Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Prog Band Home Concert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 06:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My home town (Hornchurch in Essex) only has a couple of music venues. One is a theatre that only really has tribute bands and I've seen "Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Steely Dan and Madness" there.
We have one other small venue that takes around 120 people and I saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash play Argus there last year.

My home town is Brentwood, Essex, and my sister lives very close to Hornchurch!  Never seen anyone decent (or heard of!) there, London was my go to city of course for my first gigs, too many to mention, but King's X at The Astoria in the late '80s/early '90s were always incredible.  And my first IQ gig was when they split in 1989, at The Marquee....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 08:21
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

My home town (Hornchurch in Essex) only has a couple of music venues. One is a theatre that only really has tribute bands and I've seen "Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Steely Dan and Madness" there.
We have one other small venue that takes around 120 people and I saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash play Argus there last year.

My home town is Brentwood, Essex, and my sister lives very close to Hornchurch!  Never seen anyone decent (or heard of!) there, London was my go to city of course for my first gigs, too many to mention, but King's X at The Astoria in the late '80s/early '90s were always incredible.  And my first IQ gig was when they split in 1989, at The Marquee....
Nice. Hornchurch isn't exactly a hotbed of prog but there are a few decent music pubs around. Apart from Wishbone Ash, the closest thing to prog is a couple of gigs at Fairkytes from Mrs Bob Fripp (aka Toyah).

The Robert Peel in Kingston (near where I was brought up) was a great prog venue before it closed down. I saw Pendragon, Touchstone, Magenta and Tinyfish there.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 02:04

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Nice. Hornchurch isn't exactly a hotbed of prog but there are a few decent music pubs around. Apart from Wishbone Ash, the closest thing to prog is a couple of gigs at Fairkytes from Mrs Bob Fripp (aka Toyah).

The Robert Peel in Kingston (near where I was brought up) was a great prog venue before it closed down. I saw Pendragon, Touchstone, Magenta and Tinyfish there.

Used to occasionally go to a pub called The Cauliflower somewhere near Hornchurch/Upminster, to see a covers band back in the late '80s, they were good but I can't remember their name.  And I saw Ark, a strange British prog band, around the same time at The Royal Standard in Walthamstow...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 15:07
Went to the Sept. 25, 1977 Yes show at the San Diego Sports Arena. They aren't now, but they were probably my favorite band then. It all started with Parallels and ended with Awaken before the two encores (one being Starship Trooper). Fantastic would be an understatement in describing the show, and my buddy and I had great seats. It was also good to see Wakeman back in the lineup.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 17:31
My home town had a total population of 525 (I actually lived closer to another town that had a population in the low double digits, but the 525 is where I went to school).  

Closest city of any size is Colorado Springs (where I live now).  Closest city that actually got big name acts is Denver, where I saw Rush, The Moody Blues, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, and Vangough

Boulder isn't far, which is where I caught Jethro Tull

Same distance in an opposite direction is Pueblo, where I did my undergrad studies, a dark, filthy, nasty, ugly, crime-ridden hellhole where I generally refuse to go anymore, but Kansas inexplicably made a stop there on their 40th anniversary tour, so I bit the bullet and made the trip.

Speaking of super violent third world hellholes, I made San Antonio my home for a couple years.  The two hours I spent at a Rush concert there was pretty much the only two hours out of my two years there that didn't completely suck.  

For a while, I made Boston my hometown (which was great), and I caught Rush, Dream Theater, and The Moody Blues there as well.  

judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 17:17
^^^ I am from and live in Guatemala, and I was there in San Salvador for that Jethro Tull concert. I was in San Salvador too for a Symphony X concert (The Odyssey tour). Both were in the Feria grounds, and the acoustics were terrible, especially in the SymX show. There was also a security issue in the JT show, when a fan climbed on the stage and hugged Ian (obviously against his will). He was so enraged, he threw his flute away and walked out from the stage, leaving the rest of the band playing the final notes! But I had the time of my life on both!

Michael Manring played a solo show in Guatemala City around 2005 which I attended too. And one of my favorites, Dream Theater played a show here also around 2003. I wasn't able to make it that time, but I had already watched DT in Florida for their World Tourbulence in the 00's.

Edited by judahbenkenobi - September 11 2019 at 17:27
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 05:11
My hometown is Barcelona and I have seen most of the big ones here, several of them a few times, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Camel, Oldfield, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Neal Morse, Carl Palmer band, Asia, Steve Vai, Deep Purple, Pendragon, Wakeman and Wakeman, Quidam, Jadis...

I also lived 10 years in Belgium and although it was in a very small village I was not too far by car from Brussels and Holland, and I saw there others like Rush, Arena, After Crying...

Of the big names, the one that I miss not having seen live are Kansas.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 08:22
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I have a recollection of winning tickets from a radio station to go see ELP at Wonderland Gardens in my hometown of London Ontario when I was an early teen. My folks wouldn't let me go because...well...it was a rock concert. Although I have never found a tour list that shows them playing there around that time.

In the end, I was able to many great acts in London including...
- Rush with Symphonic Slam opening, Centennial Hall
- Genesis, (first Trick of the Tale concert) London Arena
- Strawbs, Alumni Hall at the University of Western Ontario
- Gino Vanelli with Chris DeBurgh opening, Same Venue UWO
- ASIA, their first ever concert Same Venue UWO
- Yes, John Labbat Centre
-Trans Siberian Orchestra, (ok, maybe not GREAT, but a spectacle for sure) Labbat Centre

I recognize all these as I also grew up in London, lived there until I was 23. 1990 ish

Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 08:24
Seeing Rush here in Toronto always had a little more electricity.
I saw FM back in the day also.
These are Toronto bands playing here in Toronto, a more literal interpretation of hometown shows....

Edited by Magmatt - September 16 2019 at 08:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 11:02
It wasn't that difficult to find good prog concerts in Hamburg, Germany when I grew up, so I mention the local prog heroes Novalis here; saw them four times, "home concerts" for them as well as me. The one on their Augenblicke tour was among my first five concerts, and it had a very cosy home atmosphere with very tasteful not overdone light show and effects, apart from them being very good at the time anyway.

Edited by Lewian - September 16 2019 at 11:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12