Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave Prog Band Home Concert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fave Prog Band Home Concert?
    Posted: September 02 2019 at 14:37
Don't think this has been done before. Has your favorite prog artist ever played a concert at the city/town you are from? I guess "home" can mean different things for different people; maybe where you were born, or where you have lived most of your life.
                  I have lived a big part of my life in Ottawa, Canada-since 1988, when I was 25. I guess I consider it "home turf".
           My favorite prog artist, Triumvirat, were slated to play Ottawa at the Ottawa Civic Center way back on July 4th, 1975, but only the other two acts showed, ELO and Pavlov's Dog. I was actually living in a small town located about an hour away, at that time.
           Triumvirat never played in North America after late 1975, and split in 1980. So that was that.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 14:47
Actually yes I have. I saw Yes and ABWH in Middletown NY(where I was born and lived much of my teens and early adulthood). I saw ABWH at the fairgrounds(speedway)in the summer of 1989 with my brother. I saw Yes there in 1991 on the Union tour(went by myself but met up with a friend afterwards by coincidence although I knew he was a big Yes fan so not much of a coincidence)then saw Yes there again in 1994 with my brother again. I saw Yes one more time with my brother but I had moved to PA by then(that show was in 2004 in Allentown PA which interestingly is where he was born which means we both saw them in our home towns). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 02 2019 at 14:47
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 14:53
As for which one of those was my favorite I would have to say maybe the ABWH one. It wasn't the first time I saw "Yes" but the first time I saw that lineup since I didn't get into Yes until the 80's as a teen. I distinctly remember the dry ice during close to the edge. It was and is one of my favorite concert memories. The other shows were good too even Union which actually gave me tinnitus in my left ear. What I remember about that was the quadraphonic sound and Chris Squires really low bass sound from his five string bass. The Talk show was lightly attended(relatively speaking)with maybe only 2000 people there(rainy night but not an excuse)compared to the first two which had maybe 4-6,000 if not more. What I liked about the Talk show was the plastic Roger Dean props. I also remembered they opened with Perpetual CHange and ended probably with roundabout but did an encore of a Jimi Hendrix song(I think purple haze).

Edit: Ha ha. I actually found a review I did on the forgotten yesterdays website for Union. Here it is: Mike:
Being orginally from Middletown and living there at the time(I saw the ABWH and Talk shows here too)I was thrilled to see Yes again. The only thing I really remember them playing was "awaken" but I know they did some tracks from the Union album as well. I also remember that during at least one song they music was drifting back and forth really fast between the speakers in a very quadraphonic way(it must have been a quadraphonic sound system)so that was really cool. I also remember Chris getting these really low end bass tones on his five string that are probably the lowest tones I've ever heard and practically shook the whole place(it was an outdoor venue though but you could feel it in your chest. My only complaint is that Trevor Rabins guitar at times hit this really high pitched sound a couple of times that nearly made me deaf in my left ear(to this day I still have a bad left ear-tinutus to be exact)but other than that it was a great concert. I was only 8 rows back and this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see these guys all on the same stage. The place was very much a full house that night too.Too bad I can't remember hardly any of what they played. Oh well.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 02 2019 at 15:02
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 15:04
I live in Edmonton - the first North American stop for Yes on June 24, 1971 with Jethro Tull no less (although Tull had played some US dates earlier). I believe parts of 9012Live were recorded in Edmonton as well. Unfortunately, being the relatively young person I am, I never ended up seeing them until after Squire's death.

A lot of national acts tend to skip Edmonton; they'll play Montreal and Vancouver and forget about the rest of Canada in between. A few years ago, it seemed like Canadian prog tours seemed to be a trend, so that's when I managed to see Yes as well as King Crimson, although I had to drive 3 hours to Calgary for KC. Good Canadian boys Rush, on the other hand, usually make a stop here every other tour, so I've caught them a few times.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 15:19
^^thanks for your reminiscences and review, Mike! 

^thanks, too, ForestFriend (Alex), I know what you mean about acts playing Montreal and Vancouver and forgetting about what's left in Canada. Believe it or not, one of Triumvirat's only Canadian concerts was actually in Calgary  with Supertramp in August of 1975!

Edited by presdoug - September 02 2019 at 15:31
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 23:56
There was a period when I only had a five minute walk from my house to see many great bands including Colosseum , Carl Palmer , Wishbone Ash etc. Fun to see these legends playing in a venue (Swindon Art Centre) that barely holds 100 people. Leslie West described it as being like The Filmore East. Being a native New Yorker he would know! In more recent times it's been slim pickings and I don't mean a Country and Western star!! 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 13:32
Nope...the only prog band that played in my 'home town'...was The Moody Blues......
KC is probably my favorite and they have played in Chicago many times but I live about 45 miles south of the city.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 14:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There was a period when I only had a five minute walk from my house to see many great bands including Colosseum , Carl Palmer , Wishbone Ash etc. Fun to see these legends playing in a venue (Swindon Art Centre) that barely holds 100 people. Leslie West described it as being like The Filmore East. Being a native New Yorker he would know! In more recent times it's been slim pickings and I don't mean a Country and Western star!! 
Wow, Richard, that is pretty cool. Too bad things have toned down, recently, but you must have some great memories of those previous shows! Would have loved to have seen Colosseum and Wishbone Ash, especially.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 14:07
I saw Renaissance in the 80's perform at a small venue in Huntington Beach Ca., where I was living at the time. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 15:18
I'd probably consider Newcastle in England "home" so yeah loads of great bands came through particularly when I was into heavier stuff in my late teens and early 20's.

Ive seen Motorhead, Hawkwind, AC/DC, Groundhogs, Rolling Stones, Queen, Atomic Rooster in Newcastle.

Of those I'd probably consider Atomic Rooster and Hawkwind the proggiest.

Of my favorites I don't think Univers Zero ever played there or Henry Cow, Cardiacs probably did play there but I didn't know them then.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 03 2019 at 15:21
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 16:33
Djam Karet are one of my favorite bands, and I've had the pleasure of seeing them play three different times roughly an hour-and-change from where I live.

Blue Oyster Cult has played in the vicinity (minutes away by car) a couple times, but I missed them the last time due to a scheduling conflict. 

Apart from that, I've seen many other bands around SoCal, like Rush, ELP, Tangerine Dream, Yes, ABWH, Queensryche, Daemonia, and four different prog rock festivals.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 16:43
Yes, performed in my home town in 2009 (with Benoît David on vocals).  They performed at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, New Jersey.  Asia was the opening act.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 16:55
I have a recollection of winning tickets from a radio station to go see ELP at Wonderland Gardens in my hometown of London Ontario when I was an early teen. My folks wouldn't let me go because...well...it was a rock concert. Although I have never found a tour list that shows them playing there around that time.

In the end, I was able to many great acts in London including...
- Rush with Symphonic Slam opening, Centennial Hall
- Genesis, (first Trick of the Tale concert) London Arena
- Strawbs, Alumni Hall at the University of Western Ontario
- Gino Vanelli with Chris DeBurgh opening, Same Venue UWO
- ASIA, their first ever concert Same Venue UWO
- Yes, John Labbat Centre
-Trans Siberian Orchestra, (ok, maybe not GREAT, but a spectacle for sure) Labbat Centre
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 17:01
I just realized the real test of this thread really should be the obscurity or relatively small size of your town. Anyone living in Toronto, Montreal, New York, LA,Paris etc. is bound to have had there fave band play in town. For my part, in 1974 London had a population of around 225,000.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 17:42
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I just realized the real test of this thread really should be the obscurity or relatively small size of your town. Anyone living in Toronto, Montreal, New York, LA,Paris etc. is bound to have had there fave band play in town. For my part, in 1974 London had a population of around 225,000.

I'm pretty sure London had a population of around 7,000,000 in the 70's.

I used Newcastle for my reference as no-one has ever played Guisborough, North Yorkshire, population 7,500.
Ian

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 18:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I'm pretty sure London had a population of around 7,000,000 in the 70's.

I used Newcastle for my reference as no-one has ever played Guisborough, North Yorkshire, population 7,500.

I think he's referring to the London in Canada, not England.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 22:34
I know he is, I'm being facetious.
Ian

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 09:55
Jethro Tull eventually made to El Salvador and played in the capital city, San Salvador, where I was born. I was not living there anymore, I now live in California, so I miss them, but my brother was there, and said he had a great time. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I know he is, I'm being facetious.
I got it, but facetiousness, like sarcasm doesn't really translate all that well in print. Maybe a goofy icon might have helped. Wacko
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 06:45
My home town (Hornchurch in Essex) only has a couple of music venues. One is a theatre that only really has tribute bands and I've seen "Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Steely Dan and Madness" there.
We have one other small venue that takes around 120 people and I saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash play Argus there last year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>