Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiatus (France) for RIO/Eclecic/Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiatus (France) for RIO/Eclecic/Fusion
    Posted: September 16 2019 at 12:16
Forgotten French band with one album released in 1984 and re-released in 1985 by Cryonic Inc. (label of Art Zoyd and other ambitious bands). 
Did it deserve that?
Answer is 100% yes! 

Loud bass, saxophone, electric piano + other keyboards, sinister guitar, jazzy fragments and a bit of strange/silly melodies but with ominous greyness and darkness.
It's difficult to describe this - it also has some Zeuhl elements (more in second half during altering sinister bass grooves in 'Rock Saoudite').

It's lost classic of 80s seeking new dimensions prog as logic continuation of conception of incredible French bands like Moving Gelatine Plates, Plat du Jour, Dun, Yog Sothoth (same year)
and should be mendioned together with Univers Zero, Present, Zamla and above mendioned groups.
(maybe it's big words, but I like this album from the first listen - it's the art to be consistent despite of this big number of elements/styles)

Avant-demain 1984

full album:

1. Bleu Outremer (7:13)
2. Meme Si (8:09)
3. Farfadet (6:15)
4. Dans L'Escalier (2:27)
5. Qui Vole Un Ouf Vole Un Ouf (11:14)
6. Rock Saoudite (12:38)

Arranged By – Hiatus
Artwork By [Painting] – A. Lajarthe
Bass – Pascal Gutman
Drums, Producer – Jean François Riviere
Guitar, Producer – Franck Marsicano
Keyboards, Producer – Stephane Deschamps
Tenor Saxophone, Producer – Abdoulaye Fall
Recorded and mixed at Studio Bob Mathieu, Montgeron, France.

funny fact:
Pascal Gutman played Chapman Stick on Karfagen's album Magician's Theater from 2014.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 14:44
It has been rejected 10 years ago. Without new material they can't be re-evaluated. Sorry.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 15:06
Is this the same band? Band rejected on ProgFreak is from Belgium, this Hiatus is from France.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 16:48
There certainly is a Belgian punk band called Hiatus, but would find it odd that that would be suggested for Avant Prog. I can't find another thread at PA for Hiatus (the French band), nor the conversation about its inclusion. Avestin mentioned it on a list back in 2006 as one that should be checked out at some time, but it seems it was added to Progfreak only as the Belgian one. Some mix-up, it seems.

This is the 80s Belgian Hiatus:

There may have been some confusion and the wrong band was checked. The French Hiatus is very good indeed, listened to it yesterday but didn't respond as I didn't want to sound too gushy, and I don't think this would be rejected so easily. This is one that I would definitely think, even if it missed out on one category, it would get move votes for other categories to try. It's a little like if Abus Dangereux met Jean-Paul Prat, plus the others listed. I'd put it in Avant Prog, and it has Zeuhl, JRF and an eclectic feel to it. Very nice Zeuhl touches to it.

My thought, unless we can be sure that this French one got properly evaluated or evaluated at all (rather than the Belgian one), we should give it another shot (better to feel safe that it was properly evaluated). Mistakes do happen, and I can think of some bands that were rejected then accepted later despite not having new material (probably because the wrong material was listened to the first time, but this band only has one album). I'm not sure what the exact rule on this is, but I don't think it's a solid rule that a band can't be evaluated again, even without new material,or checked by a different team if that team is unwilling to take it. If not being allowed to re-check a band is set-in-stone policy, perhaps that's one that we could revisit and possibly amend. In this case, though, I can't be sure if the right one got checked before.

This is the French Hiatus in embed form:

Whether it ever gets included or not, personally I hope it does and think it deserving, thanks for exposing me to a highly enjoyable album.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2019 at 17:03
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 17:06
In our early days (when I was not a collab) Hiatus have been suggested as a Zeuhl combo, so I consider French Hiatus have been rejected 10 years before.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 17:12
Are you positive that it was not the Belgian band that was checked?

I checked the old RIO/Avant thread earlier, but cannot be sure that the French one was checked rather than the Belgian as while I see it mentioned in Avestin's list, and one response to the list, I see no commentary on the artist specifically (I tried to be thorough). It seems odd to me that that this one would be so soundly rejected (no move votes or even prog related votes). In those days I was on the Eclectic team, and had it been passed to us, I would have voted yes. Generally an outright rejection equals not at all proggy (at least that's how I used the charts and we would give reasons for our rejections), but perhaps my ears are totally in error?

Edited by Logan - September 17 2019 at 17:18
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 17:17
Not perfectly positive, as you say. Embarrassed

Fine for us to recheck them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 17:23
Glad to hear it. I enjoyed the album very much; hope your team does too (mind you, French Prog has been a really big thing to me, so I get very excited about older albums from there that I somehow missed before). And any post that mentions Moving Gelatine Plates, Plat du Jour, Dun, Yog Sothoth, Univers Zero, Present, and Zamla is bound to get me excited (that's like me on a plate of the day).

Edited by Logan - September 17 2019 at 17:29
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 22:38
If the admins agree, I have no problems in evaluating it. I haven't listened to the material yet so I have no preconcepts
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 04:30
Not a punk band for sure LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 04:36
Well, I'm not sure about Zeuhl. What I hear is more jazz oriented. It makes me recall "Plat Du Jour" which is in Eclectic. 
It's a very good album. It deserves a place on PA but it's not Zeuhl IMO.
Eclectic or JR/F ?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 04:37
Anyway, I have created a new entry on PF: Hiatus (Fra) and added it to the chart.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 07:43
My YES 4 Zeuhl.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 12:51
My pleasure by the way! It's nice to initiate such a revival about this band.
As for the associations:
I didn't remember Abus Dangereux well, so I didn't mention it - but I will listen with great attention :)

From newer artists I hear that maybe Zwoyld is spiritual succesor of Hiatus (only it's louder and more rocking, but with various even humorous melodies in individual tracks and funny organ motives) for example:
"Jolitude"
(mysterious influence?)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 10:33
I know Zwoyld, good one.

It brought this 80s Jean-Paul Prat album to mind, but I guess that's more for the Zeuhl ingredient in both and a certain avant eclecticness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTEJnsG1kso
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 16:38
I also need to listen it carefully and the cover is interesting - like Silver Surfer blending into his board.
Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiny globe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 15:21
Time will tell if I become fond of french Hiatus, I found the belgian one immediately exciting with its "new-wave" distorted chorus guitar chords (I really enjoy that kind of tone ! ), never heard at same time as growling vocals
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:25
 Post Reply Post Reply