Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top three albums By... Whoever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 18:53
Brian Eno

Too tough man.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 19:06
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard:

Polygondwanaland
Flying Microtonal Banana

Items ordered.

Two great albums, you won’t regret
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 19:09
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

KANSAS

Leftoverture
Somewhere to Elsewhere
Point of No Return

interesting choice with somewhere to elsewhere, I love Icarus II, Distant Vision, Myriad and The Coming Dawn, but most the stuff inbetween falls flat for me

For some reason, just about every song on the album resonates with me.  You're the first person I've ever heard single out Myriad, which is my favorite on the album and one of my favorite Kansas songs overall.  

Yeah it is a great song. Icarus 2 is amazing, Walsh’s aged vocals really elevate the song and I love the lyrics.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 19:22
Okay...

Eno (song based)

Another Green World
Nerve Net
Another Day On Earth Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy)

Eno (ambient)

Music for Airports
Thursday Afternoon Lux
The Shutov Assembly
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:03
ELP

ELP 
Trilogy
BSS

Other than the title track I'm not that big into Tarkus; not that it's bad but I think the other three are over all a bit better.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Polygondwanaland
Flying Microtonal Banana

Items ordered.

Two great albums, you won’t regret

It should be noted that Polygondwanaland is a free digital download (although they did release it on CD about a year later).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:17

Sketches Of Brunswick East
Polygondwanaland
Flying Microtonal Banana 

Two other albums that I enjoy about as much as the above albums are: Gumboot Soup and Eyes Like The Sky.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:26

I already know them and really enjoyed Sketches of Brunswick East.
If you like Sketches of Brunswick East, then you'd probably like Gumboot Soup. I think these two albums have a similar feel and the music of either album wouldn't sound too far out-of-place on the other album.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 12:37
^ Noted, thanks.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 13:58
Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon,  Wish You Were Here, Animals

Genesis
A Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, Selling England...

King Crimson
The Court of the Crimson King, Red, Thrak

Camel
Snow Goose, Moonmadness, A Nod and a Wink

TD
Phaedra, Force Majeure, Zeit

Yes
The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge

Peter Gabriel
IV, III, Live Blood

Chicago
VII, V, II

Edited by tdfloyd - August 23 2019 at 14:01
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 17:12
Irmin Schmidt

Axolotl Eyes
Toy Planet
Filmmusik Vol 3 & 4

Have only heard a small bit of 2018's Klavierstuecke yet, but it may end up in the top 3.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 17:53
Yes

Yawn. No offense but a lot of people(even Yes fans) seem to act as though these are the only Yes albums that matter. I think part of it is because of the lineup on those albums(especially the presence of Bill Bruford). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 22:14
Magma

Kobaïa
1001° Centigrades
Retrospektïẁ I-II
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:00
Just wanted to say I'm stunned how many people listed both Wind and Tail in their top 3 Genesis albums. They're the most solid of the Collins albums (at least in terms of prog credentials) but to me they pale in comparison to every Gabriel album after the debut. Heck, Trespass is missing two of that line-up and is actually one of the most underrated/great albums they ever made.

Compare Squonk to the average song on Lamb - no comparison! I get that people have a soft spot for those albums, but to me not only the songwriting was starting to decline, but even Collin's playing was becoming less inventive/incisive already after his peak on Lamb, and it took a while for his singing to align well with his drumming facility (that happened by Duke I'd say, but by then the songwriting was REALLY in decline!) Not to mention the mixing of the drums starting to move towards the 80s sound, which always gives me a headache with the excessively tinny thudding toms (and it gets worse and worse on subsequent remasters).
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:15
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

ELP:
1. Tarkus
2. Emerson Lake & Palmer
3. Works Vol. 2

certainly a bit 'left field' on that one!

Kind of a new deal for me. Works 2 just totally clicked for me; I must be nuts. 
I just dig the clamorous nuttiness, the freakout jazziness, the barroom brawls and oddball short-takes on prog rock busting out of this thing. Even the Christmas tune is cool for nostalgia purposes, hearing it back in the late 80's-early 90's all the time pumping out of the canned "Christmas classics" music-feed from the speakers of the party goods store I worked at as a young lunatic.
I find the album to be a mess, but a glorious, entertaining mess that offers more fun for me than much of their more celebrated (and rather "bloated") 'works'.

I think you are one of the few that actually 'get' that album. It presented a more relaxed version of ELP and was partly a reaction to the punk backlash I believe. However 'Died in the wool' fans like me tend to look down on it and I can't remember the last time I played it. There needs to be a track that I desperately want to listen to and the only thing that falls into that category is Brain Salad Surgery which I can listen to on the bonus version of the album which also has When The Apple Blossom Blooms. Also the Works Vol2 version of IBIFC is not as good as the single version imo. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes

Yawn. No offense but a lot of people(even Yes fans) seem to act as though these are the only Yes albums that matter. I think part of it is because of the lineup on those albums(especially the presence of Bill Bruford). 

True but when you have a thread that is picking 3 albums then what can you do? I predictably picked 2 of them (Fragile and CTTE) because of the writing and in my opinion this was the best 5 piece line-up ever in progressive rock. I did, however, go for Drama as my 'wildcard' just for a bit of variety! 

Edited by richardh - August 23 2019 at 23:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:23
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Van der Graaf Generator:

1) Pawn Hearts
2) Godbluff
3) Do Not Disturb (a very underrated album)

yep missed this the first time but totally agree about DND
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:23

Van der Graaf Generator:

1) Pawn Hearts
2) Godbluff

and that is also my VDGG selection!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 04:50

Van der Graaf Generator:

1) Pawn Hearts
2) Godbluff

I like it a lot... trouble is, they have three even better ones...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 13:37
MY VdGG trio is quite mundane, one might say (in order of my usual preference):

The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other
Pawn Hearts
H to He Who Am the Only One

I wanted to try Art Zoyd, but that is really tough as I love so many Art Zoyd albums, but I'll go with:

Génération sans futur
Les espaces inquiets
Häxan

Tangerine Dream:

Electronic Meditation
Alpha Centauri
Atem

(Zeit i just don't always have the patience for)

Igor Wakhévitch:

Docteur Faust
Logos
Hathor

Robert Wyatt:

Rock Bottom
The End of an Ear
Shleep

Area:

Caution Radiation Area
Crac !
Arbeit macht frei