Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lamb vs Trick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [51.32%]
37 [48.68%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

(Along with Foxtrot) those are my favorite Genesis LP's but I vote for The Lamb.

My #2 album of all time.

What is your #1 of all time?
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 02:50

Interesting poll.  Trick is Genesis' #1 album for me.
Wow just came back to this poll and it is a tie! Maybe the way it should be for two great albums  

Edited by tdfloyd - September 27 2019 at 05:18
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 03:05
nice poll, don't know what to pick. LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 11:27
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Gabriel's last or Collins first. Which Genesis do you like better?

I honestly think that this material was already in the making and that it would have been PG's voice on them a year later ... but ended up being Collins's voice ... more than likely because it was closer to the style that the band wanted, and they thought they would not need to get a new singer.

I think that LAMB is better and the best, and while TRICK has some very nice things and in Santa Barbara I can tell you that Guy Guden played it a lot (I think that the others in the station didn't play it much!!!! Too artsy for them!)

I say that it was likely material that was already being worked on, because after that the material really changed and was not as strong to my ears, in both the music department and in the lyric department ... which suggests that TRICK had some PG in it ... and the rest of the material didn't.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 01:33
It never really occurred to me that there was any real PG influence on Trick given that it was so different to Lamb. I do think that W&W was a notch down from Trick although I suspect that was more to do with Hackett and Banks not seeing eye to eye so it all became a bit fractured and 'unfocused' to my ears.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 08:25
In my humble opinion, Trick can't hold a candle to Lamb. In terms of musicianship (and arguably songwriting, except for maybe Supper's Ready) it's their artistic peak as far as I'm concerned (but probably not their peak in terms of production/mastering).

Trick for me has a solid string of songs from Mad Man Moon to Ripples, but the rest is largely sub-par for me (and Squonk is one of my all-time least favorite songs by the band).

Imo a fairer poll might be Trespass vs. Trick (and I wouldn't vote for Trick even then :P)

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

How can disc 1 be better when anyway and slipper are the best tracks?  
Back in NYC

Back in nyc is horrible imo.

Some of the NYC covers reveal it to be a pretty great song:

The same can even be said of Squonk - I don't mind some of the covers as much as the original. (I think both are Rutherford compositions also.) I just really enjoy Peter's delivery on the original, even if the song itself might not be that amazing otherwise.

Edited by Howard the Duck - September 15 2019 at 08:38
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 00:11
Trick was a big departure from everything they had done before and that is quite understandable. Trick displays a lot of muscle and Rutherford's use of Taurus bass pedals on Squonk is a particular highlight of the album for me (my hi-fi loves that track!). The only slightly weak moment is Robbery, Assault and Battery which again indulges Collins a bit too much with the cheeky Cockney persona he seemed to be cultivating at the time. Still not a bad track though and the drumming from Collins is as good as it gets! Genesis really went up a notch as a live band and that was where much of their late seventies success stemmed from ( not so attributable to 'hits' as is often assumed) . Of course there will always be a lot of affection for the Gabriel era and it would be strange if there wasn't but I've always preferred my prog to have bombast and balls rather than clever literary references!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 00:23
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

In my humble opinion, Trick can't hold a candle to Lamb. In terms of musicianship (and arguably songwriting, except for maybe Supper's Ready) it's their artistic peak as far as I'm concerned (but probably not their peak in terms of production/mastering).

Trick for me has a solid string of songs from Mad Man Moon to Ripples, but the rest is largely sub-par for me (and Squonk is one of my all-time least favorite songs by the band).

Imo a fairer poll might be Trespass vs. Trick (and I wouldn't vote for Trick even then :P)

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

How can disc 1 be better when anyway and slipper are the best tracks?  
Back in NYC

Back in nyc is horrible imo.

Some of the NYC covers reveal it to be a pretty great song:

The same can even be said of Squonk - I don't mind some of the covers as much as the original. (I think both are Rutherford compositions also.) I just really enjoy Peter's delivery on the original, even if the song itself might not be that amazing otherwise.

I heard another good cover of Back In NYC by a band called Tin Spirits who probably deserve a bit more love and recognition.

Squonk has to be one of the most plagiarised tracks in prog (after Entangled!) Trick practically laid down the neo prog playbook! 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 20:17
The Lamb. Best album ever. Side 3 is the best.

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Love disc one of The Lamb... In the Cage is the highlight for me. Disc two does not maintain the quality... The Waiting Room, really? Not a song, just noise. Several other songs on disc two seem like filler to me.
The Waiting Room is Prog. It’s what Prog is all about. Experimentation; Not being constrained by conventional structure, making creative use of new timbres. King Crimson recorded something similar with Providence from Red the very same year.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 14:33
My favourite Genesis album overall is the first one, "From Genesis To Revelation", produced by Jonathan King. My choice for this poll is "Trick of the Tail", mainly because it includes one of my favourite Genesis songs, "Ripples". The poll is very evenly balanced at the moment with 36 votes for each album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 02 2019 at 14:37
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 04:43
Oh, it must be The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
A Trick of the Tail is a solid record, in my opinion a bit more advanced and interesting then subsequent Wind & Wuthering... and I definitely like how Genesis comes back to Lewis Carroll days on ATOTT album cover. But Lamb has too much quality material and isn't as saccharine as later releases... it's also more adventurous.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:32
The Lamb
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123