Poll Question: Are you a music snob?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [57.14%]
27 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music Snob
    Posted: August 12 2019 at 14:58
Because you like music that is not spoon fed to you do you consider yourself a music snob?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:10
I am a music snob, yes.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:28
I'm not clear what a music snob is based on the OP's post.
How about a maybe vote..?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:35
Guilty as charged.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:39
Not at all. I find quality even in the pop songs. Desireless - Voyage Voyage is as important as the most complex progressive songs for me.

I may be snob in some ways, yet if you mean "progsnob", I'm far from it.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:42
Oh for sure. I don't even like prog.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:45
Not quite sure how to answer, but probably. I enjoy a wide variety of music that includes prog rock, but is not exclusive to prog rock. Everything from rock, to blues, to classical, to jazz, to schlocky lounge, big band, etc. But, I like what I like, and don't like what I don't like - probably makes me a snob...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:45
yep 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 15:45
No. I like a lot of different styles of music, and dislike a fair number.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:02
I was "spoon fed" with Europe - The Final Countdown, when I was very little. I still think it is one of the best songs ever written and performed (and also sound wise).

I was also "spoon fed" with Trio - Da Da Da. After I matured, I've been thinking that it is one of the biggest craps in history.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:02
I don't know if snobbishness should enter into consideration when it comes to one's individual tastes in music.

If you were to impose that taste on others by deriding music that they enjoy, i think that would be snobbish - but that's true of any kind of subjective enjoyment of art/media.

Taken to its extreme however, ideally no one should be imposing loud music on people in public spaces, because there will be at least some people who dislike it. This is especially egregious in the use of (bad) modern music in grocery stores. I'm hypersentive to sound, and music in particular, so in general i dislike stores playing music - even if it's music I don't actively dislike, because i would rather focus on my shopping undistracted.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:58
Yes, I have a masters degree in music theory and I like modern jazz and 20th century composers, and I won't take gigs that pay less than $100.00, although a real snob would demand more than that.

Edited by Easy Money - August 12 2019 at 17:00
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 16:59
I am not a music snob. I just happen to be right, and if you agree with me, you are also right. See how inclusive I am?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 17:39
Not even sure what that means anymore. I would say the opposite is true of the OP's premise. People who do not explore nything outside of what is spoon fed to them are the music snobs.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:14
I'm certainly snobby about some aspects of music. That being said, I don't dislike music for being too mainstream or simplistic, although I have particular opinions that tend to be negative towards certain trends in modern popular music.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:22
Only during the day.

Edited by Barbu - August 12 2019 at 21:56
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 18:33
Not a music snob. Enjoy all sorts of pop.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:23
Snobbery is only in the ear of the beholder. . . . or something.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:41
I dont object to that label
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 19:55
Hi,

I think a lot of folks would think I am a music snob. 

I'm not sure what they are referring to ... one look at my collection and the amount of different musics and my standing up for so many lesser known bands, makes me think that snobbery is not something that goes with me ... at least not like the academic days I was familiar with ... when the "intellectuals" would be discussing the latest Fellini, or Antonioni, and they thought that .... the children don't belong here in the living room next to the professors and these discussions.

I still kinda joke that they were just, in some hidden way, just jealous that there were no fold outs of Sophia Loren and Anita Ekberg for them to enjoy!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>