Poll Question: Are you a music snob?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [57.14%]
27 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I gotta re-read Cousins' book again ... it was a difficult one to review and describe and I was not sure I would be in the right path if I reviewed it ... it gave me a better perspective on the radio situation in England with the BBC than it did with his band!

Exorcising Ghosts?  I did read that and kind of thought the same thing, although I do love his music.  Thought it was a little light reading considering how deep many of his lyrics are.  But, then again, he was really great at crafting those (imo), so perhaps didn't miss his calling of becoming a great novelist.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 07:51
Probably not, as I don’t actually go on the forum to Sl*g Rush off .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 10:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Frankly, I never thought about it, and honestly, I don't really care. I like music, and the music I like and listen to is chosen by my personal taste. If that makes me a snob or not, Who cares?

Dude, just trying to keep the banter light and humorous. Who really cares about any of the topics here? It's all in fun. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 15:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ha ha. I have a goat in a coat on a boat. I wonder if it will float. Maybe I should build a moat.

Cute Mike, I think it's going to be the next rap hit!  Smile

I have actually written a rap or two. I'm not going to post them on here though. 

Prog rap. Now, there's a genre that hasn't happened yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. Wink

Archive's first album "Londonarium" before they were considered Prog is mostly rap but in a trip hop style.  It's actually not too bad, though it's not their best.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 01:10
Guilty as charged, since whenever I open up my mouth people try to shut me up.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 02:59
I say no but I've been accused of being one
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 03:06
Oh hell yeah.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 05:24
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not even sure what that means anymore. I would say the opposite is true of the OP's premise. People who do not explore nything outside of what is spoon fed to them are the music snobs.

Disagree with your logic. A music snob is disgusted by popular music and explores obscure unknown bands and believes their tastes in music is superior to others who listen popular music.

Here then is an actual example and you make of it what you will.  

This colleague who has safe and comfortable tastes in Indian music noticed me listening to rock music a lot.  He got curious and asked me to show a sample.  I played Bohemian Rhapsody on my mp3 player and he listened through earphones.  Before he could get much further beyond the harmonised "This is the real life" vocal prelude, he was through.  He looked disgusted and asked me how could I listen to this and it wasn't music.  

So...here you go.  A gentleman who doesn't understand harmony concludes that something beyond his understanding = not good music.  How many times will you hear ME saying something like that?  Almost never.  Irrespective of my general preferences, I will and have given anything a chance.  Do I see people like this chap do that?  No.  In my opinion, and as Tapfret said, it is them, it is the journalists who blindly bashed prog as 'pretentious' without attempting to engage with it, who are the snobs because it's they who go "how can anybody listen to this?" (to be clear, some prog may indeed be pretentious but the notion that it is wholly a bad thing and three chord music is ALWAYS preferable doesn't fly).  

I know why somebody would listen to Justin Bieber even if I don't like his work because I can figure out where the appeal lies.  The people who dismiss music out of hand without attempting to find out how it works are the real snobs, imo.  If you were a music lover living in my city, you would have seen me at the shows of a reigning Bollywood singer, western classical recitals, jazz, metal, even Shakti (McLaughlin's collaboration with Zakir Hussain and others).  If I like the music, genre is no bar for me. I don't insist that everybody should be equally or more adventurous in exploring music just as long as they don't give their opinions about MY preferences in music. 

Edited by rogerthat - August 15 2019 at 05:31
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 05:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Instinctively yes because I value music that has some sort of creative process and displays intelligence. I look down at pop music. However that is an intellectual stance.
I have always like some pop music. Abba- Dancing Queen is my guilty pleasure. I would never admit this in 'public' lol!

ABBA were genius. They were great composers of pop music. A lot of people who 'understand' music seem to like ABBA.

It was probably thanks to ABBA that I got into music at all. They were one of the first bands that my parents introduced me to at about the age of 4, and they gave me a taste for melody that's sure, and even at a very young age, I could hear they were superior to other pop at the time. I couldn't explain why, but there was clearly something in the rhythmic twists and turns, and key changes of SOS and Mama Mia, that made them stand out.

ABBA were a good band who just made America's famously nativist rock critics, notably Christgau, terribly insecure about their success.  Yeah, so they have funny accents and clumsy lyrics but how far would an American outfit get trying to write lyrics in Swedish?  They should listen to samples of Agnetha singing in Swedish; she was a wonderful singer.  Relatively underrated given the kind of popularity she and the band had back in the day.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:42
I detest the local FM rock station. That's the worst of my snobbishness.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:13
Oyus . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 00:15
I don't think Music Snobbery is just about dismissing other music , its about looking for music that is 'superior'. So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 01:30
I'm not sure, but I think yes. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 03:43

I don't think Music Snobbery is just about dismissing other music , its about looking for music that is 'superior'. So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

The irony of this is some of the most influential prog rock bands did in fact scale way up the album charts and when they bothered to produce radio edits, did well on the singles charts too.  Even today, great music does break through the charts.  Everything Everything have had two top five albums in the UK charts and they are by no means typical.  Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool made the Billboard top five and have similarly charted well in the past too.  It's just difficult to cut through the clutter of overexposed cookie cutter pop.  And I do not think calling something by its name is snobbery.  I am sure that at least in private, the songwriters regularly called on to deliver hits for popstars would admit to adhering to a formula if for no reason than that they can't afford to miss as the stakes are too high.  

Edited by rogerthat - August 16 2019 at 03:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 00:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The irony of this is some of the most influential prog rock bands did in fact scale way up the album charts and when they bothered to produce radio edits, did well on the singles charts too.  Even today, great music does break through the charts.  Everything Everything have had two top five albums in the UK charts and they are by no means typical.  Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool made the Billboard top five and have similarly charted well in the past too.  It's just difficult to cut through the clutter of overexposed cookie cutter pop.  And I do not think calling something by its name is snobbery.  I am sure that at least in private, the songwriters regularly called on to deliver hits for popstars would admit to adhering to a formula if for no reason than that they can't afford to miss as the stakes are too high.  

Yes that's true and as my avatar shows I am a fan of Muse and they are regularly are in the charts.
BTW Someone at worked yesterday asked me what I think about Beyoncé so I deflected a bit by saying 'in what way?' . They of course responded ' not in the way you are thinking!' . I did add that I just don't like or bother with most chart music so not able to express an opinion about her music as I don't listen to it. That shows a mixture of snobbery and ignorance on my part I guess!?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 01:44

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yes that's true and as my avatar shows I am a fan of Muse and they are regularly are in the charts.
BTW Someone at worked yesterday asked me what I think about Beyoncé so I deflected a bit by saying 'in what way?' . They of course responded ' not in the way you are thinking!' . I did add that I just don't like or bother with most chart music so not able to express an opinion about her music as I don't listen to it. That shows a mixture of snobbery and ignorance on my part I guess!?

That's the safest answer, to just say you don't know and don't have an opinion. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 01:50
It’s all potatoes anyway...whether we prefer chips, pommes frites or the half baked green ones is of course a thing that rely on our individual voyage through potatoville.
I tend to dig the salty variants!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 05:06
I respect all kinds of music (including much that ends up in the charts) and fans of every musical genre. However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously. And there's music around that was made to cater for these in the first place, or to just satisfy certain expectations, rather than for conveying a "musical message". I don't enjoy discussing music with these people and I'm not interested in that kind of material. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

(Also, which may not exactly be the same thing, I'm on a "private" forum discussing all kinds of things where there's a musicbox thread in which people post all kinds of stuff that they love - and occasionally I'm really stunned how samey and unoriginal the vast majority of that stuff is.)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I respect all kinds of music (including much that ends up in the charts) and fans of every musical genre. However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously. And there's music around that was made to cater for these in the first place, or to just satisfy certain expectations, rather than for conveying a "musical message". I don't enjoy discussing music with these people and I'm not interested in that kind of material. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

(Also, which may not exactly be the same thing, I'm on a "private" forum discussing all kinds of things where there's a musicbox thread in which people post all kinds of stuff that they love - and occasionally I'm really stunned how samey and unoriginal the vast majority of that stuff is.)

Yeah, we are in the minority there.  We listen to music for the sake of music.  The majority of people associate music with some social activity and see it as reflective of their personality.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 07:55

So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

And this is one of my favorite issues ... I don't trust the top 40 chart ... why? EASY ... check these numbers out!

A band in NY sells 75K albums in 3 days ... and it makes the VARIETY LIST because only 2 other artists got that far and further. That same artist only sold 1400 albums in LA, and around 600 in SF ... but it is still listed in VARIETY because it is "considered" the standard in all of America ... and this is one of the "charts" that get copied to USA Today and many other newspapers, and ... we believe it more than we give a damn ... and the likelihood is that band in NY only sold 7500 albums, not 75K, or somewhere else in the country some folks would have noticed!

My take is that a "number 1" on that list is worth a bit of money ... but the folks that run a few of those artists don't like the idea that the name of their artist is not listed with the best ... btw ... did you audit the supposed sale of 75K albums in 3 days in NY? How many stores?

NOPE .... we just accepted the "information".

And this is my only problem with a Top this or that ... the situations are never clear, and they are not listed so we know how the numbers got there ... so, if a store in Manhattan sold 5K albums of BandHooplah2, no one will know it, and it won't even be mentioned. Again, in that store, that band whooped the supposed number 1 ... that more than likely did not sell that much ... but the numbers make it look like they did!

And worse ... we believed it.

Our only hope is that one day we find out how fake these numbers were ... and that the artist will produce his/her bank account, and show that for all the numbers, he/she only brought home ... this much ... now, just sit back and watch the IRS and 157 lawyers go to work ... and 55 people end up in jail and some hard time!

Edited by moshkito - August 17 2019 at 07:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>