that would be on us, not the picture! Same with the Playboy fold outs when we were kids ... and going wow ... that's far out!

"Hit songs" is something that arose out of the media for the purposes of selling ... there is no more subjective idea in commercial advertising to subvert your thoughts and ideas ... and most folks, that are not aware of the mechanisms behind the commercial ideas, will usually fall into this trap ... but few of those folks will EVER admit that they got suckered into it.

I'm not opposed to "hit songs" and there are many I love dearly and have in my collection, however, in the history of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, hits is not what the music was about, even if one or two pieces did really well and helped the band ... but heck ... YES was not known as "progressive" anything when ROUNDABOUT got out and FM radio in America played it to death. It was a great song, no doubt. And the band deserved the attention!

I recommend that you study your relationship to the arts ... and separate the art itself from yourself ... while the idea of what you posted is OK, in the end, it is not exactly clear what you are saying and in most cases you are confusing the issue ... specially what is you and what is the art "over there". We learn this FAST AND FURIOUS in theater and film ... but only in a rock music board will someone say things like that and think they are right! And then try to use it to prove someone else is wrong! That is soooooooooooooooo PA, it's sad!

BA(Hons) English and History, 1994 with Philosophy
43 years playing music

Arts based degree, relevant music experience. That's "experience" and not "opinion". Opinions are worth jack sh*t.

Thanks for recommending I study something, Mosh, already done it.

Incidentally, amidst all the waffle, a lot of your reply is actually agreeing with what I said, but you seem to not bother actually thinking about posts and formulating a thoughtful reply to them as it's easier to shout everyone down and insist that you're right. Even though you seem to be unsure what you're right about. God only knows. 

If you're convinced that the admins are "destroying prog" here, I'm quite happy to show you how to set up your own forum. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:41
In reply to Prog Sothoth - 
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wonderful. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 03:44
What ruins forums is not admins. It's more when one of two users (possibly myself included ! ;-) ) don't get banned.

Having nothing better to do with their lives, they log in and post long, rambling and tedious threads about their own opinions, which they believe to be utterly right, and then shout everyone down. 

"Lack of manners".

It eventually makes threads utterly boring (at best) for everyone, and the offending poster doesn't realise that everyone is just ignoring them, as the forum lacks a block button. 

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 05:06

while the idea of what you posted is OK, in the end, it is not exactly clear what you are saying

Oh the irony.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 05:53
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

You may have just inspired a new Peter Gabriel track; "Fox Pop"! LOL

"Twas a night by the tracks, and the girl with the ass, so sexy and fast, most certainly did pass gas!"

Also, nothing like a slim , trim yoga booty for the win. For real though. My weakness lol.
Nice!!LOL
I know, brings new meaning to "Trick of the Tail".Tongue

80's-90's Phil Collins version:
"You and your fox tail, your aroma is what I need
You and your fox tail, is the air in which I breathe"

And yeah, yoga buns. My morning yoga routine doesn't veer much from sitting in my recliner drinking coffee while watching 'Yoga With Adriene' videos on YouTube.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 06:17

I recommend that you study your relationship to the arts ... and separate the art itself from yourself ... while the idea of what you posted is OK, in the end, it is not exactly clear what you are saying and in most cases you are confusing the issue ... specially what is you and what is the art "over there". We learn this FAST AND FURIOUS in theater and film ... but only in a rock music board will someone say things like that and think they are right! And then try to use it to prove someone else is wrong! That is soooooooooooooooo PA, it's sad!

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

BA(Hons) English and History, 1994 with Philosophy
43 years playing music

Arts based degree, relevant music experience. That's "experience" and not "opinion". Opinions are worth jack sh*t.

Thanks for recommending I study something, Mosh, already done it. 

Incidentally, amidst all the waffle, a lot of your reply is actually agreeing with what I said, but you seem to not bother actually thinking about posts and formulating a thoughtful reply to them as it's easier to shout everyone down and insist that you're right. Even though you seem to be unsure what you're right about. God only knows. 

If you're convinced that the admins are "destroying prog" here, I'm quite happy to show you how to set up your own forum. 

God I love this place ClapLOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

while the idea of what you posted is OK, in the end, it is not exactly clear what you are saying

Oh the irony.

I laughed my head off at that. Thanks. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:25
Perhaps slightly off topic, but, in extreme cold conditions, could a fart condense solid, fall to the ground and shatter ???? 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:40
What I really find funny is somebody who goes on and on about "the arts" (as if he was the only one who knew about them), but at the same time does not recognize a reference to the Futurist Manifesto - believing it is something related to contemporary politics. FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto_of_Futurism
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:43
To perhaps return more to the thread.....

(1) what is this thread on about ? "Is prog...." Prog what ? Prog fans ? Prog music ? What ? 

Prog isn't an entity. It's a musical artform. Prog fans tend to listen to it, non prog fans occasionally dip in and are more likely to listen to a "hit". That's......

(2) because it's subjective.... music and listener and.....

(3) does it actually matter ? Music is for listening to and not endlessly dissecting. Also

(4) for every argument, there is a counter argument... ie. someone says well, this was "more pop music" and someone else comes up with a counter argument. It proves nothing and 

(5) does it need proving anyway ? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:45
Thanks, Raff, I love it when someone mentions the Futurist Manifesto. ;-)

That's what I really do like about PA. There is a massive amount of knowledge here. If I was in a bar with a lot of you, I'm sure we'd all have a great night. ;-)

The internet doesn't seem to work that way for certain people, though.  

Off this way, electronics to build in the garage, back in probably a few months. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - August 10 2019 at 09:47

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 10:44
The biggest problem I have with these sort of discussions is that they tend to end up in barricades and strongholds - each of them trying to herald and vindicate the type of music prefered in said camp.
A pop song (hit) can send shivers down my spine and effectively open up a door to the universe. A Day In The Life still does that.
A prog piece can be dreary and completely bereft of zing - effectively conjuring up the same type of conformity most prog fans attribute to pop.
I love all kinds of music as long as there’s fire and ooomphh in there.

Building walls between different styles of music is like making warfare between groceries and we all remember the horrific end to the strawberry-bacon feud not too long ago. Let’s not go down that road. Music is supposed to be different like Janice once said.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 10 2019 at 10:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 11:39
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

Hit Songs, is what "progressive music" was against.

I don't think this is correct. The original spark of Progressive Rock was about how inadequate and unsatisfying hit songs were. Then listeners and musicians alike discover there is more beyond that, but this doesn't falsify the motive of shaping the quality of hit material.

The "hit song" thing is not the issue ... it's the content.

and later...

I'm not opposed to "hit songs" and there are many I love dearly and have in my collection, however, in the history of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, hits is not what the music was about, even if one or two pieces did really well and helped the band ... but heck ... YES was not known as "progressive" anything when ROUNDABOUT got out and FM radio in America played it to death. It was a great song, no doubt. And the band deserved the attention!

These are important equivocations, and they are better answers in my view than simply the idea that hit songs are what Prog was against (And also a logical problem in your accusation toward the PA Admin(s), BTW).

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 20:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The biggest problem I have with these sort of discussions is that they tend to end up in barricades and strongholds - each of them trying to herald and vindicate the type of music prefered in said camp.
A pop song (hit) can send shivers down my spine and effectively open up a door to the universe. A Day In The Life still does that.
A prog piece can be dreary and completely bereft of zing - effectively conjuring up the same type of conformity most prog fans attribute to pop.
I love all kinds of music as long as there’s fire and ooomphh in there.

Building walls between different styles of music is like making warfare between groceries and we all remember the horrific end to the strawberry-bacon feud not too long ago. Let’s not go down that road. Music is supposed to be different like Janice once said.

Nice to see you after a very long time.  And I completely agree.  Try telling the millions who ONLY heard ABTW or Comfortably Numb on radio or MTV that the songs don't work without the context of the album and they would heartily disagree.  By the way, this argument is so antiquated in an age where streaming and youtube are the major ways in which music is listened to (while the LP is becoming a rather yuuge cottage industry again).  As I said in another thread, PA is sort of in a time warp bubble where nobody talks about the elephant in the room.  That without creating some viable revenue streams, the music industry is only going to survive in the form of two extremes - one, the big bad label produced pop and two, the bedroom artists who can no longer find live music venues they can afford or raise money to produce albums that nobody other than the campaign contributors will buy.  It little matters now who is opposed or agreeable to what and we ought to rather celebrate all the good music we can get and cherish it.

Edited by rogerthat - August 10 2019 at 20:43
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 20:43
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I don't think this is correct. The original spark of Progressive Rock was about how inadequate and unsatisfying hit songs were. Then listeners and musicians alike discover there is more beyond that, but this doesn't falsify the motive of shaping the quality of hit material.

The "hit song" thing is not the issue ... it's the content.

and later...

These are important equivocations, and they are better answers in my view than simply the idea that hit songs are what Prog was against (And also a logical problem in your accusation toward the PA Admin(s), BTW).

To build on this post, hit song and prog aren't necessarily sworn enemies so much as serving different artistic and audience needs.  When some of the prog guys began to try to write 'commercial' stuff in the late 70s or 80s, they found it more challenging than they perhaps expected it to be.  Because standing out in a four minute length, by the same token, is really hard.  That is also why pop is also prone to jumping the shark in desperation to grab eyeballs.  But the best pop music out there is also a product of songwriting brilliance that can sometimes be beyond the grasp of prog artists who get used to working with very complicated motifs that cannot be easily assimilated. Besides, jumping the shark isn't the sole preserve of pop.  What were Emerson's stunts or Gabriel's initial experiments with masks (before he started seeing costumes as a way to supplement the narrative) but a way to capture the attention of the audience.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 21:52

I don't think I expressed this correctly ... this line needed to be clearer and I missed it on re-reading it.

"Progressive Music" did not get labeled and discussed as such until later, however, we have created a line that includes albums that kinda predated the large wave of "Progressive" materials. It was not quite against it, however, a lot of the material out there that we have called "Progressive" in the really early days, was not meant to be "Progressive" and more than likely NOT DESIGNED to be so. The perfect example is King Crimson's first album, which is a major socio/political album. Even RF has said so ... but in a thread here, way back when, many fans trashed RF, instead! What ELP had done in the early days was probably more inspired by classical music, than any ideas we have of "Progressive" ... maybe even PAAE which was late 1971. Or even worse, that Italian guy interviewing Gary Green and TELLING HIM what was "Progressive Music" and that GENTLE GIANT went away from it ... to which he said ... we didn't write anything ... we just played ....

And my thoughts still are ... we're afraid of improvisation and free form ... which is the "origin" of "Progressive Music" (so to speak) compared to the nature of "songs" which is not free form or improvised, though it may have gotten its start that way!

It's not really meant to be an accusation and it is written with a bit of sarcasm, if you will. However, the truth is that many of the so-called "Collaborators" and "Admins", have a tendency to post ways to destroy the conversation and sidetrack the thread many times, also taking stuff I said and twisting it.

I understand the methodology of "management", as I did manage two restaurants for a long time ... and dumping employees would have put me on the training mode a lot, and I would not be able to move forward, instead of spending money in training new folks.

But, the collective, in PA, in general, and it's an observation, will post more on "hits" and "top ten" discussions than they will anything else, and the sad thing is, they don't even try to say ... I disagree ... LIKE YOU DID ( I appreciate that!) ... but instead ... it's not worth the discussion this whole thing ... because I do not see that many/some of the folks over there, will listen to someone/anyone ... saying something in here, sometimes, is the saddest thing ever ... because all you get is a "commercial" or what the Chinese used to call "Industrial" answer (Isaac Stern goes to China) ... and it is specially so when they do not want to hear/see that a comparison is showing something they wish not to hear or see.

It's fear of the unknown. It's fear of new music. It's fear of something unusual that you can not define ... and it's been the history of the arts for centuries ... except in one board, where a top ten is more important than the music itself ... and discussing HITS is way more important than the music itself or worse ... than the artist himself/herself.

Folks here are discussing hits they like ... not the music itself. There is a huge difference in my book! I don't even try to do that ... 

Edited by moshkito - August 10 2019 at 21:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>