Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starcastle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 17:46
I love listening to Starcastle.  As long as I can set aside thoughts of how derivative they were, I really enjoy the music.  
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 18:25
Never heard.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 01:41
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Never heard.

Check out this tune from their first LP, it is one of my favorites.  I'd seen them play this many times when I was in college!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 07:58
^ Fascinante ressemblance.
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:22
I've heard Starcastle being dismissed as Yes clones over the years, and can't say I agree. They have a distinctive sound all of their own, imho, and some of the vocal harmonies are exquisite and are nothing like Yes.

I'm a Citadel man myself. Tongue
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:05
what they did in 76-77 (first three albums) is quite good. Big smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:49
I have the first 2....on old vinyl....would pick up Citadel if I saw it in a shop. 

While maybe not a clone.... they do resemble Yes a good deal but so do other groups from the prog world.
It would be interesting to read an interview with band members as to their influences.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 19 2021 at 13:49
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 10:17
Vastly underrated band - I will always love and listen to the first three albums. Gary Strater and Stephen Tassler are one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time!

As far as the Yes comparisons go, it really only applies to the first album. When Roy Thomas Baker produced the next two albums, they started to sound more like Queen, Rush, and Boston, with some Yes influences still present.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:25
I have really liked the Starcastle debut album for many years; for me, their later records don't quite match the first one. The debut is the most striking one.

RIP, Gary Strater
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  
If that were true, God save America.

I thought Yezda Urfa was the American Yes!

Always loved Starcastle--even got see them live as warmup to Todd Rundgren's Utopia. (The keyboard guy was he most impressive to me.) Nice to see the love being expressed for these talented Illini.

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 20 2021 at 11:58
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 12:58
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Vastly underrated band - I will always love and listen to the first three albums. Gary Strater and Stephen Tassler are one of the greatest rhythm sections of all time!

As far as the Yes comparisons go, it really only applies to the first album. When Roy Thomas Baker produced the next two albums, they started to sound more like Queen, Rush, and Boston, with some Yes influences still present.

Fountains of Light is firmly in the mold of Yes-styled symph prog, but it's much better than the debut, which is almost shameless in its mimicry.

In fact, Starcastle turned me off for many years. When I finally heard Fountains of Light, I realized the band was capable of a lot more. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 01:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Local fans understood the parallels to Yes, and we embraced that, as they were the "American answer to Yes."  

Always loved Starcastle--even got see them live as warmup to Todd Rundgren's Utopia. (The keyboard guy was he most impressive to me.) Nice to see the love being expressed for these talented Illini.

Yezda Urfa is in no way the American Yes, in my opinion. The similarities are minimal. The bassist certainly has a Squire-like tone for the bass and style in playing, but otherwise, what else is there? The singer... also sings high...? The singer actually really sounds like Trevor Horn, if anything. Almost EXACTLY like Trevor Horn. 

In every other way, to me, they sound like a band already obsessed with Zappa who all did cocaine and discovered Gentle Giant together. Gentle Giant on coke. That sounds more like it to me.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 07:05
Like Prog Archives says sometimes: "only for fans (of Yes)" or "completionists". Two words come to my mind: imitator and clone.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 07:41
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Like Prog Archives says sometimes: "only for fans (of Yes)" or "completionists". Two words come to my mind: imitator and clone.

or a third one - pastiche Big smileLOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Yezda Urfa is in no way the American Yes, in my opinion. The similarities are minimal. The bassist certainly has a Squire-like tone for the bass and style in playing, but otherwise, what else is there? The singer... also sings high...? The singer actually really sounds like Trevor Horn, if anything. Almost EXACTLY like Trevor Horn. 

In every other way, to me, they sound like a band already obsessed with Zappa who all did cocaine and discovered Gentle Giant together. Gentle Giant on coke. That sounds more like it to me.

I agree...more of a cross between GG and Zappa and other prog influences. They were from Chicago and northwest Indiana which is where I live. Sadly I never heard of them in the mid 70's even though I lived in that area...they played in various places in Chicago and nothwest Indiana.
Good interview    https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2019/07/yezda-urfa-interview.html
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 12:43
Great band! And what's wrong with Yes clones?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:17
"Citadel" was actually the first Starcastle that I owned.  I like it enough to go back to their debut and "Fountains of Light" albums.  I liked them even before Yes became one of my favorite bands, but I must credit them to get me to listen to Yes a lot closer back in the day, mainly because back then I even heard people say they were Yes clones.  I have kept my appreciation of them even now.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:55
Starcastle had some important differences from Yes.  They featured two incredibly talented lead guitarists, their keyboard player was predominantly a Hammond organ player, and they incorporated instruments in live shows like saxophone.  You can't judge this band only by their limited discography.  

Lead vocalist Terry Lutrell left REO Speedwagon to join Starcastle....I wonder if he regretted that move, seeing that REO went on to be a monster act on AOR and classic rock radio? 

For one ProgDay performance, Annie Halsam sang with the band, I heard it was sublime.  

To summarize, they were inspired by Yes, but not a "Yes clone" etc.  They easily could have played Yes songs live, but to my knowledge, they never did.  Their "da-dadada-da-da DA!" vocalization style was unique to Starcastle, Yes never did anything like that.  Flash did however. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Great band! And what's wrong with Yes clones?

I haven't listened to Starcastle in awhile but what I did hear was pretty damn good Yes-inspired prog so I have no problem with clones executing this kind of complex music in an entertaining manner. 

It's worked like gangbusters for Steve Howe! LOL

PetePuma View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetePuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 13:14
I enjoy the first 3 albums quite a bit. The first is my favorite.
Cult Deprogrammer: "I was able to get Paul McCartney out of Wings"
Homer: "You idiot! He was the most talented one"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>