Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [61.11%]
14 [38.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Sience to Somewhere vs Hybris
    Posted: September 10 2019 at 06:23
Two very significant modern prog albums. But I definitely gotta vote for Wobbler. There are 3 main reasons.

1: the vocals are 100x better on FSTS, I’d say the vocals on Hybris are borderline poor
2: The song structure is a lot better on FSTS. The songs all naturally flow while on Hybris I feel like they just go from one idea to another
3: better melodies and better production.

Hybris is certainly very influential, I’d argue I get Anglagard vibes every now and then on FSTS, but overall I’d say it’s stronger
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 06:56
love both but

Hybris for me
Prog On!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 07:28
Hybris is modern?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Hybris is modern?

I consider modern prog to be 90s forward, not that modern anymore I suppose
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:05
Hybris all the way.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:42
Going with Wobbler . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 11:52
Really tough choice between two outstanding albums.  

I'm not sure I'd say FSTS vocals are good enough to give them an obvious not in that department.
Regarding melodies, FSTS is definitely more melodic, but hooky melodies don't make the better song for me.

In the end, I just find Hybris more musically interesting.  It flows quite well for me and I can really keep my teeth sunk into it from start to finish.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:33
Hybris 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Hybris is modern?

I consider modern prog to be 90s forward, not that modern anymore I suppose

"Modern" can seem/ be a very arbitrary term, sometimes it means very recent, sometimes it just means post-ancient, and how ancient is ancient? Modern "Art Music" is often considered to be from 1900 up. I took a "modern history" course which started with the Renaissance. I would also tend to use modern prog to prefer to post-80s music, as I see that as being something of a modern era of Prog, but it would depend on the context. Classic Prog for me tends to refer to the late 60s through the mid to late 70s. Anyway, it's a relative term, and it depends on what one is comparing it to.

The OED's first description in one version is "Relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past." How recent is recent, and how remote is the remote past? It's relative, but according to one site, the remote past, or at least remote past tense, refers to a time considered more than a few days ago.. In the remote past, which was at least six days ago and certainly sometime after the birth of our universe, which was 13.772 billion years ago, or about 6000 years ago according to some Creationists, I ate a sandwich. It was quite good, if a little dry.

I think of thirteen years ago as pretty recent (modern times to me), but for my 12 year old son, that's more than a lifetime ago. I can seem to remember more vividly some events in my life from the 70s than events from yesterday, but those were more memorable, and those memories have been reconstructed many times over the years.   

But I digress. No vote, I have only properly listened to Hybris (last listened to it over a decade ago and while I used to love it, I went off it). I did play much of that Wobbler streaming, but despite enjoying some elements, it didn't really work for me. I'm not much of a Symphonic Prog fan to begin with, and there are very few post-classic era bands included in Symphonic Prog that I have heard and enjoyed.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2019 at 17:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:11
Wobbler.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:57
Wobbler.........
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:38
Hybris, easily, one of my favourite prog albums after the 70's... and even including the 70's.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 17:12
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Going with Wobbler . . .
I second that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 00:42
Hybris definitely. Maybe A Drop of Light v Hybris might be interesting as I'm not sure which way I would go on that. BTW Par Lindh Project's first 3 albums are better than anything Wobbler have ever done imo. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 02:17
Wobbler.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 09:30
Wobbler by far. 

The vocals on Hybris? Yuck!!! So glad they went instrumental after the debut.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 10:44
From Silence to Somewhere - Wobbler

After much consideration, I chose "From Silence to Somewhere" to answer the question that was posed to me by a colleague: What is Progressive Rock? I consider this album to be perfect from start to finish. It's not particularly groundbreaking, but what they do they do masterfully. 

By contrast, "Hybris" is not even my favourite Änglagĺrd album. However, I'm not sure how I would vote in a "Viljans Öga" versus "From Silence to Somewhere" poll.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 15:57
Wobbler
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 00:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Wobbler by far. 

The vocals on Hybris? Yuck!!! So glad they went instrumental after the debut.

I did wonder if the vocals on Hybris are a problem for some. I really like them and adds another dimension for me. Viljans Oga was just very average and showed zero progression in all that time imo.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 00:57
Love both albums. Hybris was more groundbreaking when it came out, it went against the tide of the moment, but overall I prefer FSTS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>