Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replace One

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace One
    Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:08
Pick an album by one of your favourite bands, with tracks you mostly enjoy. Remove one song, then take one of your least favorite albums by said band and replace the removed song with one song from that album. You can change track order if necessary.

e.g.

Dark Side of the Moon - "On the Run" replaced with "Burning Bridges" from Obscured by Clouds (some segue repair required lol)

Clutching at Straws - "White Russian" replaced by "Jigsaw" from Fugazi

Edited by Howard the Duck - September 09 2019 at 06:09
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:23
what's the point of this? 
I don't get it. Confused
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:52
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Clutching at Straws - "White Russian" replaced by "Jigsaw" from Fugazi

My two favorite Marillion albums. Wink
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:13
I'd replace "Wondering" from World Record with "Still Life" from Still Life, but I'd probably make "Meurglys III, The Songwriter's Guild" the last track. I'm not sure where I'd place "Still Life".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:30
I'd replace "Providence" from Red with "The Talking Drum" from Larks' Tongues In Aspic.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:41
^^^^ Some rambling thoughts as is my wont.

"Understanding is nothing else than conception caused by speech" (Thomas Hobbes).

Life is like broken pencil, pointless. I find the exercise clear enough, and have done such things with mix-tapes in my youth. My point was to create a tape of music that I altogether loved.

On a more generally philosophical note: Just go with the flow, or flow elsewhere is often my motto. I've come to the conclusion that one must bring one's own meaning to the seeming madness of life, the universe, and everything, or at least bring one's own sense of purpose to various proceedings.

As illustrated by the OP, I probably would also choose Dark Side on the Moon, but "Money" would be the obvious one to replace for me. I guess I'll replace it for this exercise with "The Gunner's Dream" off of The Final Cut.

I really like Obscured by Clouds, otherwise I'd choose from that or More (Cirrus Minor).

And I'll try Comus. Taking my favourite by Comus, First Utterance, I'll replace "Bitten" from it (I wouldn't want to remove it as its creepy atmosphere works beautifully in the context), and I'll replace it with the song "To Keep From Crying" from the album To Keep From Crying (but it wouldn't really fit well as First Utterance works as a sort of concept album -- I'd put it at the the end of the album which might work as some strange coda or epilogue like thing).

Both of those changes would actually lessen the albums for me.

I'll try replacing a Magma Kobaia track with one off Merci, but again it definitely would not improve Kobaia, and in fact would mar it -- nah, cant do it, love the whole thing and the flow too much.

I'll have to give this more thought, as I can't right now think of any that quite work for me, but of my choices, the Comus change works best for me. Even if I wouldn't actually do it now with mix tapes or CD-R's, it works as a neat thought experiment and mental challenge for me (but then I'm mentally challenged enough as it is, one might say).

Edited by Logan - September 09 2019 at 13:47
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Both of those changes would actually lessen the albums for me.

In the case of VdGG, I didn't choose my favourite album or my least favourite album. I certainly would not replace any track from Pawn Hearts with any track from ALT. Wacko

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 14:11
Umm... perhaps replace Battle of Epping Forest from Selling England with In the Cage. Though it would work better if it were to replace it with The Knife.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:39
Brain Salad Surgery - remove Benny The Bouncer and put in the song Brain Salad Surgery from Works 2. They could and should have done this!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 01:57
Rainbow Rising... replace do you close your eyes with Kill The King for LL RnR and you've got the perfect album

Replace More Fool Me in SEBTP with Twilight Alehouse (from the single)
Replace Love To Love You on ITOG&P with A Day In The Life of Maurice Haylett (from the single)

and you've got two more perfect albums
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 11:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Brain Salad Surgery - remove Benny The Bouncer and put in the song Brain Salad Surgery from Works 2. They could and should have done this!

Ditto that.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 12:10
I started with Rush, but realized I'd be pulling a song from a later album and replacing a song on an early album, and the sound/style difference would just be to jarring.  So I'm doing multiple Rush entries by phase.

From their first bloc of 4:
Start with 2112 - Replace Tears with Bastille Day from Caress of Steel

From their second bloc of 4 (although there was nothing remotely bad about any of these albums):
Start with Permanent Waves (although every song on this album is a winner) and replace Vital Signs with Entre Nous from Permanent Waves, the only marginal lesser of the greats)

From their third bloc of 4:
Start with Signals and replace Countdown with The Enemy Within from Grace Under Pressure

From the fourth bloc of 4: 
Start with Test for Echo and replace The Color of Right with Cold Fire from Counterparts

From the remaining catalog:
Start with Clocwork Angels and replace BU2B2 with Ceiling Unlimited from Vapor Trails
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 15:36
Kate Bush comes to mind for this kind of thing, the "least favourite albums" still have all kinds of good stuff and even the best have one or two I could do without. Revisiting, I find that I have reasonably warmed to Leave It Open from The Dreaming and that in my view The Big Sky (which I hated for quite some time) now dominates the title track  Hounds of Love, so I'll replace Hounds of Love from the Hounds of Love album (can I still keep the name??) with And So Is Love from The Red Shoes, which for a "worst album" is spectacularly adventurous and multi-faceted... gotta listen to it more! Seriously, has anyone else produced a remotely as good worst album? (Not counting obviously those who only have one album Wink)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 16:40
Love Kate Bush, good one. MY favourites are probably The Kick Inside, Hounds of Love and The Dreaming. I'll do The Kick Inside. For fun, I'll replace "L'Amour Looks Something Like You" with "Wow" from Lionheart, and I'll put it in the track 8 position, and for added fun, I'll rename "Wow" "L'Amour Looks Something Like Vaseline".

Edited by Logan - September 13 2019 at 16:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 00:36
Kate Bush - yep although the real gem from The Red Shoes is Moments Of Pleasure imo. I would put that onto HOL and take away … oh damn there isn't anything as it's perfect!!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 22:07
Yes - Fragile: Replace "Cans and Brahms" with "Madrigal". Rick still gets to show off his classical chops, and Fragile could use a few more actual songs.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Umm... perhaps replace Battle of Epping Forest from Selling England with In the Cage. Though it would work better if it were to replace it with The Knife.

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I'd replace "Providence" from Red with "The Talking Drum" from Larks' Tongues In Aspic.

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Yes - Fragile: Replace "Cans and Brahms" with "Madrigal". Rick still gets to show off his classical chops, and Fragile could use a few more actual songs.

These are all some great choices! (Some of the others I can't comment on yet because I'm not as familiar with some of the albums.)

Btw the "best vs worse" album thing was just a guideline - feel free to pick any album by the band you choose.

Edited by Howard the Duck - September 15 2019 at 08:03
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 20:59
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Actually, for me the perfect replacement on Fragile for "Cans and Brahms" would have been Cahterine of Aragon, which I understand Wakeman actually wrote for Fragile, and even features just about the whole Yes line-up, but wasn't able to use it because of the recording companies. Yet, of course, 6 Wives isn't nearly the worst album, either from Wakeman, nor compared with the Yes discography.
 Post Reply Post Reply