Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone identify this music(Yes related)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone identify this music(Yes related)?
    Posted: September 02 2019 at 12:35
First of all I have been a Yes fan since the mid 80's and while I haven't heard all their solo material I have heard all of their studio albums and most if not all live material that included Jon Anderson(sorry not a big fan of post Jon A. era for the most part). 

So, anyway, this video was taken at a Yes convention back in the late 80's(87 to be exact)in NJ. Maybe some of you were there. I actually was there for one day but didn't take the video. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the music that is playing from 1:39 to about 2:12. There are two ostensibly different musical segments in there. One goes from 1:39 to 2:02 and the other goes from 2:02 to 2:12. I recognize the stuff before it and the song after it. I won't spoil it in case anyone wants to name those as well just for fun. The intro music in general starts at :30 and goes to 3:05. I'm guessing but not 100 percent certain that it's all Yes or Yes related. If it is actually Yes then it must be rather rare or some outtake that I never heard. I don't have all of the later remastered cds(yet).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to embed the video in here but this one plays fine(not counting the actual video which admittedly isn't perfect. Lol).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 02 2019 at 12:54
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 19:04
Wow, interesting. I’m curious too.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 19:38
That is a pretty kick-ass passage.   Sounds like White on drums, and surely the material was recorded between 1977 and 1982.   That's the best I got.

Makes you realize how much quality material they had at their fingertips.   The studio albums may've been just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Atavachron - September 02 2019 at 19:39
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 20:31
Now that you mention it some of it could be from the XYZ sessions but the first part had Jon Anderson going dut dut at the end so it would have to be the second segment. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 20:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That is a pretty kick-ass passage.   Sounds like White on drums, and surely the material was recorded between 1977 and 1982.   That's the best I got.

Makes you realize how much quality material they had at their fingertips.   The studio albums may've been just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not as much of a Yes expert as some people but I'm pretty sure most Yes material has been released either on the remastered cds as bonus tracks or on the Yesyears or other Yes compilation albums. There are of course a lot of solo albums that feature Yes members as either their own album or as guests.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 16:20
Well the synth that comes in around 1:55 mark certainly sounds like Patrick Moraz as does the other little blip so the time frame to search would be from the 1974 era in my estimation.

Not a lot of help but maybe helps refine the search.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 17:56
My guess was 74-77. 77-82 covers some of it but maybe not the stuff I don't recognize. 90125 is from 83 and Run with the fox which was Alan White and Chris Squire is from 1981(although it came after the ones I was curious about and didn't include it because I'm already familiar with it). 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 09:53
I'm clueless.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 19:50
Mystery solved. I posted this over on the yesfans website and some people on there were able to figure it out. The one part is from a Jon Anderson solo track called "the spider" which was a bonus track on Jon Anderson's Animation remastered cd. Apparently both sections were part of a demo of holding on. At least that's what one guy said. I think maybe the second part but not sure about the first. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 04 2019 at 19:51
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 20:01
Very interesting, and why one member of a band can contribute so much to the approach and sound.   It was the following year Jon returned to the band for 90125 , to the benefit of both.   But it also shows Anderson was quite capable of directing a solid recording without any Yes members.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 20:35
I actually disagree that they were part of a holding on demo. These were played during that yes convention in 1987 which was before the Union Yes let alone before ABWH recorded any demos. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 04 2019 at 20:36
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 08:30
find it like a lot of Andersons solo music--moments of greatness and then just annoying---(there are hints its Jon's solo stuff as the guy playing music is surrounded by Jon's solo stuff)---either way he always needed good collaborators....
 Post Reply Post Reply