Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eloy Is AMAZING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eloy Is AMAZING
    Posted: September 13 2019 at 02:02
What an awesome, awesome band! I've always listened, but I never gave their entire discography the attention it deserves...

...Until recently! Holy hell! Ocean and especially Planets are still my faves, but I had NO idea how over these guys were in the early 70's (lots of sales apparently). The fretless bass work, production, and synth are perfect.

Let's discuss this awesome classic German prog band in detail, shall we? Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 07:20
one of my favorite bands for sure.  Like no other band, their discography from 1972-1982 is more like a journey than a mere series of albums.  Two favorites are Dawn and Time to Turn, but Planets, Colors, and Ocean are all close behind
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 08:58
Listened to oceans while high, 10/10 recommend. 5 star album
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 10:42
1979 is my favourite; everything before is too jammy, everything after is too poppy. Alright, 1980 and 1982 are good but not great (like 1979)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 10:44
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

What an awesome, awesome band! I've always listened, but I never gave their entire discography the attention it deserves...

...Until recently! Holy hell! Ocean and especially Planets are still my faves, but I had NO idea how over these guys were in the early 70's (lots of sales apparently). The fretless bass work, production, and synth are perfect.

They're amazing, and they've still got it all these years later. They were Germany's #1 rock band until the Scorpions took the title.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 15:43
The bass, the bass, oh the bass! (And the drums! And the sound! The vocals rather not...)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 00:14
I wish there was more footage of them playing live , especially around 1982. I have a DVD and they were easily the best band in the world at that time. A very German band in all the best ways. Technically precise to the nth degree. Even the very recent stuff is not terrible just a bit patchy but as said up to 1982 is their classic period. I like the idea of it being a journey. 
Trippy - Inside and Floating
Psyche/Symph - Power and the Passion/Dawn/Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Pure Symph - Ocean
Spacey - Colours/Planets/Time To Turn

Metromania is also good although they were heading in a more basic commercial rock direction at that time finally reaching it on Performance in 1984 which is not so good. The band pretty much ended at that point although Bornemann has resurrected it many times usualy with Klaus Peter Matziol and random others. Tides Turn Forever and Ocean II of the later period are the best.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 03:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The bass, the bass, oh the bass! (And the drums! And the sound! The vocals rather not...)

I'm a fretless 5 player myself, and I won't lie - the bass work here is what pulls me in most. It's, pardon my language, f**king excellent. The tone, production, his use of phrasing; he never oversteps his boundaries yet he's the driving force for the music. Exactly what I look for in prog rock. The bass and the synth work seamlessly.

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

one of my favorite bands for sure.  Like no other band, their discography from 1972-1982 is more like a journey than a mere series of albums.  Two favorites are Dawn and Time to Turn, but Planets, Colors, and Ocean are all close behind

Totally agreed! The synth and production on Planets is absolutely perfect IMHO. I've listened to all these albums since roughly 2008/2009ish, but now that I'm a tad more experienced as both a listener AND musician (fretless bass), it "clicks" on a new level with me. This sh*t is stellar on all levels. Eloy is essentially the German Rush/UK w/e you want to compare them to.

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Listened to oceans while high, 10/10 recommend. 5 star album

Hilarious you say that, because I was high as hell last night blasting PLANETS, and messaged several local prog buddies ranting and raving about the experience LOL.

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

They're amazing, and they've still got it all these years later. They were Germany's #1 rock band until the Scorpions took the title.

WOW, I never knew that! That's actually quite impressive, and harkens back to my point about me being clueless of their popularity over there. That's HUGE!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wish there was more footage of them playing live , especially around 1982. I have a DVD and they were easily the best band in the world at that time. A very German band in all the best ways. Technically precise to the nth degree. Even the very recent stuff is not terrible just a bit patchy but as said up to 1982 is their classic period. I like the idea of it being a journey. 
Pure Symph - Ocean

Metromania is also good although they were heading in a more basic commercial rock direction at that time finally reaching it on Performance in 1984 which is not so good. The band pretty much ended at that point although Bornemann has resurrected it many times usualy with Klaus Peter Matziol and random others. Tides Turn Forever and Ocean II of the later period are the best.

I haven't even begun to YouTube any live footage, I've been mesmerized by the records! As a fretless bass player myself, I'm absolutely going to be looking more into Klaus. His work is stellar!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 08:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Pure Symph - Ocean

FYI Metromania came after Performance (1984 vs 1983).  I think both are relatively weak but both have some great moments.  Performance is a little better IMO.  I agree that Tides and Ocean II are the best since then.  I though "The Vision the Sword and the Pyre" was tied with Destinations for weakest.  But it did get great reviews for the most part
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 08:38
When I first heard the second half of "Poseidon's Creation" (from Ocean) on YouTube, I was totally blown away. I knew I had to have this album... stat!

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 09:34
I've seen them live twice in the eighties. Particularly the second gig (Performance tour 1984 or 1985) was very strong, one of the best I've seen. They had an extremely good stage sound, very powerful and direct, astonishingly "earthly" given their space themes, and the rhythm section with Matziol and Fritz Randow just absolutely killed it. It was a smaller venue, there wasn't much light show and stuff, and they were very direct and tight. The venue of the concert I had seen before (Planets/Time to Turn) was quite big, they had overestimated a bit how many would come (people were turning their backs on prog despite Eloy still selling fairly well in Germany) and they still did a lot with lights and projections, which was fine but created some distance between the band and the audience; two years later there would be much more interaction, and although I think Frank loved a bombastic show, just having the music without any distraction served them very well.

I've got to say though that after Performance (which is a mixed bag with some strong highlights) I couldn't get into their work anymore. Metromania is so-so with two tracks I really like, but I think Ra is diabolical, and afterwards OK, they still have a great sound and bass, but the compositions bore me, things tend to go on for much longer than the musical substance would support (there are instances of this among their earlier work as well), and by and large it spells "we want to revive our great times in the 70s/80s without the spark" to me, I'm afraid. Their best run in my view is Colors/Planets/Time to Turn, although when I was younger, I was more attracted to their earlier stuff between Inside and Silent Cries.

Some special credit should go to drummer Juergen Rosenthal who like Matziol had his own signature style and brought a lot to the band. Randow also was a very good drummer, hard rocking and solid, if not quite as unique as Rosenthal.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I've seen them live twice in the eighties. Particularly the second gig (Performance tour 1984 or 1985) was very strong, one of the best I've seen. They had an extremely good stage sound, very powerful and direct, astonishingly "earthly" given their space themes, and the rhythm section with Matziol and Fritz Randow just absolutely killed it. It was a smaller venue, there wasn't much light show and stuff, and they were very direct and tight. The venue of the concert I had seen before (Planets/Time to Turn) was quite big, they had overestimated a bit how many would come (people were turning their backs on prog despite Eloy still selling fairly well in Germany) and they still did a lot with lights and projections, which was fine but created some distance between the band and the audience; two years later there would be much more interaction, and although I think Frank loved a bombastic show, just having the music without any distraction served them very well.

I've got to say though that after Performance (which is a mixed bag with some strong highlights) I couldn't get into their work anymore. Metromania is so-so with two tracks I really like, but I think Ra is diabolical, and afterwards OK, they still have a great sound and bass, but the compositions bore me, things tend to go on for much longer than the musical substance would support (there are instances of this among their earlier work as well), and by and large it spells "we want to revive our great times in the 70s/80s without the spark" to me, I'm afraid. Their best run in my view is Colors/Planets/Time to Turn, although when I was younger, I was more attracted to their earlier stuff between Inside and Silent Cries.

Some special credit should go to drummer Juergen Rosenthal who like Matziol had his own signature style and brought a lot to the band. Randow also was a very good drummer, hard rocking and solid, if not quite as unique as Rosenthal.

agreed, and it might be precisely because those had shorter, punchier pieces that were rarely artificially elongated.  
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 12:00
For some reason, I really like their first two albums, Eloy and Inside, but after that, I have tried but have not had much success getting into their music. I realise that is pretty much out in left field, and have never heard of anybody with a similar outlook. I feel Inside is the best album they ever made! Quality German rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 16:59
Frank is one of the best guitarists you’ll hear. 73-83 Eloy is cool. I find Oceans the weakest of that era though. Too much filler time with synth and vocals only
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2019 at 17:07
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

For some reason, I really like their first two albums, Eloy and Inside, but after that, I have tried but have not had much success getting into their music. I realise that is pretty much out in left field, and have never heard of anybody with a similar outlook. I feel Inside is the best album they ever made! Quality German rock.

I think Inside is fantastic Doug, and Floating was a letdown after that.  The first album was a bit too raw for me, though I liked a few songs
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 02:25
HESITATION HINDERS; AND TAKES IT'S TOLL!
SWAYING AND FALLING; WITH NO CONTROL!
The elements...of the future...
Transcends into...aimlessness...

Klaus' bass work is on another level. He appears to play fretless with a pick...just like myself! I didn't think that combo existed elsewhere, ever. His sound is very prominent and his style is definitely above average.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 07:30

WOW, I never knew that! That's actually quite impressive, and harkens back to my point about me being clueless of their popularity over there. That's HUGE!

Surely Dawn, Ocean, Live and Silent Cries sold very well, and for some time they could sell out pretty big venues. The Live album is a good document of their most popular period. Not sure whether #1 rock band is accurate, but I can't think of anyone who did clearly better at the time (let's say Kraftwerk don't qualify as rock band).

Interestingly they were regularly slaughtered by the German music press, which made the band and particularly Frank very bitter at times. He regularly complained about this in interviews. Not sure whether you find any other band who was at the same time that successful and that hated by the home music press as Eloy in the second half of the seventies. The music magazines at that time wanted to be cool and forward looking and that meant from 1976 glam, punk or at best electronic. Eloy represented everything they were against. On top of that take Frank's German accent when singing in English... as I know very well of myself, Germans who want to feel international hate the German accent passionately, because this is what they want to get away from. (I have observed this in people from other countries as well such as Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, France... they all tend to hate their own accent most.)

I've got to say by the way that I'm not that keen on Frank's singing and many of the themes of their lyrics (Colours and Performance are best in that respect, in my opinion), and not even on his guitar playing. I was much more into that when I was much younger. On the other hand he clearly has always been the man with the vision and drive, and he comes over as a very warm accessible person live and in interviews. Certainly he always put 100% passion into everything he did, and I think among German musicians he is very well respected and has friendships with many (of the now older generation at least).

Edited by Lewian - September 15 2019 at 07:31
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 16:10

HESITATION HINDERS; AND TAKES IT'S TOLL!
SWAYING AND FALLING; WITH NO CONTROL!
The elements...of the future...
Transcends into...aimlessness...

Klaus' bass work is on another level. He appears to play fretless with a pick...just like myself! I didn't think that combo existed elsewhere, ever. His sound is very prominent and his style is definitely above average.

KPM plays fretted. Frank speaks very highly of his talent, and has said he's "second only to Geddy Lee."

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2019 at 16:11

He appears to play fretless with a pick...just like myself! I didn't think that combo existed elsewhere, ever. His sound is very prominent and his style is definitely above average.

Tony Franklin's main basses are fretless and he plays both fingerstyle and with a pick. Tony's one of the very best bassists out there. He's why we throw around colorful terms like "bass god"!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 06:07
Yes, I like Eloy very much indeed. 

Apart from the lyrics. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>