Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tool
    Posted: August 30 2019 at 12:52
So, this had to be done. 

Reviews are fun to look into but I'm curious to get more of a discussion going and really delve into some different perspectives on the specifics. 

What are your thoughts (and gut feelings) on Fear Inoculum? What are your favorite and least favorite things about the album (both individual tracks and particular aspects of the music)? How does it hold up to the rest of the discography in your opinion? How do you feel about the overall lyrical content? What about the instrumental track? If you've gotten the limited edition copy, how are you liking it? And how's your general experience of this long-awaited release day? More questions/aspects to open up to discussion are welcome! 

Anticipated spoiler warning for the thread ahead.

Happy Tool Day!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 13:44
Not a big Tool fan, and I'm sure I'll get some death threats writing this, but I think Fear Innoculum is horrible. Repetitive, droning, trancey nonsense that does nothing for me. No question that all band mates are talented musicians (Carey more so than others) and it's awesome that they are under no constraints to put out an album in a certain time. But seriously? Sounds like a garage band jamming to me. Something that could have been written on the spot. And what puzzles me more are the accolades of praise this album will receive. I'm sure it will be ranked as PA 2019 album of the year.

enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 16:55
I’m still forming my opinion after 4 listens, but here’s some background...

I bought each of the Tool albums as they were released; I was a few weeks late buying both Undertow and AEnima but the others were on day of release. This means I had to time to digest each album in real time before the next one came out, and I also went through their evolution with them (I think starting with Lateralus or 10,000 days might cloud your enjoyment and judgement of the earlier releases as you already know what comes next in their evolution)
Of all the albums, Undertow and Fear Inoculum are the ones where I found real pleasure on first listen. The others took many listens over months and even years to fully appreciate. The shorter songs on Undertow made it easy to digest (I was into Ride the Lightning era Metallica at the time So was used to chugging guitars)

As for Fear Inoculum, on first listen I found it beautiful, I already had been playing the title track to death throughout the last few weeks so was tuned into the new gentler sound. With each listen I discover a new favourite track, the current favourite is Descending; I just love the extended guitar ‘solo’ that starts around 7 minutes with the slide and just takes off.
I think the album has a distinct sound which means several of the tracks can sound similar and have similar structures but I’m loving it and finding real beauty in there that is different to previous releases.

Now whether this immediacy means it won’t have the staying power of AEnima and Lateralus only time will tell, but for me at least is hasn’t left me scratching my head in the same way AEnima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days did in their early listens.

Edited by enigma - August 30 2019 at 17:00
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 18:07
I like it on initial listen. It doesn't seem to have that "epicness" that their two previous albums have, but it's pretty high quality all the way through. I don't think Carey has ever played better either. 

First listen grade - 3/5. Will continue to listen as time goes forward. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 01:16
I didn't know about it until I saw this thread! The price on Amazon UK for the CD is ridiculous so I will have to content myself with streaming it.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 01:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Not a big Tool fan, and I'm sure I'll get some death threats writing this, but I think Fear Innoculum is horrible. Repetitive, droning, trancey nonsense that does nothing for me. No question that all band mates are talented musicians (Carey more so than others) and it's awesome that they are under no constraints to put out an album in a certain time. But seriously? Sounds like a garage band jamming to me. Something that could have been written on the spot. And what puzzles me more are the accolades of praise this album will receive. I'm sure it will be ranked as PA 2019 album of the year.

Watch the joke be the guys purposely made it bad to prove hype sells, lol.

I've yet to hear it. It's like $45 USD, correct? I keep hearing unless you purchase digital it's a hefty price.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 03:08
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Watch the joke be the guys purposely made it bad to prove hype sells, lol.

I've yet to hear it. It's like $45 USD, correct? I keep hearing unless you purchase digital it's a hefty price.
More like $145 USD. I'll wait for the non-special edition.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 06:30
The Zon currently has it for $189.99 USD. What a deal.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 31 2019 at 06:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 07:10
"Watch the joke be the guys purposely made it bad to prove hype sells."

Interesting thought FZ. 

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 31 2019 at 07:14
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 09:53
It was £75-£90 here in UK. That was the actual price on Amazon, HMV, Rough Trade etc.

£80 is currently 97 US dollars, so we were totally ripped off here in Europe. But hopefully when mine arrives (I paid £75) it will be a nice addition to my collection.

Edited by enigma - August 31 2019 at 10:02
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 11:22
Just read the amazon description. That high cost CD has a built-in rechargeable 4" video screen.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 13:08
Heard it. Best tracks: "Pneuma," "Invincible," "Descending." 

FI is a much better album overall than 10,000 Days. They just took far too long to release it.
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 14:54
The second half of Descending is utterly sublime (7 mins in). The moment Adam’s slide guitar starts, to the build up to Danny’s gong strikes then on to the end is perfection in my opinion.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 17:29
Never been a Tool fan 'cept for a couple songs.......This one will make me want all their albums. Problem is I try and only do vinyl, hoping a vinyl version gets released.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 23:05
I'm still wondering if I want to check it out. So far I have only heard Lateralus, and even though I found it very good (every single track is at least good), nothing really stuck with me... there were no real highlights, so I have not had the urge to check out their other albums... still, I really liked the last Perfect circle album (not as perfect, but there are songs that I find more distinguishable).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 12:23
Interesting that the CD version doesn't have the bonus tracks/interludes. I wonder if they'll be on the vinyl.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 17:24
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Interesting that the CD version doesn't have the bonus tracks/interludes. I wonder if they'll be on the vinyl.

Didn't realize this.

How dumb.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 05:05
Had a first listen yesterday. I kind of expected some progression in the 50 years or so since 10,000 days but it's the same Tool sound. I'll have a few more listens to gauge a proper opinion.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 17:11

I AM a fan and I agree with you on every word. I didn't expect them to come up with something entirely new and different, so I was ready for all the same riffs and structures. Guess I wasn't ready for the laziest Tool record ever though!

Maynard in particular is barely on the album - he's notoriously absent from all climaxes and codas, so Adam Jones steps in and plays...what is that, is that a GUITAR SOLO in my Tool, wtf?? MJK meanwhile sounds awaken only on 1/3 of the last track, every other time he's like half asleep or wasted on his own wine/ego. On top of that, all the songs are like twice longer than they should've been, with no real progression - sounds like they're just jamming indeed - and no real hooks to hum along. And I thought the title track was weak! Now I'm sure this is the only song they put some effort into here.

Anyway, I'm feeling a weak 1 to a light 2, tran-

Edited by Prog-jester - September 02 2019 at 17:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 17:55
Thanks for the kind words P-j. Did not expect fans to agree with me. Some of the drumming is killer.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 02 2019 at 17:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>