Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggers that Nobody Hates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proggers that Nobody Hates
    Posted: September 08 2019 at 18:42
You always hear of people who don't like Phil Collins or Steve Howe for "ruining the band". It's not uncommon to see people say they think Roger Waters or Steven Wilson are arrogant. So I thought it would be funny to make a thread of people who seem to be universally liked by every prog fan.

The first names that come to mind for me are:

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 18:48
I agree with your list but also:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

As you can see with some of these being dead has it's advantages. ;)

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:03
Everybody seems to like Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright and Nick Mason. 

Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:20
I've never heard of anyone who says s/he doesn't like John Myung of Dream Theater.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

There’s def people who hate SW, maybe some Emerson haters among the critics
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 23:21
There are people who like Peter Hammill's voice. There are people who dislike Peter Hammill's voice. But everyone seems to like Peter Hammill as a person.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 23:52
Tony Banks doesn't get off scot free either. His dispute with Hackett helped ruin the band in many eyes.

Greg Lake (RIP) was a bit of a 'control freak' and didn't seem to like a lot of Emerson's ideas yet wasn't exactly a fountain of new ideas himself. I would have put Carl Palmer on the list who seems a genuinely relaxed and nice guy who just became weary of Emerson's and Lake's bickering.

Peter Gabriel seems reasonable. He made the sensible decision to leave rather than deal with Banks and Hackett.

Nick Mason - yep harmless and seemed to distant himself from the whole Waters/Wright/Gilmour headbutting.

Steven Wilson - lol , surely a joke?

As a band I would put Rush well up there. All three have supported each other like a family and I don't remember anyone questing their personalities. Of course Lifeson has been in trouble with the authorities but it doesn't seem to have come back on him too much, helps he's a charming bloke!

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:47

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

I'll take a pass on Steven Wilson . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:14
Peter Gabriel
Peter Hammill
Kate Bush
Andy Latimer
Gilmour, Wright & Mason
Syd Barrett
John Wetton
Carl Palmer
Alan Holdsworth
Rick Wakeman
John Mitchell
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:50
Tony Banks doesn't get off scot free either. His dispute with Hackett helped ruin the band in many eyes.

Banks is my fav keyboardist--I consider him a real genius---but his arrogance with Steve and dismissive attitude is very childish. Years ago Steve asked him to play on a solo album--he said yes and then cancelled at the last minute. Plus he won't play with Steve in any reunion unless Peter was there too. We all know that the 4 of them--sans Peter--- produced amazing music and concerts . 

Steve Hackett is all round great guy--and much beloved by his fans who he is very friendly to.

Edited by twosteves - September 09 2019 at 22:01
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 08:05
I would  add Steve Hackett and Martin Barre and Carl Palmer to the list. Some people might not like them, but not really hate them. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:54
I know for certain nobody "hates" Wendy Carlos and Vangelis.
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 15:05
Daevid Allen, can't go wrong with him
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 15:22
Thought I would weigh in on some of the members of Triumvirat that I know something about...

Juergen Fritz-I acknowledge him to be a musical genius, no less, but he seems to be totally oblivious to the value of Triumvirat, hasn't lifted a finger in promotion of the band in any way for decades, and it seems like he could care less!

Helmut Koellen-it has been over 40 years since he died, and some people who knew him say they still miss him very much. His surviving sister still loves him dearly, I know that for a fact.

Hans Bathelt-I have heard from someone who dealt with him about Triumvirat that he is an incredibly nice person to deal with.

Barry Palmer-I have communicated with him directly, and he is a pretty nice and down to earth bloke. Couldn't imagine someone hating him! 

Edited by presdoug - December 08 2019 at 18:38
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would have put Carl Palmer on the list who seems a genuinely relaxed and nice guy who just became weary of Emerson's and Lake's bickering.

So let's back this up with some cold hard facts shall we??

First concert of the original ASIA tour, London Ontario, I go early to the venue and smooze my way in for the soundcheck. Brought along the debut LP sleeve with the band pictures on it for signing. Long story short...Carl and I have a brief but lovely discussion about my deep love of everything ELP, he graciously signs the cover and then while he's tuning his drums he asks my advice on the tuning of his toms.

Geoff Downes was equally accommodating, after signing the sleeve I mention to him that I'm a soundman for a keyboard oriented band, he literally grabs my arm and hauls me up on stage to show me his Fairlight, showing it off like a kid at christmas. Super nice guy.

Now...Mr Howe, a bit of an snot IMHO and Mr. Wetton was just indifferent.

So, absolutely YES. Carl Palmer is a genuinely nice guy.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

There’s def people who hate SW, maybe some Emerson haters among the critics

There's people who hate Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford too but I figured if you had them on your list I could have SW and KE. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 09 2019 at 17:16
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:33
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

You always hear of people who don't like Phil Collins or Steve Howe for "ruining the band". It's not uncommon to see people say they think Roger Waters or Steven Wilson are arrogant. So I thought it would be funny to make a thread of people who seem to be universally liked by every prog fan.

The first names that come to mind for me are:

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason

I don't like Tony Banks and Jon Anderson very much (I talk about them as musicians, not persons). Mason? Hmmm so and so.

I really do like Gabriel and Bruford... Bruford is one of the best drummer ever.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 09 2019 at 20:59
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 17:36

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

I dont like Wetton (as singer) very much and I cant stand Emerson and Palmer  for their excessive virtuosity.

I love Squire and Lake.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 09 2019 at 21:03
"Happiness is real only when shared"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 18:36
I love Danger Money. Now if only that Emerson, Wetton & Palmer album had happened! (:
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I know for certain nobody "hates" Wendy Carlos and Vangelis.

apart from Tony Palmer Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>