Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

And Then There Were Three vs Tormato

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [52.50%]
22 [27.50%]
8 [10.00%]
8 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 00:50
Originally posted by vidcom vidcom wrote:

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4">And Then There Were Three - no doubt!  I met the three the day after their show in <span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;">San Diego back in 1978 and in response to what in retrospect was a bit of a dubious question on my part, they all took the company line and replied that their then current release</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;"> </span><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4">was the finest of the bands career to date.  They were trying to sell records, at a record store after all so I can't blame them for the less than realistic reply.
I saw the <b style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;">Tormoto<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"> tour by Yes that year as well, maybe it was 1979 "In The Round"; it was fairly bleak - a fitting reflection of that disastrous offering and year for Prog Rock fans, but of the two albums I still occasionally listen to And Then There Were Three.

Banks and Collins both said that about Invisible Touch too. Years later Banks changed his mind. I knew at the time it was not possible that the composer of One for the Vine, would rank Invisible touch over previous classic albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:52
Outside of a few tunes, And Then There Were Three was a general misfire. The same can not so much be said of Tomato, and the musicianship is much fuller.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 11:30
Song for all Seasons
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Song for all Seasons

Ha ha. Well, if I added that I would have to add breathless, giant for a day, hemispheres, heavy horses, love beach, octave, and on and on.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:10
Genesis.
Far from my favorite, but a heck of a lot better than Tormato.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:28
Just on impulse I went for Genesis but Yes is a close second there.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 01:51
A favorite from Genesis is up against one of the worst from Yes. No brainier, Genesis
nataleynisso View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nataleynisso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 06:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like Scenes from a Nights Dream!

Anyway Genesis by a long way auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver
I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Edited by nataleynisso - August 23 2019 at 13:26
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 08:17
They're both decent records but the songs on ATTWT are better.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:55
Tormato Yes by some miles imho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:22
Love Beach, um, wrong band......And then there were three.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 11:47
bump!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 12:30
Yes, but then again, No. I'm undecided so I'll vote for Both Equally.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 26 2021 at 12:33
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 15:47
And Then There Were Three; one of my favorite Genesis albums; though I quite like Yes, Tormato doesn't really do it for me.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 18:32
Neither
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 18:58
Tormato no doubt, such an underrated album
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

they are about equal in my mind as they are my 2 fav bands and I enjoy both of them but just not as often as their other albums---and of course I find myself skipping songs--agree with Banks in a recent interview---he really missed Hackett on And then there were 3---he thought Steve could have really made something great with it. Very true.
Weren't they also missing Phil Collins at the time? Wasn't he going through a really messy divorce at the time and his head wasn't in a right place. I find ATTWT a bit like CAS. More or less Tony Banks/ Mike Rutherford song duo albums and neither work off each other very well.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:09
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Tormato no doubt, such an underrated album
Underrated to you. Underwhelming to me. To each his own.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 05:27
The album whose opening track the great Chester Thompson could not nail for them to perform it live.  Indicative of the gulf between the two bands that had opened up at that point.  I have a soft spot for it as well, going to Knebworth 78 aged 16, etc.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 10:10
I have over the 43 years I've had the ATTWT album I've come to really dislike it. It's an almost deranged hatred because at first I enjoyed s lot of it ( many too many, say its alright joe apart). I think I have heaped the blame for the pop output of Genesis wholly on this album.

Tomato I hated when I bought it all those years ago. I especially hated JA's kid at the end of circus of heaven and the protest song dont kill the whale ( of course I totally support the ban on whale killings but Ijust dont like protest songs). In fact I didnt like RW's synths.
Now i love Tormato and hate ATTWT. In fact I dragged my old vinyl copy of ATTWT out to see if it was a CD thing. Nope.
Tornado and John's kid all the way.

Edited by Earl of Mar - October 27 2021 at 10:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>