Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grace Vanderwaal's new direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldri7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grace Vanderwaal's new direction
    Posted: September 04 2019 at 21:51
Hello. I've not been in this forum for many years. Is anyone here a fan of 15 yo singer songwriter Grace Vanderwaal?  seems she would have some prog fans - I'm a long time prog fan and I love her music. Anyway, if you don't know her she won Americas Got Talent at age 12yo and quickly earned the label of a songwriting prodigy. Three years later, she is evolving and growing, and her music reflects an incredible appetite for all genres of popular music.  

Which leads me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6Z7_j3aKE&feature=em-comments

her latest song (called Poser) debuted just a few days ago.    

OK, once again Grace is only 15 yo. and while this may not be prog rock it is as progressive a sound as I've heard from her. Clearly she is growing, and knowing what I know about her, including her fondness for 70's music - what are the chances that she could veer more and more in a prog direction? There is lots of competition - jazz, chill, blues, pop, folk - she crosses genres easily. But I was totally smitten by this latest song, especially the first 2/3 of it. It all depends on where her heart lies. So but I am just throwing this out there in case anyone wants to comment. Grace says she is still searching for her sound. OK, so now she loves the 70's, wears bell bottoms, covers the Turtles and Billy Joel and.......is it time for someone to introduce her to King Crimson? 

Edited by aldri7 - November 29 2019 at 10:07
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldri7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 01:16
I see my first post landed with a thud. OK, let me try again. Since i last wrote, Grace has released a new EP called letters Vol 1. Here is the first track, an intro that is quite progressive albeit short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb00zUDwHl0

Not bad for a 15 yo. I don't even know where to begin or what to compare it to. There is a lot of talk among Grace fans about her sound and the experimental direction she appears to be headed at times. 

On another note, it appears Grace will be touring the UK next year, and possibly other countries in Europe.
I know she has a lot of fans in the UK. Perhaps a few even visit this forum :)

Edited by aldri7 - November 29 2019 at 19:55
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 04:58
Thanks, pal - listening now

(really "grown-up" music, what a surprise - and somewhat progressive as you say)
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldri7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 10:04
Thanks! If you liked Gucci Shoes, you might also try "Moonlight" and "Florets" off of her "Just the Beginning" album and "The City" off of Letters Vol 1. She was only 13 when she wrote and performed the first two songs. And the City evokes the 70's a little. Youtube and Spotify has them all.

Edited by aldri7 - November 29 2019 at 13:35
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 14:21
My wife and I watched in amazement when she was on America's Got Talent in 2016. That she was writing her own music & lyrics at that point reflects her immense underlying talent. I don't know how "proggy" she'll become, but if Leslie Hunt can take the reigns of District 97 after her stint on American Idol, then maybe there's hope that Grace will follow.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldri7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 18:26
Several of Graces more recent songs go in a slightly chill direction ("UR so Beautiful" and "Poser" off the Letters EP, "You'll Get Bored" (unreleased but a live version is on youtube, and another unreleased song recently performed live in San Diego called "Overrated").

There are many instances where I'll get off the prog bus to go and listen to something a little more chill. And progressive chill satisfies my needs for prog without having my senses obliterated by a really heavy guitar sound (I know, thats only some prog, not all.....). 

Edited by aldri7 - January 27 2021 at 18:08
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldri7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 19:05
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

My wife and I watched in amazement when she was on America's Got Talent in 2016. That she was writing her own music & lyrics at that point reflects her immense underlying talent. I don't know how "proggy" she'll become, but if Leslie Hunt can take the reigns of District 97 after her stint on American Idol, then maybe there's hope that Grace will follow.

I kinda missed this post earlier and just checked out Leslie Hunt's (District 97) song "Snow Country". Great Song! I absolutely do believe there is hope for Grace, and I only wish everyone here could hear the song she debuted last month called "Rage". Unfortunately, it was performed live (at Interlochen Arts Acadamy) and her label requested it be taken off line. Rage and Snow Country bear some cool similarities in that they are both lyrical/harmonically dense while also being edgy/grunge. Grace IF SHE WANTED TO could front a prog band just as Leslie did. Both as former American Talent Show contestants too. Anyone who only thinks of Grace as that cute little girl playing the ukulele are seriously mistaken. Some of her music (including Rage) has been compared to Radiohead. She just now turned 17 - she has plenty of time! If only there was a link to Rage, but here is a tantalizing peak and reaction video (without music or visuals), where Grace's new direction and Rage are heatedly debated. Check it out. The reactor did not like it...but he was soundly overruled in the comments section. Graces has quality fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6Dds-S404&t=436s

EDIT: I forgot to add - many of the older Grace fans I talk with on another website are dedicated classic prog lovers like me. Her dad was a Supertramp fan. So, I think some prog may be in her blood, but at this point, it is too early to tell. Again, she also is clearly interested in a more chill/jazzy sound.

Edited by aldri7 - January 27 2021 at 19:56
 Post Reply Post Reply