Poll Question: Are you a music snob?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [57.14%]
27 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 08:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

And this is one of my favorite issues ... I don't trust the top 40 chart ... why? EASY ... check these numbers out!

A band in NY sells 75K albums in 3 days ... and it makes the VARIETY LIST because only 2 other artists got that far and further. That same artist only sold 1400 albums in LA, and around 600 in SF ... but it is still listed in VARIETY because it is "considered" the standard in all of America ... and this is one of the "charts" that get copied to USA Today and many other newspapers, and ... we believe it more than we give a damn ... and the likelihood is that band in NY only sold 7500 albums, not 75K, or somewhere else in the country some folks would have noticed!

My take is that a "number 1" on that list is worth a bit of money ... but the folks that run a few of those artists don't like the idea that the name of their artist is not listed with the best ... btw ... did you audit the supposed sale of 75K albums in 3 days in NY? How many stores?

NOPE .... we just accepted the "information".

And this is my only problem with a Top this or that ... the situations are never clear, and they are not listed so we know how the numbers got there ... so, if a store in Manhattan sold 5K albums of BandHooplah2, no one will know it, and it won't even be mentioned. Again, in that store, that band whooped the supposed number 1 ... that more than likely did not sell that much ... but the numbers make it look like they did!

And worse ... we believed it.

Our only hope is that one day we find out how fake these numbers were ... and that the artist will produce his/her bank account, and show that for all the numbers, he/she only brought home ... this much ... now, just sit back and watch the IRS and 157 lawyers go to work ... and 55 people end up in jail and some hard time!

There's nothing wrong with that, though.  Again, just like PA ratings, a chart rating can only measure sales, not how they are distributed.  That is, popular vote rather than electoral college if you will.  We have an example pretty much exemplifying what you mention right here on PA - Renaissance.  They were mainly a NY, Pennsylvania and couple of North Eastern states band.  But they did better there than many other bands did all across America.  And that's fine.  There's nothing wrong with that.  If anything, you are setting up a false standard because if we had a system that mandated minimum sales in every state, you'd only ever have bands appealing to Joe Blow and Billy Blow at the top of the charts and regional diversity would never get captured in any charting music. 

Now if you suggest some bands can game the system by trumping up high numbers in a single location, well, that wouldn't even be an issue if music was selling any healthy number of units to begin with.  Would it have been possible to fake Michael Jackson's sales in this way?  No.  In the same way, when a band goes gold or platinum, you can't argue with that.  You can't buy a certification for 500,000 or 1 million albums.  That can only be earned.  And it's not for us to judge whether the 'right' or 'wrong' artists earned it.  
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 14:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

However I do believe there are many around who don't listen properly and whose music preferences are driven by criteria that I'd consider non-musical, consciously or subconsciously.

Just seeing if I understand correctly. By non-musical criteria, you're perhaps referring to its conduciveness for dancing or working out or having fun at a carnival and so on?

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

So I think what I have is better than top 40 chart music which tends to be mass produced and unoriginal. But people love that stuff for a reason because it's undemanding and they can go about their daily business with it in the background (radio or whatever). Not understanding music and dismissing something is a whole different thing. That's more to do with ignorance. I admit I am also guilty of that quite a lot! 

And this is one of my favorite issues ... I don't trust the top 40 chart ... why? EASY ... check these numbers out!

A band in NY sells 75K albums in 3 days ... and it makes the VARIETY LIST because only 2 other artists got that far and further. That same artist only sold 1400 albums in LA, and around 600 in SF ... but it is still listed in VARIETY because it is "considered" the standard in all of America ... and this is one of the "charts" that get copied to USA Today and many other newspapers, and ... we believe it more than we give a damn ... and the likelihood is that band in NY only sold 7500 albums, not 75K, or somewhere else in the country some folks would have noticed!

My take is that a "number 1" on that list is worth a bit of money ... but the folks that run a few of those artists don't like the idea that the name of their artist is not listed with the best ... btw ... did you audit the supposed sale of 75K albums in 3 days in NY? How many stores?

NOPE .... we just accepted the "information".

And this is my only problem with a Top this or that ... the situations are never clear, and they are not listed so we know how the numbers got there ... so, if a store in Manhattan sold 5K albums of BandHooplah2, no one will know it, and it won't even be mentioned. Again, in that store, that band whooped the supposed number 1 ... that more than likely did not sell that much ... but the numbers make it look like they did!

And worse ... we believed it.

Our only hope is that one day we find out how fake these numbers were ... and that the artist will produce his/her bank account, and show that for all the numbers, he/she only brought home ... this much ... now, just sit back and watch the IRS and 157 lawyers go to work ... and 55 people end up in jail and some hard time!

It's well know that Charts were often rigged even in the seventies. That's not really the point I was trying to make, more that chart music reflects an approach that is money driven and commercial based. So you have to have the best producer and the best video director etc. I have zero interest in that. I find it frustrating that people generally see the eighties as some golden age when that type of commercial approach was rife. There were good bands though don't get my wrong but they arrived despite of not because of.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 10:50
Going back to the OP, I guess I would have to say yes. I like to try to have an open mind but there is just so much garbage out there sometimes it's tough. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 14:34
I am the very definition of a music snob. I'm not proud of it.
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 19:05
Nah, people can like what they like as long as they're willing to be somewhat open minded. Music from most genres can reveal some absolute gems from my experience. So while I'd consider myself a massive fan of the medium of music, I wouldn't consider myself a snob about it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:50
Take the most horrendous sounding music you can think of....do you have it mind? Alright, then imagine an old lady listening to the very same but with goosebumps rolling across her body.

That’s music for ya right there.
We say it so much that the meaning has wandered out the backdoor but: one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Works for women too

I absolute detest Hansi Hinterseer...with a burning passion. It’s everything I loathe about music: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky....yet when I one day caught my old grandmother watching a show of his on tv - closed eyes, heavy breathing and with goosebumps all over her body...well I couldn’t quite escape the thought that she looked exactly like your’s truly listening to Atom Heart Mother or some other music that takes me to Goosebumps City.
Is her soul orgasm less worth than mine just because I find her music to be utterly cringeworthy? Is my soul orgasm less worth than her’s because she finds my music cringeworthy?
Let’s find a horse to judge the tournament!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 08:17
I don't think there's a website: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky Archives just yet. Dogs like bones but they're not osteologists ffs.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 11:17
After listening to a week or so of current pop and auto-tune in a client's warehouse, I have no problem with being some sort of snob. 

At times, I've been more snobbish than necessary. There are songs and bands I've reflexively tried to dislike, because "the weren't my type of music", but ended up liking them despite myself. 

But usually, most of pop, in any age, is crap. 

I'm a wizened snob, but still, inherently I prefer "better music", and I'm a snob. 

Edited by axeman - August 20 2019 at 11:30
-John
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 11:51
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Not at all. I find quality even in the pop songs. Desireless - Voyage Voyage is as important as the most complex progressive songs for me.

I may be snob in some ways, yet if you mean "progsnob", I'm far from it.

Thanks, me too!  Hell, I even like some disco!  LOL
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:44
Give everything a chance; much music has many values to most people.

I think this is about the rebelling against the corporate machine telling you to consume product as it is marketed to a lowest common denominator standard.

Anarchists ruling ok...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I don't think there's a website: syrupy, unimaginative, forseeable, safe and most of all highly muzaky Archives just yet. Dogs like bones but they're not osteologists ffs.

We should most definitely make one then. I’ll let you be my trusty henchman with the powers to boot all and everyone merely thinking of mentioning music with a keyboard solo or a beat that doesn’t say 1.2.3.4.
Birds like to fly but they’ve never gone on the record expressing their love for Macca’s Wings.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 09:17
To me the key word is "snob". If I think about wine snobs then I don't act that way with music, I am sure when I was a bit younger I may have so my answer is yes and no.
So there........deal with it.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 00:37
Not so much anymore!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 21:56
I finally bit the bullet and voted no. The reason I voted no is because I like a lot of different kinds of music besides just prog and while I have preferences of some stuff over others that shouldn't matter because pretty much everyone does. So while my taste might appear snobbish to some I don't really see it that way. I just know what I like and like what I know. ;)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:43
Yes Absoultely YES!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345