Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Prog Albums that Aren't Really Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 02:52
There are two things I have to say about this topic:

First: My definition of "prog" is very broad, so there won't be many I could name. I am not even certain there are any.

Second, and much more important: I don't give a rat's arse how music is categorized as long as I like it.

Edited by BaldFriede - September 11 2019 at 16:06

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 05:25
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

First: My definition of "prog" is very broad, so there won't be many I could name. I am not even certain there are any.

Second, and much more important: I don't give a rat's arse how music is categorized a long as I like it.

Agreed to a point ... for example, I have no quarrel with a period of music being called "romantic", or "baroque", for example, and for me, the history of music, even though it likely does not mention or show enough composers from other places, has a much better take on the definitions and designs of music, than what a bunch of folks that did not know music, or its history ... came up with for "progressive" ... specially when the word "progressive" fits the history of music for the past 500 years ... when an "orchestra did not exist in the 1500's and in the 1800's and beyond, the orchestra got huge, which changed music and made it "progressive" ... until the mid 1900's when the orchestra got broken up in different parts and people did whatever they could think of with it, that did not sound like Beethoven or Tchaikovsky! 

My main issue, as one of the worst examples of some designations is "symphonic", when for all intents and purposes almost all the long pieces by most bands were symphonic in nature ... which tells you that the folks that created this "style" did not know what a symphony was, and neither did they respect the use of the word in the history of music. On top of it, the worst part, is that some folks, even here, admit that some long pieces are merely two or three songs linked together ... and if you did that in your symphony 200 years ago, you would be considered an idiot and not a composer! 

So, in this sense, a lot of the "prog" listing is not really prog and should be removed, but I would feel safer/better if the term "prog/progressive" got removed altogether! And that we try to match these things up to a historical content ... so it makes sense ... not a song out of the blue that has no link to anything, which very few musicians are capable of doing, and we usually don't like them ... too much improvisation, and a guy just hitting 2 stix on a cement mixer ... wow! That's progressive!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 06:10
To go back to the original post....OM is not prog......or any goodTongue
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 15:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Second, and much more important: I don't give a rat's arse how music is categorized a long as I like it.
I'll second that.  I'm a big tenter when it comes to what I consider prog.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 17:21
Bands evolve and change their style which is why I am not a fan of categorising bands as the category might only apply to 20% of their discography. I actually think some music from bands deemed to be non-prog is more prog than some prog bands releases (if you know what I mean). It just highlights the flaw in pigeonholing some bands. If I had to categorise music, I’d be more comfortable categorising individual albums or even tracks rather than the bands themselves.

Some of the tracks on the early Stranglers albums I consider to be rather progressive.
Rattus Norvegicus has ‘Down in the Sewer’ a longish track with several sections.
The albums ‘Black and White’ and ‘the Raven’ also have their moments.

Categories could be a good way to describe music, and help people to discover new stuff, but in the end I either like it or I don’t. They are my main categories.

Edited by enigma - September 11 2019 at 17:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123