Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [72.97%]
10 [27.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp vs The Eagles
    Posted: August 30 2019 at 17:46
Which artist do you lovw the most?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 19:45
SUPER EAGLES! An excellent 70s band from Gambia in Africa!!!!

OK, if i have to choose yours, definately Supertramp

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 07:35
Supertramp, no question (but they're not among my favorite prog bands to begin with!) xD
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 09:07
I really like Supertramp but Joe Walsh plays with the Eagles.  Eagles gets my vote.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 11:10
After Pink Floyd and The Doors, Supertramp is my favorite, but I do like the Eagles very much.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 15:50
Supertramp, though I did bring an Eagles CD with me on my road trip this weekend (and no Supertramp)
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 17:07
The band that Joe Walsh plays in.

Don't like Supertramp, sorry.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2019 at 17:31
Couple nice albums and one excellent one!! But not enough to sway me away from The Eagles.......
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 05:36
After posting my "Hotel California" blog, I've since discovered the Eagles aren't very popular here, and some members even questioned why I'd posted a blog featuring the songs of the Eagles on a Prog-Rock site. Smile
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 06:14
Supertramp is my 3rd favorite band, and despite their differences, I also like the Eagles
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:29
I like both Supertramp and the Eagles, but my vote goes to the Eagles, mainly because I have more albums by them than by Supertramp.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 14 2021 at 11:37
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:38
Hi,

When it comes to the history of folk/rock, specially here in the West Coast, it's really hard to not accept and appreciate the EAGLES and their work ... I might have enjoyed them better in their earlier days, but their later days were marked by incredible musicianship and a very good control of their abilities, when in the earlier days they were free'r (is there such a word?) and you could see and hear mistakes on the stage, however the energy and quality of everything else was excellent.

I like Supertramp, but they did not have the history or the value that the EAGLES did for a whole generation, when (by comparison) Supertramp was just another band. 

I'm sorry ... I'm voting for the Eagles ... and they deserve some respect for the very progressive and attention to the quality of their recordings, specially after Joe Walsh joined them, as before they were all over the place in recording. Joe cleaned it all up and made something like HOTEL CALIFORNIA possible, and while CRIME OF THE CENTURY is a super nice album, I have to say that even today, I might play one of the songs from HC before I would one from Supertramp ... that's how much of an importance they had on my days as a 20's something and the dates and parties I went to and enjoyed while in Junior College ... 

Looking at it some 45 years later, destroys its history, and this poll is based on "favorite" without a history ... and sadly, that diminishes the music for me, and takes away its SOUL .... and I simply can not do that to any music ... yours or mine!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:58
ugh...no vote
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:13
Glenn Frey is forever missed, hes death was very sad and made me reflect on the Eagle. I reccomend every soul to see the Netflix documentary, an excellent documemt on the power of Eagles.

Edited by Icarium - September 22 2019 at 10:14
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:59
Supertramp by far
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 11:54
Supertramp

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 12:02
Poetry, superior story telling, and precision imbue Eagles lyrics.  Sometimes I forget. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 13:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Supertramp by far
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 13:32
Supertramp, but I'm quite familiar with the music of both, and also somewhat familiar with The Eagles death metal years.  LOL

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 10:57
What do these two bands have even remotely in common other than being constantly on the radio between 1976-1981? 

While a very talented band, Eagles always came across as being smug, cynical, and self-congratulatory. They constantly milked the "small-town America" aesthetic, yet still gave off a rock-star aura of detachment that was perceived as confidence and integrity. As the critic Stephen Demorest wrote about their Hotel California album: "How many times can you indict your lifestyle before you're finally guilty?" It would make much more sense to compare Eagles to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Supertramp, while not perfect, was plain and simply FAR more imaginative than Eagles. Another reason this comparison does not make much sense is that Supertramp were much more keyboard-oriented, while Eagles were guitar-oriented. That, of course, comes down to your personal preferences, but even setting that aside, I always felt Supertramp was far more "authentic" than Eagles. Rick Davies always explained the band's name as being inspired by those people who are "very well-educated, yet at heart, still just a bum/vagabond/drifter." They managed to capture both an innocent "down-to-earth"-ness as well as an eccentric, thoughtful individualism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>