Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Eclectic Mouse for Eclectic or Jazz Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Eclectic Mouse for Eclectic or Jazz Rock?
    Posted: August 07 2019 at 14:11
This is a Psych-Sympho-Jazz Rock band form 1969 called The Eclectic Mouse formed by Steve Forman.
They released one beautiful album in 1969 - "Everything I've Got" which was an amazing 6-movements symphonic jazz rock suit they performed in number of West Coast US cities. 
I think this band deserves to be in PA. 
Not sure if it is to be a Symphonic, Jazz Rock, or Eclectic genre, though.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Eclectic-Mouse-Everything-Ive-Got/release/2768054

You can listen to this album here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQ4TjfboiI&list=PLaxF0X40F65g0vMAQ9FdXC-rHJ_Ax8PfS&index=1

A11st Movement: Everything I've Got Belongs To You8:55
A22nd Movement: Where Do The Hounds Go?3:17
A33rd Movement: Trialogue I, II, III7:25
B14th Movement: Discovery4:10
B25th Movement: Pre-Dawn Retrospective Chant6:40
B36th Movement: Spirit Singing3:55
vadthebad View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 08:35
Could be a Proto Prog, as well.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 08:47
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure it's really suitable for eclectic or JRF. If it's at all eligible for the site perhaps proto-prog is the best place for it. It's listed elsewhere as jazz rock and progressive pop.

Can any admins chime in on this one?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 14:20
I think its worth running by the team. It has a very unusual cinematic character to it and some subtly complex passages.
vadthebad View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 13:49
Hi guys,
Are you still thinking about it?
Thanks!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 18:09
Eclectic is giving it a whirl.

vadthebad View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 08:55
bump.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 12:58
If a suggestion has been picked up for a team, please be patient and give them plenty of time before considering bumping your topics (we are all volunteers here), it has not been forgotten since TCat posted some weeks ago. In fact Eclectic Prog evaluated it, then passed it on to JRF. JRF has been looking into it, and it's thought that it may be more like Proto-Prog (but getting into Proto-Prog requires a more detailed and different process and so that must also be taken into consideration). To me it's rather on the Proto-JRF-Crossover Prog side as it has a progressive pop element, but that was my impression. I did enjoy the music.

Ones where multiple teams look into music generally take longer to process (obviously, as it gets passed on, though very occasionally evaluations happen concurrently in different teams and then they have to decide between them) as do suggestions where there is any question of best placement.

If any impatience is due to you not thinking that you will have time later on to write the bio and generally prepare the addition, and want to get down to that ASAP, then you might mention that, but it still is not likely to speed up the process.

Edited by Logan - August 28 2019 at 13:04
Just a fanboy passin' through.
vadthebad View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 19:59
Logan,

Thanks for the detailed answer. I really appreciate it. At least I know where the evaluation is now and what it takes to do it.
I am sorry for being "bumping", I just wanted to know.
Thanks again.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 20:43
No worries, and sorry for coming across as harsh. It can be frustrating as evaluations can take a very long time, especially when they get bounced from team to team and it's not really clear where it should go. I wish PA itself had a dynamic voting chart so that people could see what's happening with suggestions and it was easy to move from one category to another and sort by date of suggestion. We have various staff who are on various teams which means they have more to evaluate, but that can also have an advantage if it's moved to another team that they are on, then they know the music already and it makes for an easy vote form them the second voting time around.

As for Proto-Prog, since Silly Puppy asked, this is the classic way that it works CLICK

If it's brought to us with a compelling case for inclusion, the arguments seem sound and sufficient, and it has plenty of forum support, then it should be an easier process. That said, we have been researching and evaluating the music itself (an admin used to tell me that it's the arguments and support that count the most). Still, the general principle is that we check music out once a Special Collaborator or Prog team has presented or passed a case to us. I think it generally is better for such music to go through Prog teams first as there are more criteria to consider in a PP addition, and those additions are considered exceptional (helps when those musicians went on to bands/ projects in Prog categories, just as it helps in Prog Related if those musicians were involved in Prog projects). If the team can't stretch to accommodate the act, but have good reason to support it for Proto-Prog, then it goes through us (not necessarily, but that is common). Musically, I can say that I think this would fit Proto-Prog for me, but then I'd want to know more about the prog relations, any specific influence on Prog, and how it fits into a progressive rock history before making a decision, then the PP/PR group would all have to agree to the addition as Proto-Prog (or Prog-Related depending on the case), and Proto-Prog as well as Prog-Related is designed (has barriers) to limit the number of acts (both can be really tough categories to get into -- I still have one for Prog Related that I've been working towards for a decade, and there are various additions that I've supported in my time here that didn't make it, or I gave up on as it seemed too much effort to make an overwhelmingly compelling case). I used to say Prog or bust because it has been so rare and so much work to get acts through the "non-Prog" categories. There's often the potential for a lot of grief when an act is added to Prog-Related or Proto-Prog (though that is more likely in the best known ones, of course), and so one would want the case to be as compelling and detailed as possible.

With Proto-Prog and Prog Related additions, one can expect those to occur quite rarely and to have a longer and more involved process than with other categories.

I wanted to write short, but when I lack sleep, which is most of the time, brevity becomes harder. Excuses, excuses... ;)

Edited by Logan - August 28 2019 at 21:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 21:12
^ relation to modern prog? Well, EVERY SINGLE PROG ARTIST EVER SINCE WAS INFLUENCED BY THE ECLECTIC MOUSE LOL

OK, i made that up. I dunno, was Bakerloo that influential? I thought it was just that they fit the time period and weren't quite prog enough for prime time.

So Vad, looks like they will most likely be here somewhere so hold your vaddy baddy horsies and things will churn on via PA time. Remember we're all volunteers and sometimes we come home cranky and ready to either 1) drink until we pass out or 2) commit grave injuries to others. Luckily i usually avoid these but neverthless don't have time to tend to duties here. I suspect others are even busier than i so patience is the 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
vadthebad View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadthebad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 19:00
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I thought it was just that they fit the time period and weren't quite prog enough for prime time.

I agree. 
Being "proggy" enough then, i.e. more than the most of the regular rock bands at the time (in the late 60s), But not "proggy" enough for the prime time (in the early 70s).
I think it's a perfect match to the proto nation. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 10:40
 Post Reply Post Reply