Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [46.25%]
37 [46.25%]
6 [7.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 11:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

From what I understand it was never GG's intention to "show off." They had the experience and musical knowledge to make intricate and interesting music and used their skills to do that. I used to think the same thing though that they were trying to upstage other bands and be better than everyone else and were like "hey, look at us" but then I spoke to someone who was a very big fan and he didn't think that was the case. I don't really think most musicians are about showing off anyway. I think that tends to be the fans perspective not the bands. I could be wrotg though. Who knows for sure.

I think you're right about not showing off, but I think the criticism of putting too much in they're songs still stands imo. They never gave their material room to breathe.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:04
jethro tull for me.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 13:13
Both made great albums, but I enjoy more listening to GG, they were more unique. And this even when I was familiar with Tull much earlier than I got to know GG, which is unusual, usually the bands I met earliest have a deeper impact on me, but in this case GG gets my vote.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:13
I like listening to the Thick as a Brick album, and I've heard a few other thing from them on classic rock radio like Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, etc. All pretty good, I like it. But this is Gentle FREAKING Giant we're talking about here.. come on now.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:28

From what I understand it was never GG's intention to "show off." They had the experience and musical knowledge to make intricate and interesting music and used their skills to do that. I used to think the same thing though that they were trying to upstage other bands and be better than everyone else and were like "hey, look at us" but then I spoke to someone who was a very big fan and he didn't think that was the case. I don't really think most musicians are about showing off anyway. I think that tends to be the fans perspective not the bands. I could be wrotg though. Who knows for sure.

You may be right that they didn't do it on purpose... I'm writing about my listening experience and my subjective impressions, but I can't know their intentions. Chances are their songs seemed properly right to them emotionally and musically, and I just can't connect that well (occasionally I can). But then people don't know themselves what goes on subconsciously.

Let's say there's always a certain danger to get carried away by one's own abilities.

Edited by Lewian - September 21 2019 at 14:33
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:53
Compare years.
1970 Tull-Teacher and Witches promise are rippers
1971 Tull-2 albums worth of tunes, but Acquiring is cool 
1972 Tull-Friends is great but Thick greater
1973-Tull-Close call between Passion and Glass but Tull also have Left right and Audition
1974 Tull-Power is GG's best maybe and better than Warchild, but Tulls 2 albums worth is stronger 
1975 Giant-Freehand is cool and Minstrel is Tull at their weakest
1976 Tull-Interview is better than Too old but I love Commercial, Cigar, Cartoon etc. Great outtakes
1977 Tull-Songs from the wood and Old aces is quality
1978 Tull-Horses is very good while Giant average
1979 Tull-2 albums worth will be awesome but I do like Civilian 

Giant were pretty competitive most years though

Edited by dr prog - September 21 2019 at 17:07
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 14:55
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

You may be right that they didn't do it on purpose... I'm writing about my listening experience and my subjective impressions, but I can't know their intentions. Chances are their songs seemed properly right to them emotionally and musically, and I just can't connect that well (occasionally I can). But then people don't know themselves what goes on subconsciously.

Let's say there's always a certain danger to get carried away by one's own abilities.

I think the band most guilty of that(if anyone is)would be ELP. However, I like GG and ELP so it was never really a problem for me.

As for the criticism(by the other person who responded)of them putting too much in their music well that's kind of subjective. What one person might think is too much someone else might think is not enough and apparently there are other bands more complex than GG(some of the RIO bands for example). I would like some specific examples of what you guys think is too much. There are some moments on Free Hand where I think maybe they go a little overboard but other than that I don't hear it much. Then again different ears hear different things. 

For me what GG accomplished that other bands didn't was their ability to make music that was very melodic yet at the same time very complex. For me that is the goal for prog. Most bands seem to focus on one or the other but GG did what most bands couldn't do and for that alone they should be applauded. That being said I understand the criticisms and even for my own personal taste I prefer Camel and VDGG although GG do deserve the respect they get and outside of hardcore prog circles are indeed pretty under rated.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 16:59

I think the band most guilty of that(if anyone is)would be ELP. However, I like GG and ELP so it was never really a problem for me.

As for the criticism(by the other person who responded)of them putting too much in their music well that's kind of subjective. What one person might think is too much someone else might think is not enough and apparently there are other bands more complex than GG(some of the RIO bands for example). I would like some specific examples of what you guys think is too much. There are some moments on Free Hand where I think maybe they go a little overboard but other than that I don't hear it much. Then again different ears hear different things. 

For me what GG accomplished that other bands didn't was their ability to make music that was very melodic yet at the same time very complex. For me that is the goal for prog. Most bands seem to focus on one or the other but GG did what most bands couldn't do and for that alone they should be applauded. That being said I understand the criticisms and even for my own personal taste I prefer Camel and VDGG although GG do deserve the respect they get and outside of hardcore prog circles are indeed pretty under rated.

GG were a great band. The best music is the melodic stuff. Always will be. My fave 6 bands are probably tull, le orme, giant, camel, graaf, magma in that order. Le Orme are awesome
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 17:49
Well if they had gotten into a fight, only Jethro Tull came out alive.  For me it's an equal.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

and then there's the 1978 album Giant For A Day........Tull never ventured into crap territory such as that

Really? How about Underwraps?

Giant gets my vote.

When Underwraps was released it was actually a 180 degree turnaround from Broadsword (which I loath). It is a much unwarranted, maligned album IMHO. I actually love it. Martin Barre has stated it is one of his favourites. OK, the drum machine was a bad idea but Anderson (again) went out on a limb; it wasn't commercial but most tracks are in my opinion decent; yes, there are a couple of stinkers but there are also some gems. So no, Tull never went into crap territory that GG went to....a la Giant For A Day.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:59
^I've never actually heard it but what is it you hate so much about Broadsword?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 20:33
Broadsword should be a ripper remix. Wilson just needs to fix up the drums on Beastie and Jackalynn etc. He’ll improve every song but some songs have sh*t drums and need to be fixed
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 20:46
Tull
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:00
Tull gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

GG were a great band. The best music is the melodic stuff. Always will be. My fave 6 bands are probably tull, le orme, giant, camel, graaf, magma in that order. Le Orme are awesome

I guess everyone's perception of melodic is different.  With few exceptions I see Gentle Giant as quite the opposite, while I think Tull is usually pretty melodic
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 09:53
^Well, maybe I'm not typical but for me melodic is not the be all end all. It can be very important but it's not the only thing that makes something good. I can even think of one album I consider great that isn't very melodic at all and that is "phaedra" by Tangerine Dream.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 15:07
GG for me. I bought their vinyls so long ago. So many master pieces I still enjoy almost 50 years after!
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 17:08
I love GG but my vote goes to Tull. They have had much more impact on me for all those passed years (and it's more than 35 years I've heard JT for the very first time).
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 01:34

^I've never actually heard it but what is it you hate so much about Broadsword?

It's the only Tull album that has an "outside" producer in Paul Samwell-Smith.

I remember when I first heard it I was looking for something akin to "A", which was their previous album. But they took a backward step (IMHO), it had a very commercial sound to it and to me it's very over-produced.

A number of songs are sickly sweet e.g. Pussywillow, Flying Colours, Slow Marching Band and no track to me stands out.

Watching Me, Watching You is about the only song on the album that I would probably listen to and everything else is commercialized crap. So yes BATB is actually my least favourite Tull album.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:24
love Gentle Giant

but i have to go with Tull
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>