Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [57.14%]
27 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 10:16
No but i am a music snot

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 11:11
Nothing wrong with being a music snob as long you don't belong to a collusionnary system.

Can't stand it when those prissies are making their mockery in group against an indivudal...been a while I have seen it here though.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 14:11
I have a problem with most modern rap and most(at least 95 percent)of modern pop so I guess I'm a snob too. It's not that I hate all of it but I certainly won't go out of my way to listen to it. So I guess I am a music snob to some degree. However, the part I struggle with is that I don't think the music is inherently worse or inferior it's just a matter of taste. So with that in mind I won't vote since I guess my attitude is ultimately somewhere in between. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have a problem with most modern rap and most(at least 95 percent)of modern pop so I guess I'm a snob too. It's not that I hate all of it but I certainly won't go out of my way to listen to it. So I guess I am a music snob to some degree. However, the part I struggle with is that I don't think the music is inherently worse or inferior it's just a matter of taste. So with that in mind I won't vote since I guess my attitude is ultimately somewhere in between. 

d'accord. the biggest problem I have with rappers are however the lyrics. they consider themselves to be great rhymers but their rhymes are actually pathetic

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:55
Yes, just because it does rhyme, doesn't make it a good rhyme.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 18:13
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Did you just try to rhyme rhyme with rhyme?  Brilliant!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 18:26
Ha ha. I have a goat in a coat on a boat. I wonder if it will float. Maybe I should build a moat.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:01
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Did you just try to rhyme rhyme with rhyme?  Brilliant!

Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:02

Ha ha. I have a goat in a coat on a boat. I wonder if it will float. Maybe I should build a moat.

Cute Mike, I think it's going to be the next rap hit!  Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:15

Cute Mike, I think it's going to be the next rap hit!  Smile

I have actually written a rap or two. I'm not going to post them on here though. 

Prog rap. Now, there's a genre that hasn't happened yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:24
Wasn't there a discussion somewhere about if that was even possible?  I have heard a  band that was doing sort of Viking/Nordic/Germanic music (in pretty wild costumes), that then went into a rap....I actually thought it was pretty cool until they did that....kind of disconcerting...never looked up any more of that band after that.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:37
I don't know. There are lots of hybrid genres out there though. There was even a bluegrass band who were pretty proggy at one point called the Punch Brothers but I think they eventually went back to regular bluegrass.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 19:46
The Strawbs started as a bluegrass-inspired outfit....
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 22:13
Oh, yeah.

And damned proud of it, too.

lol

If I like it, it is good.

And, if I don't like it, it isn't.

Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:17
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

d'accord. the biggest problem I have with rappers are however the lyrics. they consider themselves to be great rhymers but their rhymes are actually pathetic

Agreed to a point, specially as some of the "hits" in rap are, for me, not that exciting, and the lyrics are not even entertaining ... and I'm not sure they were actually "written", and a lot of it may just be ad-lib which is fine with me, however you can tell by how many times these rhymes are "forced" ... and your and my appreciation for them kinda dies down quickly.

One of my favorite albums has some rap, and some different kind of rap ... grab a hold of Ryuichi Sakamoto's couple of albums ... Neo Geo has Iggy Pop almost doing rap, and sometimes simply speaking on the songs and it sounds really good. ... Heartbeat is a fantastic album and the title song is over the top and a fantastic thing that has singing and then rap on it ... and it works. Beauty is the 3rd album in the series and the rap in there is different and done with other folks, almost to the point that calling it "rap" is kinda crazy ... 

Europe, however, has a lot of folks that do rap, and it is very different than the American version which to my ears is very RAW and not cleaned up!

Not sure these thoughts fit in the "snob" area ... but what the heck!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:19

I don't know. There are lots of hybrid genres out there though. There was even a bluegrass band who were pretty proggy at one point called the Punch Brothers but I think they eventually went back to regular bluegrass.

"Skiffle" is C&W? 

I gotta re-read Cousins' book again ... it was a difficult one to review and describe and I was not sure I would be in the right path if I reviewed it ... it gave me a better perspective on the radio situation in England with the BBC than it did with his band!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Instinctively yes because I value music that has some sort of creative process and displays intelligence. I look down at pop music. However that is an intellectual stance.
I have always like some pop music. Abba- Dancing Queen is my guilty pleasure. I would never admit this in 'public' lol!

Have you seen the Australian Film ... "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"?

A must see, btw! Fun, fun!

Yes although a long time ago. I remember enjoying it for sure. Great cast! 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 00:22
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hi everyone,
My name is Jeff and I'm a recovering music snob. It's been 15 days since my last snobby thought. 

Seriously though, I was much more of a snob as a teenager. It wasn't that I was not interested in exploring new types of music but there were definitely some bands that I held in almost snobbish esteem. For instance, Iron Maiden was described as "thinking man's heavy metal." I latched on to that like gangbusters and looked down my nose at other metal bands for not being as "thinking man" in their approach to music LOL Pretty silly really. 

These days I'm much less snobbish. I look at music like I do food. There is so much out there to enjoy, taste and savor, why limit yourself? Oh sure, there are genres that I don't like much, such as Hip Hop, Country, and top 40 type Pop but even in those genres there will be a song every so often that I find okay. (Well, maybe not Country.)   

15 days? Maybe 15 seconds for me!

I would really like a country band to enjoy. I've just ordered an album by The Band Perry. I've heard a few songs by them and I actually like them! 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 04:19

Great band The Punch Brothers. I wouldn't say they've ever been "regular" bluegrass - they've even covered Radiohead songs. "Kid A" on the mandolin!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 06:55
Frankly, I never thought about it, and honestly, I don't really care. I like music, and the music I like and listen to is chosen by my personal taste. If that makes me a snob or not, Who cares?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>