Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similar songs to Tarkus? (ELP)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar songs to Tarkus? (ELP)
    Posted: September 19 2019 at 13:35
I'm kind of obsessed with tarkus those days, could you give some songs that are similar? I'm getting bored with it..
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 13:41
How about Quill - Sursum Corda? The entire album is a single song in two movements. Another cool song that's very similar to Tarkus is: Fugitive by Duncan Mackay from the album Score.

Edited by Hrychu - September 19 2019 at 13:43
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Yo-yo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yo-yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 14:20
Wobbler - Hinterland. At least parts of it
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 14:53
Really?!?  I find Tarkus to be unmatched.. .in a category all its own.  heh LOL
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 15:11
Just curious, how do you quantify "similar"?
By length, theme, instrumentation?

The thing about Tarkus is that it is absolutely unique.
I suppose Triumvirat's Illusions on a Double Dimple might qualify, or perhaps Mediterranean Tales (Across the Water) might as well.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 15:14
I would like to know other songs that: are composed of movements, have their rhythm often changing, with ambitious sonritoes etc..
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 16:19
I already wrote this in the ELP poll elsewhere: The album "Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen" of Stern Meissen (from East Germany when it was still communist) is probably the best fit I know.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 18:48
See the ELP soundalike poll thread. Lot's of good suggestions in there especially Triumvirat. I recommend PLP also.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I would like to know other songs that: are composed of movements, have their rhythm often changing, with ambitious sonritoes etc..

Sonritoes?

Ça se goupille bien, I will definitely add it to my PA vocabulary.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 20:33
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Really?!?  I find Tarkus to be unmatched.. .in a category all its own.  heh LOL
I second This. Tarkus is one of a kind.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:51
So basically any Symphonic prog tracks that are 20 minutes or so?

Although not a ELP soundalike ( more Yes if anything) I would recommend the band Glass Hammer. Fred Schendel is extremely well versed with Emerson's stylings and you can hear a lot of that on the album Chronomotree. Also Disc One of The Inconsolable Secret is just 2 long tracks and is very tasty! 

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 02:24
^ Aye. Inconsolible secret, disc 1 The Knights...Veru good. Especially track 1...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 07:28
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I'm kind of obsessed with tarkus those days, could you give some songs that are similar? I'm getting bored with it..

Then go die away listening to Rachel Flowers do this piece on solo piano ... and if that doesn't grab you then watch her do this on organ ... and if that doesn't grab you ... I recommend going outside and listening and watching cars drive by! Wink

If you don't realize that is one of the great compositions by a great composer in the 20th century ... then ... just go ahead and go back to listening to rock'n'roll ... ELP/Keith simply isn't for you, I don't think! I imagine that you are just awestruck by its "ferocity" in the way that all 3 guys "attack" the music ... but watching this on Rachel's hands, defines this piece of music ... as a lot more ... rarely does ANY KIND OF MUSIC going back 500 years blast your imagination so far and so fast ... but I don't know if saying something like this on a fan board that seems to love top ten too much, is as valuable a comment on MUSIC as it needs to be. 

The FAN is NOT EVER the music!

Edited by moshkito - September 20 2019 at 07:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 08:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

If you don't realize that is one of the great compositions by a great composer in the 20th century ... then ... just go ahead and go back to listening to rock'n'roll ... ELP/Keith simply isn't for you,

You missed the point (again) - he said he was obsessed with it but has apparently played it to the point of getting bored with it so wants something similar. You could have just suggested Rachel Flowers without being abusive.

Edited by chopper - September 20 2019 at 08:56
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:12
^ You're probably asking too much of him.

Mosh is a pure spirit among ignorants and he knows what is good for us all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:25
I've already seen the Rachel's one and to be honest I prefer the Keith Emerson Band's Concertante one!

I do catch the sensibility of this music and how it's unique. But I was just asking if someone new some songs which would be almost as good as it but less known. I have some exemples of unknown prog songs that nearly exceeds some of the best songs by Genesis and was nothing but wondering if there was any song that could be the same.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:27
(Sorry for my English, I'm French...)
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I already wrote this in the ELP poll elsewhere: The album "Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen" of Stern Meissen (from East Germany when it was still communist) is probably the best fit I know.

Can you provide links to samples? I've searched multiple pages of Google and YouTube and have found only one sample...

Edited by wiz_d_kidd - September 20 2019 at 09:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:35
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Can you provide links to samples? I've searched multiple pages of Google and YouTube and have not found any samples of this album. (Yes, there are samples of other works by Stern Combo Meissen, but they don't sound anything like ELP).

I think I found it, but not so sure:

https://youtu.be/cjAm77wdmzc
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:38
^ Yes, found it (after my original post, which is now edited).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>