Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PF Live at Pompeii - Favorite video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite video from Live at Pompeii?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [11.11%]
3 [11.11%]
5 [18.52%]
2 [7.41%]
10 [37.04%]
2 [7.41%]
2 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PF Live at Pompeii - Favorite video
    Posted: August 09 2019 at 02:15
Which is your favorite video clip from Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii?

Mine is Careful with That Axe, Eugene, which is IMHO the song's best interpretation, with Roger's bass crescendo, scream, the volcano eruption...

I'm of course talking about the original video clips, not the "remastered" with the crappy 3D effects.

For those who don't know:

Edited by Modrigue - August 09 2019 at 03:20
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 02:36
ASOS

Edited by Man With Hat - August 09 2019 at 02:36
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 03:00
Difficult to vote coz I love them all, except for Nobs.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 04:23
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun because it is the best version. I have a soft spot for Mlle Nobs, but that's just the fun part.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 04:37
They're all great but if I have to choose one it's Set the Controls.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 08:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

They're all great but if I have to choose one it's Set the Controls.
I second this.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 08:32
Echoes 1

The slow zooming intro, the light man...you can almost feel the heat.

Just perfect.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 18:01
Pompeii is one of the best things Pink Floyd ever did and will always stay with me. 
My vote for Careful with that axe, Eugene!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 19:36
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, my favourite version of this song.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2019 at 22:46
Hi,

I WILL NOT SPLIT UP THE MOVIE ... which was a complete experience, exactly as their concerts at the time, before the DSOTM time, that changed the atmosphere and the experience into something else, including horrible fans that should not have been there! By DSOTM, the amount of dope that was showing up at PF shows was so bad that even Roger complained about it many times, and that might have been one of the reasons for the outside shows as opposed to inside. The LA Sports Arena, was a total unbelievable mess of smoke and smell that was sick to the core! It didn't even have anything to do with being stoned ... it had to do with the ridiculous amount of it all ... and how it was affecting the audience and the performers. There was a reason why 714 people got busted during those shows before they could even get inside the place!

I saw PF during those days, before DSOTM and its presentation was unique and special ... they were using, at the time what was advertised as QUADRAPHONIC SOUND, and it meant that there were speakers that were FULLY USED in all 4 corners of the venue ... and just like the film has bits and pieces in between the songs, so DID THEIR CONCERT, which added an atmosphere that was different than just going to a concert ... with music all around you, you got to feel like ... you were there, in reality, in stead of the band up front creating what I call the "makebelief" feeling that it was an event ... PF shows in those early days WERE AN EVENT, already before they developed it further into DSOTM. 

Sadly, this is something that the band history and fans do not discuss, because not that many (compared to later) got to see these far out shows.

Later, PF developed these bits in between better and used them to promote a story, and you kinda got one in DSOTM, a sort of B movie I like to say, but it was a great introduction to what they eventually did on THE WALL, which was a complete story with the visuals ... whereas before the visuals were not, quite yet, the complete story.

Because I got to see all this, separating the bits in the film into "songs", does not make sense to me, and I do not have a preference, since the whole film is so dear to my mind and imagination, and I really think that this question is a very sad reflection of how people will remember PF and what at the time, was not really just a bunch of songs ... it was AN EXPERIENCE ... and it is quite obvious to me, that most people never really experienced the real thing ... only the cardboard stuff later, specially in Roger's hands! 

But compared to the beauty, light show and sound show at the time, the whole experience was not about "songs" ... it was ... let's take a trip and love it ... and you can tell that a lot of folks here do not (or had no idea) what that meant in those days, compared to today ... there is no comparison ... !!!

BTW, if the bootlegs are/were right, there were at least 10 different versions of Set The Controls For The heart Of The Sun (none with major differences I don't think!), and I think they extended different versions on different nights for which/whatever reason they felt like it ... there are many ... many ... very far out versions of it!

Edited by moshkito - August 09 2019 at 22:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 01:12
Great film. Especially love the overheard shots of Nick Mason going round the kit. I will dig this out and watch later.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Great film. Especially love the overheard shots of Nick Mason going round the kit. I will dig this out and watch later.

Just remember to watch it and think that this is all around you, including the music while the concert is happening. The visuals, even though some are from later, take on a different dimension ... though some comments and stuff added later (like DG talking about them getting stoned), is probably just an addon to add fuel to the music and the live shows. In those days, a lot of music was divided between "stoned" and "straight", and I can count the "straight" shows I went to in one finger!

The whole thing works better in one piece. But then I never looked at PF's music as just a bunch of songs, or hits, either ... when you experience them, in this case "first hand", your opinion tends to change ... and this is the part that many folks here will say I don't know what I am talking about, since they can't imagine it! 

Or feel it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 07:50
I think after listening to Manfred Mann's Earthband's "Watch" in my father's car and watching "Yellow Submarine",  watching PF in Pompeji in cinema was the third really big thing to make me a music/prog fan and a hobby musician. It hasn't aged to this day. I asked for the video as a birthday present 1980 or so but videos were crazily expensive at the time. I think it was about 100 DM (meaning 50 Euros), who knows what that would be today taking into account inflation! My parents thought it's a bad idea to spend that much on a video, so I didn't get it and I had to wait a long time to watch it again.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:37
Interesting poll. I'll go with 'Sun.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Which is your favorite video clip from Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii?

Mine is Careful with That Axe, Eugene, which is IMHO the song's best interpretation, with Roger's bass crescendo, scream, the volcano eruption...

I'm of course talking about the original video clips, not the "remastered" with the crappy 3D effects.

For those who don't know:

Same hereClap. In my view, that performance is the film's highpoint.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 11:36
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

I finally wernt for Control, but strongly hesitated between Axe (even despite the cheap burning film special effect) and Days (fantasdtic to see Mason lose a drum stick and get a new one without missing a single beat)

Both Controls and Axe have never been better than in the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 01:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just remember to watch it and think that this is all around you, including the music while the concert is happening. The visuals, even though some are from later, take on a different dimension ... though some comments and stuff added later (like DG talking about them getting stoned), is probably just an addon to add fuel to the music and the live shows. In those days, a lot of music was divided between "stoned" and "straight", and I can count the "straight" shows I went to in one finger!

The whole thing works better in one piece. But then I never looked at PF's music as just a bunch of songs, or hits, either ... when you experience them, in this case "first hand", your opinion tends to change ... and this is the part that many folks here will say I don't know what I am talking about, since they can't imagine it! 

Or feel it!

I watched the 'directors cut' from about 2001 which had the extra material and also the interview with the director which is interesting. 
I do love this film and the director explains why he avoided doing the usual concert thing when it's just about the audience reaction. I wish there were more of these type of films although apparently he was asked to do another one and was pitched 'Moody Blues in The Grand Canyon' but naturally declined. It was an idea specifically for Floyd and it worked brilliantly. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 07:06
nice... got to give it out to Heart of the Sun. Even more so than Careful with thy Axe.. the visuals just add SO SO much to the listening experience.

come to think of it...  this film should be tagged with a warning label.. excessive viewing can lead to killing off of brain cells and made illegal by the Feds..  and legal only in blue states hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 06:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I think after listening to Manfred Mann's Earthband's "Watch" in my father's car and watching "Yellow Submarine",  watching PF in Pompeji in cinema was the third really big thing to make me a music/prog fan and a hobby musician. It hasn't aged to this day. I asked for the video as a birthday present 1980 or so but videos were crazily expensive at the time. I think it was about 100 DM (meaning 50 Euros), who knows what that would be today taking into account inflation! My parents thought it's a bad idea to spend that much on a video, so I didn't get it and I had to wait a long time to watch it again.

Same ... saw Pompeii the first time on the BIG SCREEN with the theater augmenting the sound of the film to be closer to the actual experiences that PF was known for at the time.

It's a shame, that fans and folks, today, do not know how far out and neat the QUAD systems were and how great the music sounded going all around you, taking you with it ... the sounds of the wind that started just before the first note in ONE OF THESE DAYS, was the start of the concert and that "wind" was moving around the Hollywood Bowl for at least 5 to 10 minutes before it slowly got louder and then gave us the first note ... it was, to say the least, a far out and impressive start! But, if you don't "feel" it, this is hard to appreciate ... is what I'm thinking.

And this is what I mean "experience" which was what PF was all about in the early days, and the effects were the pieces that introduced the songs ... and it's a shame that you can not find decent videos of those performances, although I saw one, but the sound effects between the songs was edited out ... the saddest thing I ever saw ... since the "sound effects" became the "story" almost 10 years later and such!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 07:30
Yup, Pompeii was pure magic in terms of images joining the music
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same ... saw Pompeii the first time on the BIG SCREEN with the theater augmenting the sound of the film to be closer to the actual experiences that PF was known for at the time.

I saw most of these 70's rock film on the big screens in Toronto

There were a couple of local independent movie houses (usually only one screen) that were built in the 20/30's and were in danger of being demolished if they didn't have a different agenda proposition (second run films during afternoon, Arts & Essay in the early evening and rock film on the "midnight screenings"). these screenings went on until the mid-80's , when most of those Uni kids graduated and found serious jobs

I must've seen most of anywhere between 5 and 10 times: Woodstock, Monterrey, Pompeii, The Wall, Song Remains the same, Rust Never Sleeps, etc...
Some of those that only once seen was enough: Last Waltz, Rocky Horror, Irish Tour and a few more as well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>